Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The thread is all about how YOU are affected by the pandemic - is it just me me me ?
Look...I am affected by the coronavirus by how it impacts me directly and also how I am affected by the impact it has had on those closest to me and the knock-on affect of those on me. For a while there was also the impact on me and my Mrs by how the pandemic was impacting on my MiL and BiL, but with the vaccinations that knock-on on us from them is much less, though still exists.

fFrom what I gather the relaxations planned for the 19th are great news for my son and therefore for me also, though I think the ‘no need for masks’ is a relaxation too far - and I fail to understand the reasoNing for that relaxation - it could easily have been kept though in some of the populace it might not have been popular.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
To be fair, his son is the bigger picture now. There are a few industries that have been massively hit throughout this and continue to be hit. Semi relaxation of rules etc is not going to help them. So what do we do now. 64% of the sdult population have had 2 jabs, over 80% had had one jab. That is pretty much as protected as we can be. A time has to come when we have to try and return to some form of normality. and better now in the summer than in the harder conditions of the winter months.

It would be easy for me to profess the benefits of keeping restrictions. I have not lost anything during lockdown, I have worked every day and had a garden to sit in when stuck at home and, to be honest, the thought of normality makes me nervous as hell but I am in a very privileged position and so I have to look at it from the other side. If I had lost everything during lockdown and been struck at home with no money and not a days work in 18 months then suspect my outlook would be very different.

Maybe this is the time to come back out of our shells.

And maybe for some this have changed for ever; certainly the foreseeable future. One of my wife's old school friends and her family visited at the weekend. The daughter, who is 25 and is not over anxious but tends towards the cautious, says she can never envisage visiting a nightclub again. That may change in years to come, but at the moment you can open what you like, she won't be there. How many others are thinking that way? Despite being double jabbed, Mrs BiM and I have no desire to fly at the moment, as much as we both need the break.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Seems as though it's now financial reasons rather than health reasons making the decision on reopening everything. Two weeks ago we were told that step 4 would be pushed back. Infections are now far higher than they were but we're getting rid of all restrictions. Surely as a minimum face masks on public transport and enclosed spaces should have been kept. Is this a government buck passing exercise where the public will be blamed for further rises because they didn't follow "guidance" on masks now it's no longer the law?

Having listened to Prof Whitty at the briefing, when he outlined when he would wear a mask, ( agree with him), I cannot see why there is a vital difference between "guidance" and "the law".
Just how much difference did it being against the law make to the wearing of a mask? Are you now going to stop wearing a mask because it is not now against the law? Or will you wear one when it helps the situation?
How many people were done for breaking this law?
How many only wore one because the law was there? And would have chosen not to wear one but for the law, notwithstanding the need for protection where they were?
I would have liked to see more highlighting of the circumstances when masks were needed, and why ( and when not). They only protect from airborne droplets - and they only travel limited distance. If you are not within that distance of anyone, then no need. But if you are , then (please) wear one.

They do not protect against aerosol transmission, which I suggest, is a main transmission route when indoors and confined spaces..
Suppose you have, say, six to ten people all round a table in a pub.
Masks would save droplet transmission amongst them, .That would occur whilst eating goes on, because eating is not done in silence in pubs!
And already masks aren't worn whilst eating/drinking.
And masks wouldn't stop aerosol transmission amongst them , or anyone else at other tables ( without extraordinary ventilation)

Now, nightclubs- masks stop droplets but not aerosol. Masks worn in nightclubs is clearly not going to happen, even though droplets will be flying around.
Theatres ,the same?
Clearly the Government ( and Silh?) want the entertainment industry, and others, to start up again. I think compulsory masks would be incompatible with that.

So, with all that, are masks as vital as some are saying?

Nevertheless,let's hope the public will voluntarily wear them as circumstances demand.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned there's no change regarding mask wearing and I'll continue to find them in every pocket alongside a dog poo bag!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Look...I am affected by the coronavirus by how it impacts me directly and also how I am affected by the impact it has had on those closest to me and the knock-on affect of those on me. For a while there was also the impact on me and my Mrs by how the pandemic was impacting on my MiL and BiL, but with the vaccinations that knock-on on us from them is much less, though still exists.

Yep, I work in the hospitality industry and understand exactly how it has affected that industry and individuals

D

Deleted member 16999

To be fair, his son is the bigger picture now. There are a few industries that have been massively hit throughout this and continue to be hit. Semi relaxation of rules etc is not going to help them. So what do we do now. 64% of the sdult population have had 2 jabs, over 80% had had one jab. That is pretty much as protected as we can be. A time has to come when we have to try and return to some form of normality. and better now in the summer than in the harder conditions of the winter months.

It would be easy for me to profess the benefits of keeping restrictions. I have not lost anything during lockdown, I have worked every day and had a garden to sit in when stuck at home and, to be honest, the thought of normality makes me nervous as hell but I am in a very privileged position and so I have to look at it from the other side. If I had lost everything during lockdown and been struck at home with no money and not a days work in 18 months then suspect my outlook would be very different.

Maybe this is the time to come back out of our shells.
His son and other Industries have been the bigger picture for a long time now, what I’m asking him is, if the situation is worse than last when the so called “Freedom Day” was delayed, how can it now be ok to simply state “Open everything” surely we should still be following the science?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
His son and other Industries have been the bigger picture for a long time now, what I’m asking him is, if the situation is worse than last when the so called “Freedom Day” was delayed, how can it now be ok to simply state “Open everything” surely we should still be following the science?
Another month of vaccines with everyone 18 and above able to be jabbed

D

Deleted member 16999

Another month of vaccines with everyone 18 and above able to be jabbed
Infection rates now back at Feb levels, if that is not a concern, somebody please step up and announce it.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how you can make that claim when you look at the latest figures…..

View attachment 37392

Deaths extremely low

View attachment 37390

Hospitalisation extremely low

We need to start getting over it, it’s been bad but all the evidence suggests that the worst is behind us and it’s time to start getting back to normal. Seems that a lot of people are reluctant to let it go but it’s time to get back to work.

Because on 14th June when they made the decision to delay reopening on 21st June there were 7606 positive test results. By 21st June that was up to 10467. Yesterday (4th July) there were 23818 and they have decided to drop all restrictions. The figures show that cases are doubling roughly every 9 days so by 19th July cases are likely to be over 50000. If we then remove all restrictions the cases will double more quickly than every 9 days. By the end of July we could easily be over 100k cases per day and still rising.

Yes it's time to ease restrictions but simple things like masks on public transport and in enclosed spaces don't stop people getting back to work. In fact by removing the requirement to wear masks on public transport you could very well be stopping vulnerable people from going back to work if they have to use public transport and don't feel safe doing so. You only have to look at the number of ??s that refused to wear masks when they were compulsory to realise that making them advisory isn't going to work.

Would you rather be going into September and the start of Autumn with 150-200k cases, or more, per day or would you rather go into Autumn with far fewer cases per day because the mask rules have not been relaxed? The greater number of cases there are in the population the higher the risk of a mutation that rapidly makes things go downhill.

The only difference between 14th June, when the delay to restrictions was announced, and today, when all restrictions are going to be lifted, is the number of people vaccinated. Double jabbed total on 14th June was 30.2 million. Double jabbed total yesterday was 33.7 million. Is that really a big enough difference to justify binning off all the rules?

Seems that the mantra of "data not dates" has been conveniently forgotten and it's now all about the dates.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Maybe by the whatever date everything opens up a critical mass will have been vaccinated. Maybe there are less people being hospitalised with it now. Or maybe the critical factor in the equation is the economy.

Disappointed with the hairy fairy guidance on mask wearing. Too many will just ignore guidance.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'll be honest, I'll continue to wear a mask but if I get to the door and can't find one I won't go back for it now ..

Mandatory in Spain to carry one. There are places where they’re not needed but if you’re outside your front door you could be asked to show it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s sensible to wear masks in crowded places.
But lots will avoid those places anyway.
Will be interesting to see what big supermarkets and large venues will have as a policy.
My guess no restrictions as they open up .

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe by the whatever date everything opens up a critical mass will have been vaccinated. Maybe there are less people being hospitalised with it now. Or maybe the critical factor in the equation is the economy.

Disappointed with the hairy fairy guidance on mask wearing. Too many will just ignore guidance.

From memory we need to get to 70% fully vaccinated (double jabbed) to achieve herd immunity and for the virus to struggle to spread. As of yesterday 33.7 million were double jabbed which is roughly 50% of the population. To hit that target we need to vaccinate approx 20% of the population in the next two weeks. Between 14th June and yesterday 3.5 million people got their second jab. We've got absolutely no chance of reaching 70% by 19th July. We'd need to give another 13 million 2nd jabs between now and then to hit that target, and even if we do that won't be enough as full protection doesn't happen until 2 to 3 weeks after the second jab.