Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 35237

Slide 2: Title self explanatory. clear date sample. This is percentages, when absolutes have been used previously it could throw people off.

Only 2 age groups this time. Why? The median age is 40 in the UK, why has 65 been used?
- we saw the difference in absolute numbers, between the young and middle group in the last despite the middle group covering 30 less years!
- no mention or splitting of those in severe or high risk groups. What percentage of them is in each?
It makes sense for 65 to be used because that is the current "divide" between those being vaccinated and those not. It simply shows that nearly half the people currently going into hospital, are coming from the "not getting vaccinated any time soon" category. A simple way of showing that we're not out the woods yet and still need to be cautious. (And yes, I know there are some "younger but vulnerable" being done, but that doesnt really alter the point).

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
It makes sense for 65 to be used because that is the current "divide" between those being vaccinated and those not. It simply shows that nearly half the people currently going into hospital, are coming from the "not getting vaccinated any time soon" category. A simple way of showing that we're not out the woods yet and still need to be cautious. (And yes, I know there are some "younger but vulnerable" being done, but that doesnt really alter the point).

- The current group of underlying health conditions and unpaid carers is only just smaller (circa 700k/ 2 days of vaccination) than everyone 70 and over in the country, not sure that's negligible.

- When you add in that those 60-65 make up a huge percentage of the groups admissions, and seem to be getting vaccinated.

Obviously we know why they've presented the data in this way. If they used the median or age groups from the previous slide, compliance would be an issue.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
- The current group of underlying health conditions and unpaid carers is only just smaller (circa 700k/ 2 days of vaccination) than everyone 70 and over in the country, not sure that's negligible.

- When you add in that those 60-65 make up a huge percentage of the groups admissions, and seem to be getting vaccinated.

Obviously we know why they've presented the data in this way. If they used the median or age groups from the previous slide, compliance would be an issue.
I'd be interested to see the numbers you working from. In my mind ithat doesnt add up, so happy to see the numbers which show otherwise.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be interested to see the numbers you working from. In my mind ithat doesnt add up, so happy to see the numbers which show otherwise.

Google gives a figure of almost 8.8 million people in the UK over the age of 70. By my reading he's suggesting that there are 8.1 million unpaid carers or people with underlying health conditions.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Google gives a figure of almost 8.8 million people in the UK over the age of 70. By my reading he's suggesting that there are 8.1 million unpaid carers or people with underlying health conditions.

Exactly this, There's 7.3m in the above group + 1.2 Severely at risk Under 70 = 8.5m

You'd have to take an amount off the severe at risk group to account for the 65-70 year olds, so I just ball parked it.

Dataset was from NHSEI.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Vaccination booked for tomorrow.:)

Almost wish we were still in the UK. HID has a very rare form of colitis and I have angina, high BP(even with meds) and am recovering from bowel cancer, and we might get the jab in Sept...................

Seriously, apart from the fragmentated lockdowns and lack of acceptance of the rules in the UK I really wish I was in the UK right now... apart from the cwappy weather of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Almost wish we were still in the UK. HID has a very rare form of colitis and I have angina, high BP(even with meds) and am recovering from bowel cancer, and we might get the jab in Sept...................

Seriously, apart from the fragmentated lockdowns and lack of acceptance of the rules in the UK I really wish I was in the UK right... apart from the cwappy weather of course.
Really can’t knock the vaccination programme, Jonny and Donna got done last week as part of the vulnerable group and I’ve moved up one group as the registered carer.

So Seaham currently on the 60-64 age group + carers.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

Seriously, apart from the fragmentated lockdowns and lack of acceptance of the rules in the UK I really wish I was in the UK right... apart from the cwappy weather of course.

It's not all perfect, I have Chron's. I was told to stop taking my immunosuppressants until I get a vaccine.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Is that within 12 weeks of your first, just out of curiosity?

I ask only because you’re the first person I have read/heard of getting an appointment for your second jab. What’s your experience of the process been?
I was given my second appointment the day I booked my first, 11 weeks apart. I get my second on 11th April.