Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I just had to bold some of your post. I can't work out if you are blaming young people for the rise in hospitalisations, whilst complaining about people blaming others. Forgive me if I'm miles of the mark.

The average age of a covid patient has indeed gone down, from 60.2 to 58.8. It's hardly a dramatic drop, 1.4 years.

Edit: I'm not sure doing as we were told would have been enough. I'll get a holiday if I go more into it. But we were let down by those that decide, too late on almost everything. (Apart from vaccination, that seems to be going very well!)

Thats me! In almost every other medical situation, assessment is made on quality of life/impact on society. In this situation hospitals are packed full of mainly more experienced people with covid. Younger people are having appointments cancelled because hospitals can't cope. I know it's an emotive subject, but it's not unreasonable to think something has to change.

am 57 and 10/12ths or 58 in March that’s getting a little close for my comfort ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
A colleague died today of covid. He was 44 with no health issues at all. He was contacted via track and trace xmas eve and was administered to hospital a week ago. He posted on Facebook yesterday that he's feeling better and would be out soon ?. Certainly made it hit home

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't want to withhold care from older people.

I want older people to get more protection, so they aren't ending up in hospital. They need to pick up grandkids from school, no. Employers should be forced to work with parents, or subsidies given to allow one parent to stop working till the pandemic is over. They should have priority over delivery slots for food and essentials. If they need social care, a fully vaccinated and sterile social worker should check up on them. They need to get to hospital appointments, a sterile transfer should be given to them to save them getting a taxi. Those younger people who want to see those at risk should have a legal responsibility to follow the exact same tighter restrictions.

I haven't said anything of an age limit, but the current one size fits all approach isn't doing its job. Those who are "high risk" are in hospital in record numbers, a year after the initial outbreak. It's not good enough.

The problem with the bit in bold (as I understand it) is that they don't yet know if the vaccination prevents a person from getting the virus and passing it on to others. Possibly @Ethan will be able to confirm or correct this. If it is correct then there are too many interactions between the younger generation and the older generation to be able to isolate the vulnerable.

As an example, Mrs Colch's mum is disabled an has a carer in twice a day to help with getting her up, washed and dressed and then the reverse in the evening. A few days ago we found out that the regular carer had tested positive for Covid. Mrs Colch's mum and dad are now both unwell and waiting for the results of their Covid tests. The carer has her son and daughter in law living with her and they contracted the virus and passed it to her. How can you possibly isolate or protect the elderly and vulnerable in that situation? They need the carer to go in each day. To protect Mrs Colch's parents the carer would have to also isolate, as would her son and daughter in law and also their children if they have any. It's just not possible to protect the elderly and vulnerable and let those less at risk go about their lives as normal. The links and interactions are just too numerous for it to work.

NearHull

Visit site
A colleague died today of covid. He was 44 with no health issues at all. He was contacted via track and trace xmas eve and was administered to hospital a week ago. He posted on Facebook yesterday that he's feeling better and would be out soon ?. Certainly made it hit home
That is frightening. It brings reality to some ‘sterile’ figures.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem with the bit in bold (as I understand it) is that they don't yet know if the vaccination prevents a person from getting the virus and passing it on to others. Possibly @Ethan will be able to confirm or correct this. If it is correct then there are too many interactions between the younger generation and the older generation to be able to isolate the vulnerable.

As an example, Mrs Colch's mum is disabled an has a carer in twice a day to help with getting her up, washed and dressed and then the reverse in the evening. A few days ago we found out that the regular carer had tested positive for Covid. Mrs Colch's mum and dad are now both unwell and waiting for the results of their Covid tests. The carer has her son and daughter in law living with her and they contracted the virus and passed it to her. How can you possibly isolate or protect the elderly and vulnerable in that situation? They need the carer to go in each day. To protect Mrs Colch's parents the carer would have to also isolate, as would her son and daughter in law and also their children if they have any. It's just not possible to protect the elderly and vulnerable and let those less at risk go about their lives as normal. The links and interactions are just too numerous for it to work.

Yes, or possibly no. We don't know yet, and it is quite hard to study, although most scientists believe that vacc must at least reduces transmission since it reduces or eliminates viral propagation and consequently the risk of spread by exhalation. You can still transfer it by touch and on inanimate objects, though. Govt is maintaining a line that vacc'd people must still observe the regulations, which is fair enough for now, since the social disorder of some people following and others not would be anarchy.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I just had to bold some of your post. I can't work out if you are blaming young people for the rise in hospitalisations, whilst complaining about people blaming others. Forgive me if I'm miles of the mark.

The average age of a covid patient has indeed gone down, from 60.2 to 58.8. It's hardly a dramatic drop, 1.4 years.

Edit: I'm not sure doing as we were told would have been enough. I'll get a holiday if I go more into it. But we were let down by those that decide, too late on almost everything. (Apart from vaccination, that seems to be going very well!)

Thats me! In almost every other medical situation, assessment is made on quality of life/impact on society. In this situation hospitals are packed full of mainly more experienced people with covid. Younger people are having appointments cancelled because hospitals can't cope. I know it's an emotive subject, but it's not unreasonable to think something has to change.

Well I for one am glad I live in the UK as I look at other countries with a similar population and population density i reckon we are doing OK.

No doubt those with the clarity of hindsight from watching the rear view mirrors can preach: there has been mistakes and more errors will be made -big deal we're human.

Thankfully the medics are true to their oath and the sanctity of ĺife.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I for one am glad I live in the UK as I look at other countries with a similar population and population density i reckon we are doing OK.

No doubt those with the clarity of hindsight from watching the rear view mirrors can preach: there has been mistakes and more errors will be made -big deal we're human.

Thankfully the medics are true to their oath and the sanctity of ĺife.

Which are the countries in comparison to whom we are doing OK?

Population density is over-rated as a factor. Even countries with an overall low pop density still have predominately urban populations. Sweden has a low pop density, but 85% still live in urban centres. The huge empty spaces don't matter. No risk where there are no people.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been mulling this one over, lockdown in January what else to do? I fully get your point, my mum is in the category of no computer, no smartphone, won't use contactless. With her it is a choice out of stubbornness, a badge of honour. If she had to use tech to do something she really wanted to do she could, she can just get away with it right now. A lot of people are in this group, the old golfers who absolutely couldn't book via brs or couldn't enter scores via a computer. When push comes to shove, ie you learn or you don't play, then miraculously they can manage.

The category that really matter here are not the stubborn, sorry mum, but those genuinely not capable. The question is do we hold back opening up various venues, events etc simply because that group can not manage the tech? For me, no. That group are relatively small in reality and should not hold everyone else, or those venues or events back. Instead of waiting for the perfect system that works for everyone we start with a system, app, that works for 95%. Once that is up and running we then look at the work around for the remaining 5%. We don't exclude that group but neither can we hold back for ever.

My figures, 95%-5%, are just guesstimates in my head incidentally.
This is mostly what I faced my dad just could not do this.
Obviously thing have to change but lots of people are going to be left behind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really see your point.

If someone needs someone with them to help them, then they'd be able to operate the phone.

If people simply don't trust the tech/vaccine then I revert to my prviosu standpoint.

Ostarcise them until the make a choice.
After the track and trace fiasco not sure about ostracising part of the public the tech is good but not foolproof.
We really don’t know the vaccine works yet. As the virus mutates we may need boosters every new strain.
I mainly agree anyone who refuses just for the sake of it yes .
But there will be people who can’t have it for lots of reasons medical, allergies etc.
what happens to them ? All ages not just old people.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
And older people are too. Why do you want to withhold care from older people?

It is an emotive subject, and there is a finite limit to the resources available but there’s a fine line to be walked about who gets care.

Its a discussion that needs to be had but where do you set an age limit on who should be cared for? The answer should be there shouldn’t be a limit, just a different strategy.

Alternatively, let’s have a discussion on Nazi Eugenics. Blunt but we’re not a million miles away from that.
I’d be more than happy to offer an immediate apology if you can point out where I stated that older (more at risk) people should have care withheld. That is not the system that I’m considering at all ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sat here in my tin foil hat worried that Bill Gates might be watching however thought I’d ask the question anyway.

Throughout the pandemic there was always mention of the virus mutating and that there were likely to be 10’s of 1,000’s different variants. Largely this story didn’t make front page news and the general takeaway was that it’s a standard thing in the world of virus and it is unusual for a virus to become suddenly deadly etc.

We’ve had no scary variants for 8 months, then scary ones from UK, South Africa and Brazil in the space of 4 weeks. This coincides with the vaccine roll out and the general fatigue amongst the population to follow the rules.

“We need people to take the vaccine, we need people to follow guidance so let’s really start pushing the new variant angle to ensure compliance.”

Should we expect further ‘scary’ variants on a semi regular basis to keep people focussed?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Should we expect further ‘scary’ variants on a semi regular basis to keep people focussed?

I'm inclined to agree, the Beeb the other day did 10 minutes on how patients are getting younger. avg age of hospitalisation has dropped from 60.4 to 58.8 since the start of the pandemic, so negligible. Followed with a few minutes of interview with a 19 year old in hospital saying "it can happen to anyone, it's horrible".

The 19 year old was obese, sitting on a chair writing as normal, as he didn't need to be in bed. Wearing an oxygen mask that barely fit.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree, the Beeb the other day did 10 minutes on how patients are getting younger. avg age of hospitalisation has dropped from 60.4 to 58.8 since the start of the pandemic, so negligible. Followed with a few minutes of interview with a 19 year old in hospital saying "it can happen to anyone, it's horrible".

The 19 year old was obese, sitting on a chair writing as normal, as he didn't need to be in bed. Wearing an oxygen mask that barely fit.

I personally believe that a lot of the variants have been in the country for a fair while and probably were known about but it didn’t suit the narrative of that particular time to make it public.

If we go back to March last year lots of young people were dying, you couldn’t look at a newspaper without a seeing a fit and healthy 6yr old, 15yr old, 24yr old etc eto succumbing to the virus despite having no known health conditions. This did the trick and the first lockdown was welcomed and adhered to. As we got into the summer and restrictions where relaxed suddenly less young people were dying (or at least in public) as they wanted people out and spending money so scaring them didn’t suit the plan. Now we need to scare people again plus the added vaccine take up we have the scary variants and younger people dying again.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sat here in my tin foil hat worried that Bill Gates might be watching however thought I’d ask the question anyway.

Throughout the pandemic there was always mention of the virus mutating and that there were likely to be 10’s of 1,000’s different variants. Largely this story didn’t make front page news and the general takeaway was that it’s a standard thing in the world of virus and it is unusual for a virus to become suddenly deadly etc.

We’ve had no scary variants for 8 months, then scary ones from UK, South Africa and Brazil in the space of 4 weeks. This coincides with the vaccine roll out and the general fatigue amongst the population to follow the rules.

“We need people to take the vaccine, we need people to follow guidance so let’s really start pushing the new variant angle to ensure compliance.”

I think you are right, it’s intended to stop people getting complacent... Dr on the radio last week when talking about all the variants and if the vaccine would work on them said “imagine I put on a purple wig, I would look a bit different but you would still recognise me”
Silly I know but it reassured me.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

You don’t have a tinfoil hat https://assets.publishing.service.g...ce-to-social-distancing-measures-22032020.pdf

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Reports in the scientific literature suggest there are approximately 17,000 variants around. Most of the differences are unimportant but every now and then one developed by random chance that has an evolutionary advantage, so it grows in number. There will undoubtedly be more.

The new variant was not magiced up by Govt to justify change in policy, but it was conveniently used even to justify belated action even though it had been known about for some time. The line that Govt heard about it on Thursday and acted on Friday is untrue. I heard it discussed 2 months previously on a medical site. It may not have been fully sequenced then, but that is not needed for action, and the call to have a circuit break, which went ignored, was based on concern about this variant.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Personally I don’t see the new scarier contagious strain of Covid as a way of making me comply Even more. Nothing has changed from day one. Covid kills end of story.
What does make me focus is listening to drs, nurses, those within the NHS that are on the front line and have no political or other agenda. other than save lives. Those that after this Covid has finished will have many sleepless nights seeing multiple deaths on a daily basis.
Re quoting obese 19 yr olds in hospital. Maybe A few “ young uns” need to look in the mirror because if obesity is a killer, in a country that is rammed with obesity, it’s more than just young uns.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
20210117_102705.jpg

At least that's a plan to work to, be nice if we could get out in march to the tiers

If then the tiers could phase out by the summer then would be even better

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 34530

At least that's a plan to work to, be nice if we could get out in march to the tiers

If then the tiers could phase out by the summer then would be even better

I think that was always what they planned when they said they would look at school after Feb Half term

Schools will open back up on 22nd Feb , 7 days later the Tier system will start with most in Tier 2 with the high numbers in a Tier 3 - the same as after November and things will be reduce from there with Tiers gone by May - that’s if the numbers go the way it’s starting to and the vaccine program keeps going

By June we will be back to sort of normal with the odd restriction in IMO