Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Someone mentioned it before, can't remember who, sorry.

The virus cannot travel on its own, it needs carriers
The more time people spend mixing with others, the more it will spread, the more people will die and the longer we will be affected/quarantined.

Sadly I can, he was travelling & mixing with others at the time he issued the advice to the rest of us!!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I got challenged, by a member of the constabulary, whilst out earlier for my daily allowance... After a brief explanation he advised "stay safe and keep your distance from others" ... Fine, I thought (but was too spineless to question) you've got someone sat right next to you who's probably no relation...

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Every other day we've had a guy come round in his little truck- think of the greenkeeper spraying the fairway, spraying the street. About an hour later he's round again with a backpack doing the pavements. Just received notification that we are to keep all windows and doors closed between 9am and 11am when the village will be disinfected from the air.
Now I know why Spain were buying all the old stockpiles of Agent Orange :p;)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Well, I got challenged, by a member of the constabulary, whilst out earlier for my daily allowance... After a brief explanation he advised "stay safe and keep your distance from others" ... Fine, I thought (but was too spineless to question) you've got someone sat right next to you who's probably no relation...

Yes, well, it is good advice - essential advice- but there are front line workers to whom that luxury cannot be given. Doctors, nurses, police, firemen ,paramedics etc.
We can think ourselves lucky, as most of us on here do, I'm sure.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
According to one expert, the herd immunity may already be here;

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Food for thought?
As mentioned in the math threat, why is the death race so high suddenly if herd immunity is the 'target' and has already been reached?
On the other side, I also don't understand why such a aggressive virus only jumps to 2.5 people if unchecked, so there could be some immunity there.
And i wish it is through and I am already immune. Just can't believe it.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, well, it is good advice - essential advice- but there are front line workers to whom that luxury cannot be given. Doctors, nurses, police, firemen ,paramedics etc.

Absolutely... The officers were not, in any way, confrontational... They were parked up, out of the way, probably taking five... That I was wearing a Che Guevara scarf pulled up bandit style had, they said, mildly amused them and prompted them to ask what I was at... Tough times I told them and wished them well for the coming weeks...

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sat in a squad car, one front one back, simple. Agree there are times they will doing things when they are going to be close together but when they can, surly they are better off keeping some distance.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Wife went out for a bit of exercise a couple of hours ago....she paased a local chemist which had people queuing as per taped markings on the pavement outside. The Police were in attendance manhandling (none to gently according to the wife) a bloke into a Police car. Apparently he was protesting to the Police that he was an essential NHS worker and deserved to be able to jump the queue ahead of (I quote my wifes very words)…"all the lazy arseholes who'd spent their day sat indoors".

I'm going to have to start taking some exercise during the day...my wife is getting to see some strange things when she goes out.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Tomorrow morning will be the "first actual game of golf I've missed" due to the lock down. :cry: I will be painting the spare room under orders from my lovely wife who (correctly) wants to set up a 2nd room in the house as an office, so we both can work from home.

In the scheme of things....it doesnt really matter

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Sat in a squad car, one front one back, simple. Agree there are times they will doing things when they are going to be close together but when they can, surly they are better off keeping some distance.

Unfortunately, dependant on the vehicle involved and the systems that need to be operated, that may not be an option. And one front and one back will still not meet the separation guidelines.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
As mentioned in the math threat, why is the death race so high suddenly if herd immunity is the 'target' and has already been reached?
On the other side, I also don't understand why such a aggressive virus only jumps to 2.5 people if unchecked, so there could be some immunity there.
And i wish it is through and I am already immune. Just can't believe it.

I don't know so maybe this has it wrong. But then again, it cites the fact that the ICL modelling currently being used has apparently been wildly inaccurate in a few previous similar circumstances so maybe this one will prove to be right. If we have reached herd immunity level, is the death rate actually that high; are they using all the cases, the actual number of which we don't know, or the confirmed cases which will will be significantly lower thus raising the death rate?

The joy of experts, eh.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My uni professor modelled the German numbers on linked in saying they top out at 800k infections in June.

I know he is hot on modelling but I still don’t think he modelled it right as a closed system because at some point borders will open again and then you might get a new influx.

D

Deleted member 16999

Picture a few minutes from Flightradar, now this is quiet compared to a “normal” friday, but I’m still shocked at the amount of passenger planes still going around the world.
We are worrying about people walking near each other whilst still allowing people to travel to and from other Countries!
I understand some flights will be freight, but the majority are passenger flights and they are coming and going from around the world.
B20D98B3-EEE2-4FEB-AB21-7CF3C5F113CD.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gove doing the briefing. Waste of time as he seemed incapable of answering the questions asked and there doesn't seem to be any opportunity for follow-up. Bring back Rishi!

How's about - Hi Michael - what happened to the Health Secretary telling us on QT that we were part of the EU initiative to procure ventilators. But we aren't. Somehow. When we are desperate for them. Now.