Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Who still haven't entered China to gather Conclusive proof. They haven't been allowed.

We do know they that the case numbers there are fabricated.

Could be the fact that the WHO experts are to arrive on the 14th January. Whilst the US has banned any investigations into the origins of Covid. :unsure:

As GreiginFife rightfully points out, we have yet to see CONCLUSIVE PROOF! But you and some other members have already made up you're minds. There's scientific reports that the virus was already present in places like Italy, Spain and the US weeks and months before the outbreak in Wuhan.
I don't know if its pure ignorance to these facts or just plain old sinophobia? Doesn't the phrase ''innocent until proven guilty'' mean anything?

I’m no fan of the Trump but I don’t see why we should worry about upsetting China? The way they mishandled the outbreak in the beginning was criminal.
Can we also be accused of doing the same thing also going by you're logic, considering our government knew about the mutated virus since September and didn't mention it to the world til Dec. And still allow flights out to other countries during that time.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Could be the fact that the WHO experts are to arrive on the 14th January. Whilst the US has banned any investigations into the origins of Covid. :unsure:

As GreiginFife rightfully points out, we have yet to see CONCLUSIVE PROOF! But you and some other members have already made up you're minds. There's scientific reports that the virus was already present in places like Italy, Spain and the US weeks and months before the outbreak in Wuhan.
I don't know if its pure ignorance to these facts or just plain old sinophobia? Doesn't the phrase ''innocent until proven guilty'' mean anything?

Can we also be accused of doing the same thing also going by you're logic, considering our government knew about the mutated virus since September and didn't mention it to the world til Dec. And still allow flights out to other countries during that time.

I could care less what the US are doing, I mentioned the UK and China in my post.

No one has been allowed in to investigate the strongly suspected origin for over a year.

- There is proof that China silenced researchers and journalists when covid was in the wild.
- There is proof that China chooses its case numbers seemingly at random.

If I was the Chinese foreign minister, I’d probably be working on international relations behind closed doors, rather than having a pop at another countries leader for saying the virus “may” have originated there.

You can call it sinophobia or whatever you like, I have nothing against the Chinese people. The Chinese government however are disgusting in my opinion. I’m glad I don’t have to ever go back.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
BBC reporting that a further 1,564 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive Covid test which is the biggest figure reported in a single day since the pandemic began. Obviously a startling figure and every death is a tragedy however why can't the BBC include the additional information that this number includes deaths going back to May 2020?

For me this is the difference between reporting the numbers in a sensible manner and another example of scaremongering. I am not suggesting that the numbers are suddenly going to drop by 1,000 if we take this data off but I feel it is important that it should be referenced.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This Confirmed on breakfast today.

I cannot believe that , say, a rural area with fewer over 80s is going to hang around waiting for some other area at other end of Country to finish it's over 80s.
My GP area has just started the vaccination ( wife's sister , late 80s, got an appointment). I know from the flu vaccination that the logistic set up, venue etc, is the same. I don't see that that is going to be put on hold to wait for another area to finish its over 80s.
If th y have the supplies they will crack on, surely?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot believe that , say, a rural area with fewer over 80s is going to hang around waiting for some other area at other end of Country to finish it's over 80s.
My GP area has just started the vaccination ( wife's sister , late 80s, got an appointment). I know from the flu vaccination that the logistic set up, venue etc, is the same. I don't see that that is going to be put on hold to wait for another area to finish its over 80s.
The supply is defined by the requirements which is one reason that community pharmacies arnt involved yet. NHS leaders have had their hands slapped for not providing data on usage by priority and told to get their house in order by the end of the week.
Very interesting listening to the select committee this afternoon, much more informative than normal chamber proceedings.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play football with a gentleman who is now the CEO of one of the health care trusts in London

He isn't proud of the A&E wait times but he hoping it's a sign of numbers dropping, down from 24 hours for a bed to 12 hours

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't think that is the intention. Some places have a lot more older people than others, or have more dispersed populations. They should be pushing the pace in every local area.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
BBC reporting that a further 1,564 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive Covid test which is the biggest figure reported in a single day since the pandemic began. Obviously a startling figure and every death is a tragedy however why can't the BBC include the additional information that this number includes deaths going back to May 2020?

For me this is the difference between reporting the numbers in a sensible manner and another example of scaremongering. I am not suggesting that the numbers are suddenly going to drop by 1,000 if we take this data off but I feel it is important that it should be referenced.

Because the perceived threat needs to remain high and personal threat needs to be maintained to stop people being complacent. So no positivity!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the numbers of positive cases continued to level out , they believe the restrictions are now starting to take affect. I think it’s better to look at the more positive side

Think the postive news about Asda getting the vaccine out was another bit to cling onto

More good news

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently 4 in 5 do not understand the rules.

Well..

Do I understand 100% what the rules permit me to do in all circumstances ... NO
Do I understand 100% what the rules require me to do ... YES
How do you know 4 out of 5 don't understand the rules , why is that apparent?

There are three important rules to control the virus: Hands, Face and Space, all other rules are derivatives from these. If you don't understand what you need to do to prevent catching or spreading the virus then you need a poke in the ribs with a pointy stick.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

There are three important rules to control the virus: Hands, Face and Space, all other rules are derivatives from these. If you don't understand what you need to do to prevent catching or spreading the virus then you need a poke in the ribs with a pointy stick.
Love to see the source for this :D

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Report today on the BBC website is that compliance with this lockdown is actually at about the same levels of May, some increase in bending the rules mainly in relation to meeting outdoors but the actual picture is mainly one of compliance.
Sounds good, I couldn't quickly locate the article but am conscious that golf restarted in England on the 13th of May (so I equate with coming out of "lockdown"). Perhaps comparing with May may a bit vague.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a rd trip today. Doctors, mums on way home to see if there ok after vaccination. Aldi for a basket of essentials. Whilst in Aldi, one of the workers is filling shopping bags for the new click and collect or delivery, whatever. Anyway I heard her say “ can you please pull your mask over your nose”.I looked up and she was talking to the guy stood a Couple of yards from me. “He said yes, er pull yours up as well”. I looked at her and she had it so it was covering her nostrils slightly, but I wouldn’t of moaned. He turned to me and said” that’s bollox innit, she’s moaning at me but look at her”. I just said “ look you know the rules if you don’t like it don’t shop here”. At that point his Missis came round the corner and said “ wassup” he told her and she said “ stop being a tit and do as your told”. At that point he went into a sulk.
Point is there are still folk out there that for whatever reason just don’t get it. On the day we have the highest deaths. Unbelievable Jeff.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Starting with the highest risk group in the economically active population is sensible, and has been suggested in the UK too. The truth is that the priority has been determined to stop care home residents clogging up hospitals. That is a valid concern, but may not really be where the greatest risk of population harm lies.

Or perhaps your last sentence could read ....where the greatest risk of,population infection lies.
You haven mentioned the factor that if the old get infected they likely die.
If the working age population get it , they generally don't.
We know that is true, in that AFAIK, there have been a number of us forummers, who have had it and recovered. And there are a number of us who know of old folk who are very sick or die, and know of a number of working age who have had it and recovered.
It is valid to vaccinate those first who may overwhelm the hospitals, as you say, but I think the latter part of that last sentence is not true.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

On the 4 out of 5 - I only have that from what I heard this morning on Nick Ferrari LBC (I'll see if I can find a link or other source)

I am not disagreeing with you. As far as the rules are concerned. Hands/Face/Space absolutely tells us of the simple behaviours we should adopt to minimise our risk of picking up and transmitting the virus.

But H/F/S is not a guideline/law of the sort defining what is allowed, that 4 out of 5 claim they don't understand.

I know what I am required to do. As you say - it isn't complex or difficult to understand.

1) Stay at home other than when a need to leave home is unavoidable as there is no viable alternative to going out
2) If I must go out for whatever unavoidable reason -I only do so for as short a time as possible - limited to short exercise or essential shop - and Hands/Face/Space

And that's it.

Do I 100% understand what I am allowed to do - no I do not. But I know where to look to find out if needs must.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the 4 out of 5 - I only have that from what I heard this morning on Nick Ferrari LBC (I'll see if I can find a link or other source)

I am not disagreeing with you. As far as the rules are concerned. Hands/Face/Space absolutely tells us of the simple behaviours we should adopt to minimise our risk of picking up and transmitting the virus.

But H/F/S is not a guideline/law of the sort defining what is allowed, that 4 out of 5 claim they don't understand.

I know what I am required to do. As you say - it isn't complex or difficult to understand.

1) Stay at home other than when a need to leave home is unavoidable as there is no viable alternative to going out
2) If I must go out for whatever unavoidable reason -I only do so for as short a time as possible - limited to short exercise or essential shop - and Hands/Face/Space

And that's it.

Do I 100% understand what I am allowed to do - no I am not. But I know where to look to find out if needs must.

Laid out very clearly on the Gov.UK web site which can be accessed via your inter web connection and the NHS COVID track & trace app.