Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bugger

Got a confirmed case back on the unit. Hope it's an outlier and not the start. A little concerned seeing as the first recorded UK death was in the hospital, and that seemed to open the flood gate.

Never good mate.. hopefully outlier. The local gossip in the playing fields is that there has been a surge in local cases in the area. Dont know how true or its source, you are not very far from me. hopefully it will all go away

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never good mate.. hopefully outlier. The local gossip in the playing fields is that there has been a surge in local cases in the area. Dont know how true or its source, you are not very far from me. hopefully it will all go away
We wait and see. At least we've contingency plans in place this time and have done planned based on what we did well and badly. We'll see what happens but I have a feeling I'll be moving offices again as I'm based near the side rooms we use for quarantine

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a text from NHS Track and Trace.
Seems I was somewhere in the vicinity of someone last week who now has Covid so now having to self-isolate til next week...
Went for a test earlier, which was delightful ?, feel great so hopefully no issues.

Just watch yourself, make sure you have plenty of paracetamol, I was like you then within hours it hit me like a ton of bricks, pretty rough experience.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a text from NHS Track and Trace.
Seems I was somewhere in the vicinity of someone last week who now has Covid so now having to self-isolate til next week...
Went for a test earlier, which was delightful ?, feel great so hopefully no issues.

Do you know how long the contact was for and how close, indoors or outdoors?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bugger

Got a confirmed case back on the unit. Hope it's an outlier and not the start. A little concerned seeing as the first recorded UK death was in the hospital, and that seemed to open the flood gate.

Isolated cases will crop inevitably up all over the place, can't be avoided and nothing to worry about unless it turns into a local outbreak. In that case, with Dido in charge of the new Public Health organisation, we are all screwed.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been selected as part of the random testing exercise so said yes and kit arrived, being collected tomorrow.

I'm already freaking out a little at the description to wipe over both tonsils 5 times then back of throat. Cleaning my back teeth can have me gagging.

Someone reassure me...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No they don't give you that info.
I don't know what their criteria is but I think it's just if you pass by someone in the same general area.

But for an exposure to be adequate to merit isolation, there needs to be prolonged (15 mins) contact and/or close contact (1m or less), and if you were both wearing masks, in a supermarket, say, the risk is negligible.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We be just cancelled our accommodation in Valencia in October. Group of six couples and too many in the group either can’t travel or don’t want to travel. So that is it. Let’s see how things are for our flights closer to the time...if they aren’t not cancelled and they won’t offer us a rebooking sometime in the future then we lose our £360. So be it. Money already spent.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Isolated cases will crop inevitably up all over the place, can't be avoided and nothing to worry about unless it turns into a local outbreak. In that case, with Dido in charge of the new Public Health organisation, we are all screwed.

Of course there will be outliers and isolated cases (although the nurse in charge was waiting on a patient to come up to the unit as I left Friday flagged as suspected Covid, so we could have a couple in by the time I go back at 6.30 tomorrow morning) and this news isn't so good https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/r...ouble-figure-spike-coronavirus-cases-18813901

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course there will be outliers and isolated cases (although the nurse in charge was waiting on a patient to come up to the unit as I left Friday flagged as suspected Covid, so we could have a couple in by the time I go back at 6.30 tomorrow morning) and this news isn't so good https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/r...ouble-figure-spike-coronavirus-cases-18813901
Isolated doesn’t necessary mean only 1. Sporadic cases perhaps a better term. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to get worse again, but probably not for a month or two.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I did the test and it was ok. Weird ticking at first in back of throat and then gag reflex hit! Nose irritated for a few minutes but again not bad so hope I did it correctly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Isolated doesn’t necessary mean only 1. Sporadic cases perhaps a better term. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to get worse again, but probably not for a month or two.

Another prediction based on zero evidence meant to scare people.
How many times have we been told there's a new wave /spike/increase in covid cases on the way :confused:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How many times have we been told there's a new wave /spike/increase in covid cases on the way :confused:
VE day celebrations
BLM Protests
Liverpool Title Win
Bournemouth beaches, repeatedly

All of the above fit the criteria of spikes on the way but never came.

I'm not saying they wont but perhaps people need to roll back from the level of doom a little.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is not based on zero evidence. Here is the evidence: ECDC website

Scroll down to the graph of cases. Happy to hear your analysis of why there is not a clear rise.

i don't know how many times you have been told there is a spike coming, but the reports I have seen have all said that the spike is doming in October. Not sure how you can be confident that is wrong yet.