Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...nced-deaths-24-December-2020-weekly-file.xlsx

Going on the figures in tab 3 in the link above there are a total of 388 deaths from 3 age groups, 59 and below, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1591, aged 60 and over, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1979 deaths with no pre-existing condition.

The total No of deaths from Covid19 is 47749.

These are deaths that have occurred in hospital in England and the person was positive for Covid19.

So your numbers are correct, but sadly, when the deniers (not Steve) are only using the figure of 388 (59 and under), they do not mention it’s England only, or they in hospital or any of the other information. They then use the figure of 70,000 which I believe is what some in the media use as the “true” death toll.

I’ve also seen it used as a % figure against the population of the UK.

It is one stat which is used, imo, incorrectly to cause alarm and despondency amongst younger people.

The biggest issue with the data is whether any pre-existing condition influenced the likelihood of getting Covid (eg immunosuppressive) or influenced the likelihood of death once they had it (e.g. cardiac or respiratory disease). Many of the things listed as pre-existing illnesses had neither effect but lots of older people do have some pre-existing disorder of some sort, everything from a recovered stroke to osteo-arthritis. It is very misleading to characterise Covid in such people as a condition of the frail and sick, and there has been an attempt in some quarters to say “Well, most of these people were likely to die soon anyway”. Saying the 300-odd died of Covid alone and the rest really died of their pre-existing condition, maybe helped on the way by Covid, is simply false and falsely encourages relatively healthy people to take less care.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks for explaining.
Have not come across these "deniers" propaganda items myself yet. That context is useful.
Unfortunately (it’s not actually that bad) I run the social media accounts for the Golf Club so I get to see a lot of retweets, posts etc on things like FBook, Twitter and to a far lesser degree, Instagram. I have thought of linking some of these articles just to let people on here see some of the ignorance out there! Some of it from professional people as well.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a wonderfully sympathetic comment about two professional sportsmen suffering the long term effects of a virus that is preventing them from doing their job. The vast majority of people on this forum are decent human beings. Comments like that make me think that you are in the minority.

Furlough runs until March so they should be okay I suspect.......

D

Deleted member 16999

The biggest issue with the data is whether any pre-existing condition influenced the likelihood of getting Covid (eg immunosuppressive) or influenced the likelihood of death once they had it (e.g. cardiac or respiratory disease). Many of the things listed as pre-existing illnesses had neither effect but lots of older people do have some pre-existing disorder of some sort, everything from a recovered stroke to osteo-arthritis. It is very misleading to characterise Covid in such people as a condition of the frail and sick, and there has been an attempt in some quarters to say “Well, most of these people were likely to die soon anyway”. Saying the 300-odd died of Covid alone and the rest really died of their pre-existing condition, maybe helped on the way by Covid, is simply false and falsely encourages relatively healthy people to take less care.
Which is why I think it is irresponsible for NHS England to publish this information publicly, yes have it available, but have available for those who need and understand it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Any of the "young" people that are being blasé about how serious this is should be forced to read the stories of the two Newcastle players that are still suffering after having it. These are two of the fittest people in the country and they are still suffering considerably. Yes they survived but there is no immediate prospect of them returning to football.

"Newcastle will not name those individuals afflicted on grounds of medical confidentiality but Bruce has seen his squad experience a wide range of symptoms and degree of illness. “We’ve had the full set,” he said. “We’ve had vomiting, sores, mouth ulcers, no smell, no taste. The fatigue element is a big problem. For the vast majority who had it, fatigue is the one thing the virus leaves. They go for a walk for half an hour and then want to go back to bed. It’s as brutal as that. It’s been a really difficult couple of weeks. It’s extremely difficult to manage.” "

"The unnamed duo are expected to be sidelined for weeks as they recover from falling seriously ill, and having witnessed the effects of Covid at first hand, Bruce is imploring everyone to take the disease seriously as the Government prepares to relax restrictions for a five-day period over Christmas.
“If you ever underestimated this thing, then don’t,” said the Newcastle boss. “You’re talking about elite professionals here, and the way it got hold of everybody was quite scary stuff. For everybody out there, stay safe. I know it’s Christmas, but with what we’ve just witnessed, then you’ve got to be careful.
“The players are fit, healthy and young, and for the vast majority, it washes over them. But unfortunately, for two of the players in particular, it has not washed over them. I think it would be wrong for me to go into too much detail, but they’re not going to be ready for at least a couple of weeks."

If supremely fit, young footballers can be suffering so badly several weeks after catching it then they need to realise how much worse it could be for the average Joe/Joanna in the street.
It is awful what’s happening to these footballers and others, however, shock treatment never works on every one, if it did we‘d have less young people start smoking or drinking etc.

The sad fact is a lot of us at that age thought we were invicible or had an attitude of “it’ll never happen to us”

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of us were expecting a tough January and this trend is reinforcing that view.
Could do with the trend reversing soon ?

Have to see what the affect Tier 4 has had - if it follows the other trends we should see a drop - but that would only happen if people have abided by the restrictions

D

Deleted member 3432

Have to see what the affect Tier 4 has had - if it follows the other trends we should see a drop - but that would only happen if people have abided by the restrictions

Plenty of people from tier 4 out and about in the tier 2 Lake District the last couple of days, even needing Mountain Rescue to drag them down off the fells....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And we know that many haven't...
Its been 10 days since T4 and all I've seen is numbers going up.
If its working then we should see some decreases soon.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst we have abided by Tier 4 restrictions it doesn't feel as if we 100% should when our area is so low compared to those in Tier 3. We're lumped into Cambridgeshire but as Huntingdonshire are pretty low. Golf course and gym are in Northamptonshire which has been quite high in spots for the whole year yet bizarrely only went to tier 3 in the last review. So we can't visit either due to the risk of transmission and yet we'd be more at risk there than in our local area.

Simplest thing to aid compliance is to get rid of discrepencies and have us all in the same tier...aka lockdown!