Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-admissions-to-surge-scientists-warn-12267195

A summer surge as bad as last January? Are these people for real? So last summer, with no vaccine and only a limited knowledge of the virus it virtually died out of its own accord ,yet this year we could be back to square one ,even with a population virtually completely vaccinated. Do they actually want us locked in our homes for ever and the country financially ruined?
It seems to me SAGE have been way off with every prediction they have made so far, I've lost any confidence in what they say. Or is it the media twisting their words to suit their own doom mongering agenda?

RichA

Visit site
The latter. Journalist asks 20 questions and probably picks the answer to the worst case scenario final leading question as the headline.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am getting to the point of being sick of all the restrictions being threatened for months even years to come. It seems to me as if every politician is scared witless of the obvious public inquiry that will come and try to blame everyone and anyone for everything that has happened. So they want to keep us all pretty much locked up (or down) for as long as they can and the hell with the cost. All the advisors are on their full salaries and it hasn't bothered them at all.

D-S

Visit site
http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-admissions-to-surge-scientists-warn-12267195

A summer surge as bad as last January? Are these people for real? So last summer, with no vaccine and only a limited knowledge of the virus it virtually died out of its own accord ,yet this year we could be back to square one ,even with a population virtually completely vaccinated. Do they actually want us locked in our homes for ever and the country financially ruined?
It seems to me SAGE have been way off with every prediction they have made so far, I've lost any confidence in what they say. Or is it the media twisting their words to suit their own doom mongering agenda?

As usual the word ‘could’ gets a lot of airing in such articles - the ‘preliminary’ nature and ‘pessimistic assumptions’ of the report aren’t as headline grabbing.
The earth ‘could’ be hit by a massive meteorite is my ‘preliminary’ guess and that is a ‘pessimistic assumption’.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Given what we hear and what we don’t - I wouldn’t count on it...certainly not ALL restrictions if you count wearing a mask and social distancing as ‘restrictions’.

PS was concerned about the restrictions and being in lock down for months or years to come.

So they want to keep us all pretty much locked up (or down) for as long as they can and the hell with the cost.

The roadmap suggests otherwise

Step 4 - not before 21 June
Social contact
By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ring-2021-summary#step-4---not-before-21-june

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

If I remember correctly, last summer there were some restrictions in terms of indoor gatherings, I.e cinemas, theatres ( though pubs were open), and we have learned that the virus spreads easiest indoors. A lot , lot more than outdoors.
Like you, I think that there shouldn't be a massive increase in infections come summer, but there will be some!
What really irks is that it could be a lot less, we could knock this down to virtually flu levels, if the anti vaxxers came to their senses.
However, whilst a significant number refuse to be vaccinated, the spread potential is there.
That is why, I believe, there is a push for vaccine passports. In the hope that if those "missing out", want in, then they will be persuaded to have the vaccine.
But, in the meantime, it does create a two tier situation until all have been offered vaccinations.
Then again, there is the argument that, should some (most, all?) businesses have to wait for that situation before being kick started back to viability?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Given what we hear and what we don’t - I wouldn’t count on it...certainly not ALL restrictions if you count wearing a mask and social distancing as ‘restrictions’.

How can SD and wearing a mask work in cinemas and theatres, I.e large indoor gatherings in relative confined spaces?
Those measures won't work there, and so, at some time, we will have to go back to "normal" ( and keep our fingers crossed?)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I accept things are fluid and the way the press use phrases like "but you said back in January...." etc etc.
But Boris last night was pretty much laying out a potential plan to keep mask wearing in place indefinitely.
Fine, if some people want to do that - let them. The sort of people who spend 10 minutes cleaning their trolleys before going into Tescos.
But I for one am sick of it. I can use common sense.

RichA

Visit site
100,000 Covid deaths in 12 months. Mask wearing and social distancing doesn't seem like that big of a deal if it allows us to return to some sense of normality this year. It's not nice but it's only a shift in culture.
For the 2500-3000 road deaths per year, we are mandated to wear seat belts in cars and crash helmets on motorbikes.
I know it's apples and oranges, but back in the 70s and 80s, half the population considered that to be a huge imposition on their personal freedoms.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What really irks is that it could be a lot less, we could knock this down to virtually flu levels, if the anti vaxxers came to their senses.
However, whilst a significant number refuse to be vaccinated, the spread potential is there.
That is why, I believe, there is a push for vaccine passports. In the hope that if those "missing out", want in, then they will be persuaded to have the vaccine.

Totally agree - you don't want the vaccine? Fine - stay at home - no going to pubs, cinemas, foreign trips etc. Your choice - you can have days out listening to morons like Corbyn's brother in London.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS was concerned about the restrictions and being in lock down for months or years to come.

The roadmap suggests otherwise

Step 4 - not before 21 June
Social contact
By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ring-2021-summary#step-4---not-before-21-june

Yes however the key is not before June
It could be delayed until say sept with some bits lifted in June but not the full limit

That's why it's not before and not by this date

D

Deleted member 15344

I accept things are fluid and the way the press use phrases like "but you said back in January...." etc etc.
But Boris last night was pretty much laying out a potential plan to keep mask wearing in place indefinitely.
Fine, if some people want to do that - let them. The sort of people who spend 10 minutes cleaning their trolleys before going into Tescos.
But I for one am sick of it. I can use common sense.

Are you sick of the 100,000 plus people who have lost their life because of the virus ? What about the affects on their families ?

Is wearing a mask and cleaning a trolley that much of a hardship to try and at the very least keep those infections down

It’s people that were “sick of it” who ignored social distancing and wearing of masks the first time.

It must be very hard for you to think of others beyond just yourself but that person who cleans that trolley for ten mins is doing it for their safety and the safety of others - they clearly think about it will affect them

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A disappointing Easter in terms of discipline and enforcement here in southern Spain. After a hard year of enforcement, any sign of it has disappeared over Easter. The current rule for how many at a table indoors in a restaurant is 4, 6 outside. 15 at one table and 12 at another. Live music has been authorised but not the dancing - chaos. Easter services went ahead with social distancing in the churches but once outside the door it was like any other Easter.

Locally, the numbers are exceptionally good, although each village seems to get a blip for a few weeks then back down but after the madness of Easter, supplemented with an influx of people that have obviously crossed regional borders, I expect the next 8 weeks will be tough.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It could be delayed until say sept with some bits lifted in June but not the full limit

It might be delayed, there again, it might not be.

I know, things may change but...

Johnson’s roadmap does not give a date on when face masks may be downgraded from mandatory, but it is clear he is hoping that 99 per cent – if not all – restrictions can be lifted by 21 June.

I'm the optimist

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you sick of the 100,000 plus people who have lost their life because of the virus ? What about the affects on their families ?

Is wearing a mask and cleaning a trolley that much of a hardship to try and at the very least keep those infections down

It’s people that were “sick of it” who ignored social distancing and wearing of masks the first time.

It must be very hard for you to think of others beyond just yourself but that person who cleans that trolley for ten mins is doing it for their safety and the safety of others - they clearly think about it will affect them

Then don't go out anywhere - stay at home and be safe. We cannot carry on exactly the way we are for too much longer for all the many reasons that have been documented.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree with this statement. I'm 50% jabbed almost fully jabbed (next month) yet I have no problem wearing a mask In a shop and cleaning my trolly

Basically not being a dirty so and so.