Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
...Yep, and that is following on from stringent lockdowns. Spraying the streets with next to zero public movement.
I can’t help thinking were dragging this out unnecessarily. Herd immunity?. at what cost.

I don't think we are "dragging it out" as you put it because of herd immunity.
I believe it's because we appealed first to people's sense ( forlornly).
I believe China looked at the situation, said - this is what we need- and told the population "you will do it."
And if you don't , look out.
However, they are a disciplined nation overall and it seemed to work.
Let's hope our people really start trying to work together.
Fingers crossed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What will it take to relax the relaxed lockdown? 3 weeks minimum of zero new cases in the UK?
It’s anyone’s guess when that will be due to the amount of non essential works still being undertaken and general selfish stupidity out there.
That’s not going to happen for a while.
We’re still letting planes in from Spain with holidaymakers coming home.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Serious question
Does anyone know how this virus has been spreading or read how?
I take my so out running every other day whilst I cycle along behind him.
We definitely keep the 2m rule easily.
Serious question again,are we at risk?
I had to go and get some bread yesterday at the local co-op when I went to the till I was a metre away from the cashier a girl around 20
Surely I’m more at risk shopping?
We have been so careful as a family since it started and have plenty of essentials generally.
Going out for food is surely a big risk?

Short answer - no.
Longer answer, depends what you regard as a big risk.

Look at the numbers - currently there are approx 12000 confirmed cases. That's generally regarded as an underestimate of how many actually have it. Let's say it's underestimated by a factor of 200 . (No one knows the actual factor, but 200 is quite a big one). That would put it at about 2.4 million people. Or about 4% of the population.. So, 96 out of a hundred people you meet are fine. Ok, this is all too simplistic but the proportion of infected people is low. The seriousness of the situation is making sure that the proportion stays low. If it rises rapidly - which it can/will do - is when the brown stuff really hits the fan.

But in short, for now, most people are not plague carriers. We're all confined to barracks to try to make sure it stays that way.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
found out this morning that the fire brigades Union have agreed for us to be used for driving ambulances and moving mass body's to morgues ?. not looking forward to that!!!!

Sadly, the brigade seems to be nearly always at the front when it comes to dishing out the shitty jobs... Dealing with 'incidents' on the tube is the ones my mates (in the service) dislike most...

U

User62651

Went to Lidl for a wee top up shop last night at 7pm. Pleased to note only 2 or 3 other shoppers in whole store so have noted that time as possibly a good time to go. They have closed the self checkouts since i was last in because you cant keep 2m apart, therefore you have to use the manned checkout, that means everything is touched by the checkout person which was a negative and technically you are standing a bit close for my liking to them. So I got into the store via electronic doors which is good, didn't use a basket or trolley just put stuff straight into my carrier bag which is good, was aware that items may have been touched by others as well as checkout person so apart from bananas just got packaged goods which were wiped down when i got in. No wine left at all otherwise stock not too bad.
Jacket off first and wash hands thoroughly.
We are still fairly low in confirmed cases in my massive healthboard geographic area (Mull of Kintyre to John O Groats) but paranoia definitely sets in. Shouldn't but it does.

Quite enjoyed reading the twitter spats re Prince of Wales with weak symptoms and Camilla with no symptoms getting NHS tested for cv19 when NHS staff on frontline can't get tested and travelling from London with a large entourage to Ballater - is that acceptable because he's a VIP or is it reckless selfish behaviour?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to Lidl for a wee top up shop last night at 7pm. Pleased to note only 2 or 3 other shoppers in whole store so have noted that time as possibly a good time to go. They have closed the self checkouts since i was last in because you cant keep 2m apart, therefore you have to use the manned checkout, that means everything is touched by the checkout person which was a negative and technically you are standing a bit close for my liking to them. So I got into the store via electronic doors which is good, didn't use a basket or trolley just put stuff straight into my carrier bag which is good, was aware that items may have been touched by others as well as checkout person so apart from bananas just got packaged goods which were wiped down when i got in. No wine left at all otherwise stock not too bad.
Jacket off first and wash hands thoroughly.
We are still fairly low in confirmed cases in my massive healthboard geographic area (Mull of Kintyre to John O Groats) but paranoia definitely sets in. Shouldn't but it does.

Quite enjoyed reading the twitter spats re Prince of Wales with weak symptoms and Camilla with no symptoms getting NHS tested for cv19 when NHS staff on frontline can't get tested and travelling from London with a large entourage to Ballater - is that acceptable because he's a VIP or is it reckless selfish behaviour?
The Latter.
Everybody was asked to stay in their main residence not their holiday home!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe China looked at the situation, said - this is what we need- and told the population "you will do it."
Fingers crossed.
My youngest brother works in China, who when we spoke back at the start of the year would say the information being given out there was it was nothing, and to not worry about it. In short, it was mass hysteria and propaganda by the Western press. He doesnt say that now (he has been back quite a while now as a result).
The best example of how to deal with it I would say has been South Korea, everyone else has been lax.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The main road here runs along the edge of the village, and has a roundabout halfway with a road off into the village itself. 100m either side of the roundabout, on both sides of the road, there's a police checkpoint, and one on the road into the village.

Every private vehicle is being stopped. Documents and where you are going/where have you been. "Voy al supermercado en Turre." Turre is a small town about 7 miles away. And from the Policia, "no, voy al supermercado en Los Gallardos." Basically, go and shop in the village. The village shop is about the size of your lounge, and doesn't carry a significant number of items, e.g. fresh milk.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lady Doon managed to get two Tesco delivery slots in the last two days...……..time of bookings 4am.:love:
The first one was a blessing as it allowed us to cancel a click and collect booked a couple of days later. [Which a young volunteer from the village was getting for us.]
Bookings are 14 days apart so feeling more relaxed about food, just hope they are stocking my wife's dietary stuff.
Bookings are limited to 80 items and max 3 items of any product [so don't be an idiot and ask for 6 single bananas] No new accounts being accepted.
Looks like they are getting their act together now.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone mentioned it before, can't remember who, sorry.

The virus cannot travel on its own, it needs carriers
The more time people spend mixing with others, the more it will spread, the more people will die and the longer we will be affected/quarantined.

It is a really simple message........such a pity that some of our more simple citizens cannot understand it.:mad:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Was sent this link this morning, some interesting reading. I'm no expert in this, and can only go with what we are being told to do, but, as we have seen, there is a lot of misinformation on Social Media. Don't know how qualified these chaps are (there are 12 of them), and I have no idea whether they are correct either, but they all have interesting thoughts and points on the situation

https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24...vkarphbsTYigoBqx1-PB5R57Up20hiT6RkrVEuJF9bmV4

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fingers crossed.

Yes, Let’s hope.
There was a video circulating a few weeks ago from a World Heath Organisation press conference, Dr Michael Ryan - Worldwide authority on Pandemic, Tropical diseases etc, Stating that speed of action was the most important thing in a pandemic crisis.
If the hardcore lockdown worked in China, surely it will work here. Or are we simply not going down this route because the government know it’ll be too difficult to enforce in the UK.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Public transport is for essential travel ONLY... Top marks to Sadiq for sticking to message... And, shame on you Hancock for seeking to suggest otherwise...

Can't see anything that has changed?

Khan's an arrogant oxygen thief.

There is quarter of a million NHS staff in London. I can't think how many more essential workers (actual essential ones, not people with terrible bosses) are expected to get to work whilst keeping 2 metres separation when there is a skeleton tube service?

Lets not to mention this month he stated "There is NO risk in using the tube or buses" - that's a direct quote.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So what is going on with the EU having offered us to participate in an EU-wide mass procurement of ventilators. Hancock last Thursday on QT said we were part of it; a government source tells us earlier this week that we weren't participating as we were out of the EU; then we hear that an Email came in and our government missed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Finding out what has gone on is not for now, but hearing this sort of stuff does not help me keep the strong trust and belief in the government that I am hanging on to - that I must hang on to - that they are doing all that they can irrespective of politics or ideology. And then sticking the likes of Nadhim Zahawi and Alok Sharma up for interview when both then avoid answering direct and important questions really doesn't help either.

I think Hancock is doing well (though would have more belief in Hunt were he still in post); I am most impressed by Rishi Sunak - and Johnson is doing the right thing and saying the right words in the briefings - putting across the critical most important messages without personal opinion - leaving the detail about what is going on and what might happen to the experts (when I compare and contrast Johnson with his Oppo across the Pond Johnson comes wins hand-down).

So please - all I really want is honesty and straight answers to what I know are extremely difficult questions

[UPDATE] Johnson tests positive for coronavirus