Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I've been mulling over and a bit torn really. I'm aware & follow all the numbers. When things were going so well earlier in spring I was surprised the cases didn't drop below 2.5K really, guess it pointed to an amount still going around. The other numbers haven't climbed in pace with the cases, but they have gone up. I suspect to actually turn the numbers around we actually need a proper lockdown and there's little stomach for that. All through the challenges we had the "but can do this but can't do that" arguments, and with the big sporting events etc. this is increasing (only need to go up a few posts). So I can see the "gamble" in let's just crack on, let people make their own decisions and ride it out.
I'll be in the remaing cautious category, and am aware some just won't have that choice. Fingers & toes crossed.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've been mulling over and a bit torn really. I'm aware & follow all the numbers. When things were going so well earlier in spring I was surprised the cases didn't drop below 2.5K really, guess it pointed to an amount still going around. The other numbers haven't climbed in pace with the cases, but they have gone up. I suspect to actually turn the numbers around we actually need a proper lockdown and there's little stomach for that. All through the challenges we had the "but can do this but can't do that" arguments, and with the big sporting events etc. this is increasing (only need to go up a few posts). So I can see the "gamble" in let's just crack on, let people make their own decisions and ride it out.
I'll be in the remaing cautious category, and am aware some just won't have that choice. Fingers & toes crossed.

I’m definitely in the remaining cautious category. Spain and bloody paperwork. Both in our 60’s, still no sign of being jabbed. Very uncomfortable with the relaxation…

BubbaP

Visit site
I’m definitely in the remaining cautious category. Spain and bloody paperwork. Both in our 60’s, still no sign of being jabbed. Very uncomfortable with the relaxation…
Yeah, that's not good at all and does add perspective. Are the locals having the same experience?
We're a big family and as of today everyone has had at least one vaccination (youngest is 21), so that gives a degree of comfort.
At least you have the weather! (rain currently bouncing off the windows here)

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we've all been gifted a get out of jail free card when it comes to getting stopped for speeding. We can just use Boris's words to justify the fact we were over the limit.....

"Boris Johnson - asked whether he will wear a mask himself - says "it depends on the circumstances". He draws comparison between busy rush-hour Tube and empty late-night rail carriage. PM says it's all about "personal responsibility".

So if I get stopped for doing 120mph on the M11 at 2am I can just say "It depends on the circumstances, it wasn't a busy rush hour motorway, it was an empty late night motorway. It's all about personal responsibility".

NB. the above is not actual legal advice and might not get you out of a fine or ban.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Wimbledon Court 1 with roof shut this evening becomes indoor venue with 15,000 mostly unmasked spectators sitting cheek by jowl, shouting their heads off and cheering. Just like any gig in most venues. Should they have donned masks when the roof was shut? Yes it may be well ventilated but so are many venues. And I might suggest that the average age of Wimbledon spectator is a lot higher (50+?) than that for most gigs and, as I understand it, the former remain more at risk from illness despite their being mostly double vaccinated.

Your question implies you still don't understand that masks do not prevent aerosol transmission,,! The virus is in in breath whichobviously goes through masks, otherwise you would asphyxiate !The virus is so small that the mask does not filter it. Because you breath others breath in enclosed spaces quite readily, but hardly ever in the open air and a lot less in well ventilated indoor settings, indoor settings are where aerosol transmission easily happens.
Masks only stop droplets (in breath) and you only get those from someone close to you- sneezing, or shouting , talking loudly, laughing etc.
So, they would help in nightclubs , but there would still be the aerosol transmission in nightclubs- not the most ventilated of places!
If gigs, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas are to re open, then mask wearing in those places becomes somewhat irrelevant, and if it were, I opine it would be an unenforceable law.
Notwithstanding this, the briefing did still recommend the use of masks in relevant places, and even to do so if it instllled confidence around you doing so.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Your question implies you still don't understand that masks do not prevent aerosol transmission,,! The virus is in in breath whichobviously goes through masks, otherwise you would asphyxiate !The virus is so small that the mask does not filter it. Because you breath others breath in enclosed spaces quite readily, but hardly ever in the open air and a lot less in well ventilated indoor settings, indoor settings are where aerosol transmission easily happens.
Masks only stop droplets (in breath) and you only get those from someone close to you- sneezing, or shouting , talking loudly, laughing etc.
So, they would help in nightclubs , but there would still be the aerosol transmission in nightclubs- not the most ventilated of places!
If gigs, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas are to re open, then mask wearing in those places becomes somewhat irrelevant, and if it were, I opine it would be an unenforceable law.
Notwithstanding this, the briefing did still recommend the use of masks in relevant places, and even to do so if it instllled confidence around you doing so.

You sound like someone who gets their information from Twitter and YouTube videos. Proper surgical masks help reduce aerosol transmission and there are studies to show this.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since I've been at work we have had 3 trains delayed due to customers kicking off with each other over not wearing a mask

Now we have one stabbed for it

Roll on the 19th ..

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
We've been fed the story since the pandemic began that countries like Germany had such low infection rates because they had much better testing facilities than we did so could keep the virus under control. Now we're being told the reason our infection rates are through the roof is due to our testing being better than other countries ?. Scotland now has the highest rate in Europe and the UK has more infections than the EU. I suspect we are doing something very wrong.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...dness-manchester-city-centre-england-20965415

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the 20 somethings in the office decided to go to the pub to watch the England vs Germany game, a ticketed event with tables of 6 and a band on after the game. All within the guidelines, but perhaps not a sensible/responsible choice. Surprise, surprise the social distancing went out the window as the alcohol was consumed and the goals went in. By Friday he is coughing and spluttering in the office, goes for a test, positive result on Saturday.

So now I am self isolating and working from home until close of play next Monday. I have a project starting today, another starting next Monday, site visits booked later this week in Kent and Wales, the Mrs works in the NHS and has a unique role that will not easily be able to cover should she have to self isolate, the lad is supposed to be doing his DofE expedition next weekend, so if I test positive he will have to self isolate and miss that, semi-final of the club foursomes was booked for Thursday and closing date for the round is Sunday, suffice to say I am not a happy bunny this morning!

ah well! as long as they had a great night at the footie hey!

See above.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You sound like someone who gets their information from Twitter and YouTube videos. Proper surgical masks help reduce aerosol transmission and there are studies to show this.

That might well be true but how many of us are wearing proper surgical masks? Most of us wear a selection of cloth masks which have spent the last 18 months in various coat and trouser pockets. I would guess that these masks and little to no effect on stopping the spread of the virus.

D

Deleted member 16999

But we know people can be idiots, the surge in cases in Glasgow was blamed on the Scotland Fans returning from Wembley, and that begged the question why so many without tickets were allowed to travel the length of the Country.

All sporting events run this risk and expecting fans not to celebrate if their team is deemed to of been succesful is daft.

The only way to avoided this will of been to cancel the Euros.

RichA

Visit site
That might well be true but how many of us are wearing proper surgical masks? Most of us wear a selection of cloth masks which have spent the last 18 months in various coat and trouser pockets. I would guess that these masks and little to no effect on stopping the spread of the virus.
We've been doing this for 18 months. I can't grasp why anyone didn't just buy a dozen decent quality multi-layer cloth masks and wash them as often as you'd wash your underwear.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I did ask Ethan earlier if there was any evidence for how effective face coverings are.

Surgical masks may stop aerosol transmission. But for how long? And how many people wear surgical masks, and know how to use them?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For all the talk of opening up, it looks like it could be a very stilted affair; having shouted from the rooftops that West End theatre is open, performances of Hairspray have been cancelled for 10 days because of a positive Covid test in the production team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57725704

Apart from the knock on economic effects, it won't be good for the mental health got those who have booked themselves a pack-me-up to have it cancelled. I wonder how often this will happen & how long it will go on for?
After the 19th the rest of the cast will no longer have to isolate. They will have to take daily tests but otherwise they will carry on. Bring the sub off the bench, away you go.

The above is going to be clarified I believe, I'm not sure if the non isolators need to have been double jabbed or not. In effect though, the bubble system and widespread isolation will be binned off.

BubbaP

Visit site
Interesting closing lines here:
"We are, perhaps, the first country to find ourselves in this situation, where we are attempting to return to normal in the face of a rapidly rising rate of infection and a more infectious variant, Delta.
Others will soon face similar dilemmas. It's why the world will be watching what happens on these shores."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57678942

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting closing lines here:
"We are, perhaps, the first country to find ourselves in this situation, where we are attempting to return to normal in the face of a rapidly rising rate of infection and a more infectious variant, Delta.
Others will soon face similar dilemmas. It's why the world will be watching what happens on these shores."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57678942

Another way of being "world beating" lol typical

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since I've been at work we have had 3 trains delayed due to customers kicking off with each other over not wearing a mask

Now we have one stabbed for it

Roll on the 19th ..
There have been plenty of examples from the states of mask non-wearers ‘accosting’ wearers and demanding, sometimes physically, that the wearer remove their mask as it is making the non-wearer feel uncomfortable. This is the opposite of the sort of reasonable practice we are being encouraged to adopt...I.e. put a mask on if someone close to you feels uncomfortable by you not wearing one.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There have been plenty of examples from the states of mask non-wearers ‘accosting’ wearers and demanding, sometimes physically, that the wearer remove their mask as it is making the non-wearer feel uncomfortable. This is the opposite of the sort of reasonable practice we are being encouraged to adopt...I.e. put a mask on if someone close to you feels uncomfortable by you not wearing one.

This is going to kick off big time. When an idiot [person in a certain role which cannot be discussed here] declares bluntly without any qualification that he will stop wearing masks on July 19th, we can expect many other idiots to follow suit and see it as a badge of their very identity and a measure of their [redacted] size.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is going to kick off big time. When an idiot [person in a certain role which cannot be discussed here] declares bluntly without any qualification that he will stop wearing masks on July 19th, we can expect many other idiots to follow suit and see it as a badge of their very identity and a measure of their [redacted] size.

Surely this sort of language is just going to make things worse? Why are people automatically branded 'idiots' for not wearing a mask? If the legal requirement has changed you would assume there has been some scientific input into it even if there are numbers that don't agree so then it becomes personal choice. If you go around calling all non-wearers of masks idiots it will just encourage the other side to come back with the whole 'bed wetters' comment and it gets messy. It comes down to personal choice after that and I don't think anyone should be judged on it.