Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So what is going on with the EU having offered us to participate in an EU-wide mass procurement of ventilators. Hancock last Thursday on QT said we were part of it; a government source tells us earlier this week that we weren't participating as we were out of the EU; then we hear that an Email came in and our government missed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Finding out what has gone on is not for now, but hearing this sort of stuff does not help me keep the strong trust and belief in the government that I am hanging on to - that I must hang on to - that they are doing all that they can irrespective of politics or ideology. And then sticking the likes of Nadhim Zahawi and Alok Sharma up for interview when both then avoid answering direct and important questions really doesn't help either.

I think Hancock is doing well (though would have more belief in Hunt were he still in post); I am most impressed by Rishi Sunak - and Johnson is doing the right thing and saying the right words in the briefings - putting across the critical most important messages without personal opinion - leaving the detail about what is going on and what might happen to the experts (when I compare and contrast Johnson with his Oppo across the Pond Johnson comes wins hand-down).

So please - all I really want is honesty and straight answers to what I know are extremely difficult questions

[UPDATE] Johnson tests positive for coronavirus

I'd just add that there are reports that the EU didn't send the email because the UK had officially left - but that might be spin as with many things at present.

I think the desire for answers mostly comes from the 24hr news appetite as many of the questions are not really key and are just 'presenters' looking to find an angle and a question no-one else bothered to ask. There is a grave danger of 'spooking the horses' thought sensational language.

IMO the post would have been better had you not bothered with the 2nd para (Finding...."

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Forget the runners, it's the bloody mamils that are driving me nuts. I mean what do you look like, pretending you are in a stage of the Tour de France? You are a middle aged accountant riding down a lane, not Chris Froome going up Alp D'Huez, just put a pair of shorts on and a t shirt and grow up for gods sake. ;)

Do you say the same to all the golfers each week trying to be like Tiger Woods ;)

And leave us middle aged accountants out of it!!!!!!!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see anything that has changed?

Khan's an arrogant oxygen thief.

There is quarter of a million NHS staff in London. I can't think how many more essential workers (actual essential ones, not people with terrible bosses) are expected to get to work whilst keeping 2 metres separation when there is a skeleton tube service?

Lets not to mention this month he stated "There is NO risk in using the tube or buses" - that's a direct quote.

News bulletins, this morning, advising footfall, on the tube, dropped by 90%...

And, you think it's OK for masturbator Hancock to say it's OK, and safe, for non-essential workers to travel and room to be made for them... Really?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The main road here runs along the edge of the village, and has a roundabout halfway with a road off into the village itself. 100m either side of the roundabout, on both sides of the road, there's a police checkpoint, and one on the road into the village.

Every private vehicle is being stopped. Documents and where you are going/where have you been. "Voy al supermercado en Turre." Turre is a small town about 7 miles away. And from the Policia, "no, voy al supermercado en Los Gallardos." Basically, go and shop in the village. The village shop is about the size of your lounge, and doesn't carry a significant number of items, e.g. fresh milk.
That's a bit harsh! I was making an assumption that Garucha would be pushing your luck, but for them oto say that Turre is too far is a surprise

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That's a bit harsh! I was making an assumption that Garucha would be pushing your luck, but for them oto say that Turre is too far is a surprise

A Brit on the local council is going to the town hall for clarification. As you know, there's not much of anything in the village.

As an aside, the town hall has put a request out for anyone with the full face swimming masks with the integral snorkel that comes out of the top of the mask to get in touch. They'll send the policia around to collect them. Seen a pic on FB of one with a hydroscopic filter attached to the end of the snorkel.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A Brit on the local council is going to the town hall for clarification. As you know, there's not much of anything in the village.

As an aside, the town hall has put a request out for anyone with the full face swimming masks with the integral snorkel that comes out of the top of the mask to get in touch. They'll send the policia around to collect them. Seen a pic on FB of one with a hydroscopic filter attached to the end of the snorkel.

Ah well, getting stopped by a policeman wearing a snorkel should at least brighten ones day ? Stay safe.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

And, you think it's OK for masturbator Hancock to say it's OK, and safe, for non-essential workers to travel and room to be made for them... Really?

It's pretty simple, you can't keep essential workers separated when you gauge the tube service like Khan did. The footfall hasn't reduced because of that, it's just made separation impossible. I left London on the 20th. I walked from Canary Wharf to Liverpool street and saw maybe 50 people. That's despite Khan saying there was NO RISK travelling on public transport. No one listens to Khan, he's a Mayor that thinks he's deputy PM.

Where did he say that? Because I don't think that's OK, I'm 99% certain he didn't.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was sent this link this morning, some interesting reading. I'm no expert in this, and can only go with what we are being told to do, but, as we have seen, there is a lot of misinformation on Social Media. Don't know how qualified these chaps are (there are 12 of them), and I have no idea whether they are correct either, but they all have interesting thoughts and points on the situation

https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24...vkarphbsTYigoBqx1-PB5R57Up20hiT6RkrVEuJF9bmV4
Interesting read..
Earlier, someone was complaining that we pick and choose when to believe experts.
What strikes me from this is that there are experts on both sides who have opinions based on the science but are giving opposite views..
Just like the Brexit scenario of which experts to believe...
You picks your expert and you takes your choice.....

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your putting your spin on who is and isn't in the essential worker group and those who are being made to go to work. He, and others just mentioned concern on the take of tube trains as the figures on tube workers self isolating didn't seem to warrant it.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's pretty simple, you can't keep essential workers separated when you gauge the tube service like Khan did. The footfall hasn't reduced because of that, it's just made separation impossible. I left London on the 20th. I walked from Canary Wharf to Liverpool street and saw maybe 50 people. That's despite Khan saying there was NO RISK travelling on public transport. No one listens to Khan, he's a Mayor that thinks he's deputy PM.

Where did he say that? Because I don't think that's OK, I'm 99% certain he didn't.

He, Hancock, said it when he went into bat, for the party donors, to make excuse for the non-essential construction workers to be still on the tube...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was sent this link this morning, some interesting reading. I'm no expert in this, and can only go with what we are being told to do, but, as we have seen, there is a lot of misinformation on Social Media. Don't know how qualified these chaps are (there are 12 of them), and I have no idea whether they are correct either, but they all have interesting thoughts and points on the situation

https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24...vkarphbsTYigoBqx1-PB5R57Up20hiT6RkrVEuJF9bmV4
There's a lot of sense here, but still a little bit too unknown at present to take a definitive view I think. I'm more in this camp than the shutting it all down one, but still obeying orders until we know more.