Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This could have gone in the irritation thread but it works here a bit better.
I am incredibly irritated that I'm starting to get stressed about what BigB is going to say tomorrow.
I held it together through the first 2 lockdowns - did quite well really but this one has been more of a struggle
For one reason and another I managed 7 working days between lockdowns 2 and 3, mainly the Mrs operation and Xmas so I've been off work, effectively since October.
The dodgy knee, that has mostly cleared up, has prevented me from doing much and to say these weeks have been like Groundhog day is a massive understatement
Half the time I've no idea what day of the week it is because I don't need to know..I need to hear something..for me.
If we get nothing from BigB I may succumb to having to go and buy a large amount of beer.
I will also motion the next AGM to remove him as an Honorary Member....
An under the sea roundabout off the Isle of Man seems to be this weeks big idea.
Beam me up Scotty.:ROFLMAO:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
What is the process? I would want an obvious guarantee that my laptop would be wiped completely (absolutely....no doubt about it....preferably right in front of me) of information. I wouldn't want to just hand it over to the school and hoped they did things right.
@PhilTheFragger is probably the one to ask

The only completely foolproof way is to replace the hard drive with a brand new one and to keep or destroy (cut in half) the hard drive with your data on it.

There are many programs available that will “wipe” your hard drive , they basically scramble the data , replacing the binary with random 0 &1 ‘s , they will do multiple passes and will be good enough for most

However a professional or crook may be able to reverse the process and of course the police have access to very sophisticated software that finds stuff

So it boils down to what is on your computer, and how incriminating it is
?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only completely foolproof way is to replace the hard drive with a brand new one and to keep or destroy (cut in half) the hard drive with your data on it.

There are many programs available that will “wipe” your hard drive , they basically scramble the data , replacing the binary with random 0 &1 ‘s , they will do multiple passes and will be good enough for most

However a professional or crook may be able to reverse the process and of course the police have access to very sophisticated software that finds stuff

?

I think if you are concerned that GCHQ or the CIA will be interested in the contents of your hard disk, probably best not to donate.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me and Missis T went for our social distance walk today. Bumped into next door neighbour just as we got home. It took her all of 30 seconds to have a rant. Her brother went for his Corona virus vaccination today. He is in his 50’s. Her kids call him “ uncle chunky”. It was his idea. Apparently he is very overweight. Anyway he got a phone call to book in for a vaccine as his BMI is very high. Hence he is a risk. She is livid. Ave never met him but her words “ he is a bone idle useless so and so”. I pointed out should he get Covid, strain on the NHS etc. She said it’s so unfair.
Me and Missis T had a lovely de stress walk til we more or less got home. ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

?
So in a way the inability to actually delete data properly is an infringement of human rights and who ever developed the hardware that doesn’t allow you to do this could be taken to court as all the others are just parasites playing on the hardware weaknesses... I know they have caught a few people off the back this capability but in the end no one is free no one has any secrets

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
So in a way the inability to actually delete data properly is an infringement of human rights and who ever developed the hardware that doesn’t allow you to do this could be taken to court as all the others are just parasites playing on the hardware weaknesses... I know they have caught a few people off the back this capability but in the end no one is free no one has any secrets

Good luck with the court case ?

Meanwhile back in the real world......

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back in the late 90s we had someone leave and handed their PC in. Apparently what was on it was described as "legendary, illegal, disturbing and at times, all three together".
We never could convince the Tech Leader to give us a showing.

Mandofred

Visit site

?
Sorry, nothing tooooooo horrible on the computer. Only thing would be possible banking info that makes me paranoid. In the past I've just taken a hammer to the hard drive.....I guess it doesn't prevent the secret service from getting my info.......but I can live with that.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Sorry, nothing tooooooo horrible on the computer. Only thing would be possible banking info that makes me paranoid. In the past I've just taken a hammer to the hard drive.....I guess it doesn't prevent the secret service from getting my info.......but I can live with that.

In that case download DBAN onto a bootable usb stick and off you go ?

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
6B560C69-C39E-4E15-AF66-C7475FDDFA86.gif
Back in the late 90s we had someone leave and handed their PC in. Apparently what was on it was described as "legendary, illegal, disturbing and at times, all three together".
We never could convince the Tech Leader to give us a showing.