Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
All sensible points mate, but I don’t know if the size of the room, distance from the “infected”, what they touched, if they went the toilet 30 seconds (whatever), matter or are taken into consideration when they track and trace.

It might be as black and white as you were there for the same time as them and that’s it.?‍♂️

In terms of all the variations of virus spread I'd expect there to be a blanket, "you were there," reason behind notifications.

For example, is there aircon or blowers in the building? If a sneeze, or even breath, leaves the body at 'x' feet per second, what happens if there's aircon or 'y' number of air exchanges per hour.

The basic calculation of how far a sneeze can travel is fairly straightforward. If S=ut+1/3at(squared), and a sneeze travels at.... think early in the thread I worked it out at 30 feet, without factoring in gravity. Add in your in a pub with zero air exchanges, no aircon, and you get an idea of how vague the guidelines might really be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As of this morning we are a Covid free hospital. Last patient discharged and no new admissions. Nonce in ICU for a month now. Lull before the storm no doubt but a lot of debriefing going on especially amongst the consultants on their treatment regimes and management on PPE ordering and storage, escalation areas and which areas we keep as Covid free and hot Covid zones. Hopefully at least when the next wave comes while it'll still be full on and hard every day we'll have some salient knowledge behind our decisions

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
As of this morning we are a Covid free hospital. Last patient discharged and no new admissions. Nonce in ICU for a month now. Lull before the storm no doubt but a lot of debriefing going on especially amongst the consultants on their treatment regimes and management on PPE ordering and storage, escalation areas and which areas we keep as Covid free and hot Covid zones. Hopefully at least when the next wave comes while it'll still be full on and hard every day we'll have some salient knowledge behind our decisions
How much longer is the nonce expected to be in there for ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In terms of all the variations of virus spread I'd expect there to be a blanket, "you were there," reason behind notifications.

For example, is there aircon or blowers in the building? If a sneeze, or even breath, leaves the body at 'x' feet per second, what happens if there's aircon or 'y' number of air exchanges per hour.

The basic calculation of how far a sneeze can travel is fairly straightforward. If S=ut+1/3at(squared), and a sneeze travels at.... think early in the thread I worked it out at 30 feet, without factoring in gravity. Add in your in a pub with zero air exchanges, no aircon, and you get an idea of how vague the guidelines might really be.
Did you mean (1/2)at^2? Of course my simple sum might not apply to fluid mechanics and airflow :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Did you mean (1/2)at^2? Of course my simple sum might not apply to fluid mechanics and airflow :)

Yes it should read 1/2... dyslexic fingers. The 3 vectors of force equations are some of the few I remember from O Level physics. What they don't take into account is air resistance.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why are you so sure there will be another wave? To my mind now we know far more of what we're dealing with, how it transmits, how best to treat it and how to prevent it spreading surely we are in a far better position to stop a second wave than we were this time last year when everyone wrote it off as a touch of flu?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why are you so sure there will be another wave? To my mind now we know far more of what we're dealing with, how it transmits, how best to treat it and how to prevent it spreading surely we are in a far better position to stop a second wave than we were this time last year when everyone wrote it off as a touch of flu?

I think there will be more waves of it
We’ve eradicated it in this country and have no positive tests within the community for 108 days… but I think we will get a 2nd wave. The occasional repatriation flight has shown us that as soon as the borders reopen we will have someone coming in on the first day who brings it back to this island and unfortunately I don’t believe that the knowledge &/or understanding of what to do is matched by a commitment from the public to do the right thing/behave the right way.
So while it’ll be smaller and easier to manage, sadly it’ll still be another ‘round’ of lockdown while its brought under control

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

HID in the NHS and all of them expecting/preparing for a second wave. We may be in a better position, but they see data differently to us. Unlikely last time, no one wants/expects a full lockdown. There are many factors in play here - weather, clarity of govt rules, the great british common sense, etc etc. This will continue till they have a vaccine or other drug on the shelf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We all hope there isn't a second wave but we're definitely preparing better and we have had more time to download the data from the first wave and work out what we did well and not so well and learn form that. We have more time to get PPE in which will help particularly at the outset of a second wave. I think it'll come because the R number still remains high for the country as a whole and we're seeing spikes in certain areas. I see it becoming a seasonal illness as we get it under control with vaccines but until then I think a number of factors will mean there will be a national second surge. Whether we can get away without a national lockdown and whether government has learned the lessons from the way it handled the initial outbreak remains to be seen

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whether we can get away without a national lockdown and whether government has learned the lessons from the way it handled the initial outbreak remains to be seen

Whatever happens with a second wave I just cannot see there being a national lockdown again, the economy wouldn't cope with it and I doubt many would comply. We have to maintain the distancing, the masks and whatever else it takes to keep it in check but a lockdown would cause irreplaceable damage to the country IMO.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever happens with a second wave I just cannot see there being a national lockdown again, the economy wouldn't cope with it and I doubt many would comply. We have to maintain the distancing, the masks and whatever else it takes to keep it in check but a lockdown would cause irreplaceable damage to the country IMO.

Totally agree. The original message was never to totally stop people getting it, that cannot be achieved. The aim was to ensure that the NHS was not overwhelmed and that was achieved. Any further steps need to be at a local level only. I really cannot see another national lockdown, the economy would not sustain it, I suspect another furlough scheme would be unaffordable and so people would be locked down with at best a nominal income in a large number of circumstances. Cannot see that happening.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it should read 1/2... dyslexic fingers. The 3 vectors of force equations are some of the few I remember from O Level physics. What they don't take into account is air resistance.
Indeed why I hesitated to suggest that you'd got it wrong...you might have been including such as a simple approximation to the impact of the Coriolis force.

Too many clever folks on this forum...;)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Mum mum has had to go into a Care Home. We were not allowed to inspect, visit or choose. We've not been allowed to visit.

On the plus side, the Home are demonstrating serious rigour in keeping their residents safe.

You have to take some comfort in that they are trying to do the right thing to keep your Mum and other residents safe.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mum mum has had to go into a Care Home. We were not allowed to inspect, visit or choose. We've not been allowed to visit.

On the plus side, the Home are demonstrating serious rigour in keeping their residents safe.
That's a tough one. I guess they have a good reputation.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
HID in the NHS and all of them expecting/preparing for a second wave. We may be in a better position, but they see data differently to us. Unlikely last time, no one wants/expects a full lockdown. There are many factors in play here - weather, clarity of govt rules, the great british common sense, etc etc. This will continue till they have a vaccine or other drug on the shelf
The only otherway is a really tough crackdown on those groups creating a wave. We have been very easy going on offenders in the UK but that may need changing dramatically.