Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that’s what a lot expected - he said that schools etc would get prior notice of what happens next

So on 22nd that gives two weeks for schools and businesses to get themselves ready

Potentially golf clubs as well - and within some sort of Tier system no doubt.

Sadly I think that you may be jumping the gun. I suspect that schools are all that will open on 8th March.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sadly I think that you may be jumping the gun. I suspect that schools are all that will open on 8th March.
I can’t see how they can open schools up but yet keep outdoor sports like Tennis clubs etc closed - or indeed any other businesses that have shown to be able to work within Covid guidelines.

Schools , Universities and Pubs etc are areas that they have always seen as the biggest issues.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can’t see how they can open schools up but yet keep outdoor sports like Tennis clubs etc closed - or indeed any other businesses that have shown to be able to work within Covid guidelines.

Schools , Universities and Pubs etc are areas that they have always seen as the biggest issues.

Because schools are seen as the priority to the detriment of all else. Not saying it was the sole cause but numbers shot up last time when schools and universities went back. I suspect schools will be opened in isolation to start with to see the impact for a few weeks, maybe further relaxation at the end of March.

D

Deleted member 25172

Perhaps, perhaps not, but that's what he said in the commons today. Schools to open first, and then further social restrictions to follow after.

I'm gonna guess Saturday 1st April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-...11794e54a69202e80ddea3&pinned_post_type=share

NearHull

Visit site
I understand that a considerable number of deaths occur in some people who appear to be getting better and then take a sudden and rapid decline. Is it known when this occurs? I believe the unfortunate patients who suffer this decline are in Intensive Care. I’m trying to get my head around the issue where someone appears to be recovering or perhaps holding their own and then suffers this tragic occurrence in so much as when do the professionals make the judgement that the recovery is ‘real’ and the irrecoverable relapse will not happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because schools are seen as the priority to the detriment of all else. Not saying it was the sole cause but numbers shot up last time when schools and universities went back. I suspect schools will be opened in isolation to start with to see the impact for a few weeks, maybe further relaxation at the end of March.

I really can’t see it lasting until end of March if the vaccine program carries on and the numbers have reduced which is key - end of March/April for the likes of hospitality areas then yes but I can see. Tier system from when they open schools again - it might be Tier 3 and 4 for many .

But the numbers will be the key

D

Deleted member 15344

He also corrected himself by saying Schools opening up 8th March and after other areas and then changed to “then or after” - which to me points to some levels of easing at the same time ?‍♂️

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand that a considerable number of deaths occur in some people who appear to be getting better and then take a sudden and rapid decline. Is it known when this occurs? I believe the unfortunate patients who suffer this decline are in Intensive Care. I’m trying to get my head around the issue where someone appears to be recovering or perhaps holding their own and then suffers this tragic occurrence in so much as when do the professionals make the judgement that the recovery is ‘real’ and the irrecoverable relapse will not happen.
Not just ICU, heard of a very upsetting case where the wife was phoned to come and collect her husband who had been hospitalised that he was well enough to go home and could she come and collect him but unfortunately by the time she got there he had had a relapse and died .

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Day 7 or so, when the cytokine storm (a massive immune reaction) occurs. This is the point when this moves from being a lung condition to a systemic inflammatory reaction affecting heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, vasculature. There is some evidence just published that people who are likely to go this route have higher levels of certain substances in their bodies early in disease, so that offers an opportunity to line up some treatments like tocilizumab in time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really can’t see it lasting until end of March if the vaccine program carries on and the numbers have reduced which is key - end of March/April for the likes of hospitality areas then yes but I can see. Tier system from when they open schools again - it might be Tier 3 and 4 for many .

But the numbers will be the key

Totally selfish but from my point of view, Tier 3 or 4 makes next to no difference to full lockdown.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Schools MIGHT open up from 8th March and judging from some people it will be a very phased opening and not every school from 9am if indeed it will be that date

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that’s what a lot expected - he said that schools etc would get prior notice of what happens next

So on 22nd that gives two weeks for schools and businesses to get themselves ready

Potentially golf clubs as well - and within some sort of Tier system no doubt.

March 8th looks a lot like the date by which they expect to have all 70+ done, plus 2 or 3 weeks.

By then, I suspect the backbenchers will be going berserk demanding opening up, and there could be an irresistible momentum behind more opening up, in time for Easter.

It is going to be really difficult to impose and have acceptance for more tightening after this, because of vaccination, improving weather, fatigue and general stroppiness, so they had better get it right. If the vaccination programme stalls due to supply problems, or there is a new strain which changes the dynamics again, it could all go bad quickly.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think the difference was the collective pull in the same direction and most were in the same boat. In this some have had a pretty easy ride on a financial front whilst others have watched their businesses, savings etc all disappear. We've got around 5% of the working population who are in this situation through no fault of their own yet 'no one has been left behind'. You then have people questioning why some aren't sticking to lockdown or no isolating. In a lot of cases they cannot afford to.

Now the goalposts have shifted slightly. No problem, because we aren't talking "want no lockdown cos of mental issues" . We are now talking about financial effects of lockdown.
Yes, some have had it very hard, business wise, financially etc; but , as I understand it, in this lockdown the government have said work from home if you can, if not , go to work.
Though , of course, some businesses have had to close. Hospitality being in the forefront.
I am not au fait with what financial help is or is not available from Chancellor,
for working people financially affected,
but I do not doubt some people have come off very badly through no fault of their own
Now, they do have reason to worry, and, yes, the sooner this is over for them , particularly, the better. So, if we all keep to the guidelines to knock down the deaths, hospital patients, etc, the sooner the easements will happen, surely?
We can't keep going partly out then back into lockdown, again and again.
Making these decisions,government wise, is not easy. Pressures from all different directions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally selfish but from my point of view, Tier 3 or 4 makes next to no difference to full lockdown.
We have been in tier 3 since October and the difference between that and a post Christmas lockdown is minimal in reality. I'm not sure, other than schools being shut, that I could tell you the difference without googling it. In reality it's lockdown or tiers 1 and 2. Anything else is window dressing or spin.

I know it's necessary but it doesn't mean we can't grumble about how rubbish it is right now.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have been in tier 3 since October and the difference between that and a post Christmas lockdown is minimal in reality. I'm not sure, other than schools being shut, that I could tell you the difference without googling it. In reality it's lockdown or tiers 1 and 2. Anything else is window dressing or spin.

I know it's necessary but it doesn't mean we can't grumble about how rubbish it is right now.

Tier 3 allowed you to meet more than one other outside , Amatuer sports still going on , golf clubs , tennis clubs etc still open and other work places still open

Basically the only thing you couldn’t do was go to a pub and a restaurant or get your hair cut

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tier 3 allowed you to meet more than one other outside , Amatuer sports still going on , golf clubs , tennis clubs etc still open and other work places still open

Basically the only thing you couldn’t do was go to a pub and a restaurant or get your hair cut
Minimal in reality. I could meet people outside, up to 6, but it's winter so sitting in the garden was off. Yes to golf. Shops were open but the pleasure was sucked out of that by number restrictions inside, one way systems etc.

The social aspect of meeting people in a pleasant environment was largely off the table. Not in your house, not in their house, not in a cafe, not in a bar, not in a restaurant.

The reality of tier 3 and full lockdown, certainly in winter, is too close to make a big difference.

D

Deleted member 15344

Minimal in reality. I could meet people outside, up to 6, but it's winter so sitting in the garden was off. Yes to golf. Shops were open but the pleasure was sucked out of that by number restrictions inside, one way systems etc.

The social aspect of meeting people in a pleasant environment was largely off the table. The reality of tier 3 and full lockdown, certainly in winter, is too close to make a big difference.
All depends

It was good for all those people playing Amatuer sport - and very good for the thousands of golf courses to still be open to allow the hundreds of thousands to still play a round of golf

when they do ease restrictions then it’s not going to allow everyone to do what they want - each step will allow something more and it’s about grabbing those opportunities- being able to mix with more than 1 other will be good for a lot of people but it’s going to be outside first until at least April

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE=", or there is a new strain which changes the dynamics again, it could all go bad quickly.[/QUOTE]

Oh they’ll definitely be a new more virulent magical strain just around the end of feb so we can be battery hens even longer! The dangling carrot will be wizzed away quicker than you can say lockdown.