Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted Member 1156

The clown of a head teacher at the school my G/F works at decided it would be a good idea to have an Xmas lunch the day before end of term. 350 people in one hall, now 5 teachers have tested positive ?
Update on this, one of the teachers has now been admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties :cry:

D

Deleted member 21258

Are they reporting where these cases are being diagnosed?

You can change the region on this, by clicking on 'Shropshire', a drop down menu will appear if you like this specimen date) or goto the whole of UK reports :-

Cases | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ (all data is given via this link)

Or if you want on reported data(you change look at your area) :-

How many coronavirus cases are there in Shropshire? (getthedata.com)

Or a seven day rolling figure/map is given here :-

Interactive Map | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

Hope that helps.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That isn't what I said or suggested.

I didn't say Covid was "an innocent bystander," I said most deaths must be where Covid had compounded a pre-existing condition, in the same way as your earlier analogy of someone with high blood pressure who suffers from a heart attack. It seems that this data indicates that hardly any deaths occur in otherwise healthy younger individuals with no existing medical condition. All I was pointing out was that is a message I had not seen previously.

Will reiterate I am not one of the conspiracy theorists or rule breakers. I adhere to the rules and have taken part in a Covid vaccine trial and, if I had the placebo rather than the vaccine, I will be taking up the vaccine at the earliest opportunity.

That isn't what you said, unless you were assuming we all took older age to be a pre-existing condition (which it isn't on death certificates). .

The first couple of line of your post were : I read elsewhere, that only 388 people have died in the UK (or maybe England) from Covid, i.e. they had no underlying health conditions. All other (c. 70,000) deaths were due to other pre- existing medical conditions, compounded by Covid, or where they died from the condition but had tested positive for Covid.

That assertion is still utterly false and arises from Covid deniers in the US who deliberately misinterpreted data on death certificate, and it is not what you just claimed you said. No meaningful proportion of these people died of the underlying condition, and very few of the underlying condition compounded by Covid. The great majority died of Covid, which in some cases they got or were made worse by, an underlying condition. Many of these deaths occurred in people whose underling condition was controlled and posed little risk of imminent harm.

The likelihood that anyone died from another condition, pre-existing or not, can be inferred from the normal background death rate. In any 28 day period, that is extremely low for even older people, and only exceeds 1% for people over 80 years old.

This sort of sh!t is very harmful and leads people to ignore hygiene measures. You really shouldn't spread it around.

D

Deleted member 16999

That isn't what you said, unless you were assuming we all took older age to be a pre-existing condition (which it isn't on death certificates). .

The first couple of line of your post were : I read elsewhere, that only 388 people have died in the UK (or maybe England) from Covid, i.e. they had no underlying health conditions. All other (c. 70,000) deaths were due to other pre- existing medical conditions, compounded by Covid, or where they died from the condition but had tested positive for Covid.

That assertion is still utterly false and arises from Covid deniers in the US who deliberately misinterpreted data on death certificate, and it is not what you just claimed you said. No meaningful proportion of these people died of the underlying condition, and very few of the underlying condition compounded by Covid. The great majority died of Covid, which in some cases they got or were made worse by, an underlying condition. Many of these deaths occurred in people whose underling condition was controlled and posed little risk of imminent harm.

The likelihood that anyone died from another condition, pre-existing or not, can be inferred from the normal background death rate. In any 28 day period, that is extremely low for even older people, and only exceeds 1% for people over 80 years old.

This sort of sh!t is very harmful and leads people to ignore hygiene measures. You really shouldn't spread it around.
I think you’re being a bit harsh, I clarified it to him were the figures he had heard had come from. It’s nothing to do with the US, it’s people in this Country reading the figures on the NHS England website, which is linked from the .Gov page.

Are you saying the NHS England figures for the deaths of those from Covid-19 aged 59 and under with no pre-existing health condition is incorrect?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Update on this, one of the teachers has now been admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties :cry:

Obviously sad news and I hope for the best however whilst the headteacher was an idiot doesn’t this also boil down to personal responsibility?

The teacher who attended could have turned around and gone back home but made the decision to crack on and have a good time.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sorry you’ve genuinely lost me, all the deaths are a tragedy and I am as far removed from being a covid denier that there is. I never used the 70,000 figure and explained it was Steve.

Why would anyone disagree with that figure? Surely it’s accurate if NHS England are publishing it.

The only issue I have with the figure is the idiots using it to somehow undermine what we are up against as I have heard some say that they disagree with being locked up as the chances of ”them” dying from catching Covid is a lot less than other risks they face everyday.

What they seem to forget though that the battle is not with them, it’s with all of us.
Even then, as you've lost me!
Maybe your posts weren't being interpreted as you expected and/or I'm not interpreting them right.
Personally I feel the England NHS stats are worthy of debate.
My advice to Steve would have been to raise the debate, but miss out the "guessed at" numbers, as that just distracts (as has done).
To your question, I would disagree with that number.
To me:
1979 from 47,749
I very different to:
338 from 70,000

Happy to be corrected if I have the numbers incorrect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Even then, as you've lost me!
Maybe your posts weren't being interpreted as you expected and/or I'm not interpreting them right.
Personally I feel the England NHS stats are worthy of debate.
My advice to Steve would have been to raise the debate, but miss out the "guessed at" numbers, as that just distracts (as has done).
To your question, I would disagree with that number.
To me:
1979 from 47,479
I very different to:
338 from 70,000

Happy to be corrected if I have the numbers incorrect.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...nced-deaths-24-December-2020-weekly-file.xlsx

Going on the figures in tab 3 in the link above there are a total of 388 deaths from 3 age groups, 59 and below, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1591, aged 60 and over, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1979 deaths with no pre-existing condition.

The total No of deaths from Covid19 is 47749.

These are deaths that have occurred in hospital in England and the person was positive for Covid19.

So your numbers are correct, but sadly, when the deniers (not Steve) are only using the figure of 388 (59 and under), they do not mention it’s England only, or they in hospital or any of the other information. They then use the figure of 70,000 which I believe is what some in the media use as the “true” death toll.

I’ve also seen it used as a % figure against the population of the UK.

It is one stat which is used, imo, incorrectly to cause alarm and despondency amongst younger people.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any of the "young" people that are being blasé about how serious this is should be forced to read the stories of the two Newcastle players that are still suffering after having it. These are two of the fittest people in the country and they are still suffering considerably. Yes they survived but there is no immediate prospect of them returning to football.

"Newcastle will not name those individuals afflicted on grounds of medical confidentiality but Bruce has seen his squad experience a wide range of symptoms and degree of illness. “We’ve had the full set,” he said. “We’ve had vomiting, sores, mouth ulcers, no smell, no taste. The fatigue element is a big problem. For the vast majority who had it, fatigue is the one thing the virus leaves. They go for a walk for half an hour and then want to go back to bed. It’s as brutal as that. It’s been a really difficult couple of weeks. It’s extremely difficult to manage.” "

"The unnamed duo are expected to be sidelined for weeks as they recover from falling seriously ill, and having witnessed the effects of Covid at first hand, Bruce is imploring everyone to take the disease seriously as the Government prepares to relax restrictions for a five-day period over Christmas.
“If you ever underestimated this thing, then don’t,” said the Newcastle boss. “You’re talking about elite professionals here, and the way it got hold of everybody was quite scary stuff. For everybody out there, stay safe. I know it’s Christmas, but with what we’ve just witnessed, then you’ve got to be careful.
“The players are fit, healthy and young, and for the vast majority, it washes over them. But unfortunately, for two of the players in particular, it has not washed over them. I think it would be wrong for me to go into too much detail, but they’re not going to be ready for at least a couple of weeks."

If supremely fit, young footballers can be suffering so badly several weeks after catching it then they need to realise how much worse it could be for the average Joe/Joanna in the street.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Obviously sad news and I hope for the best however whilst the headteacher was an idiot doesn’t this also boil down to personal responsibility?

The teacher who attended could have turned around and gone back home but made the decision to crack on and have a good time.
Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that. This was a school lunch meal and the staff were required to be there to supervise the pupils. Many (including my G/F) spoke out against it but at the end of the day they are paid to do a job.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any of the "young" people that are being blasé about how serious this is should be forced to read the stories of the two Newcastle players that are still suffering after having it. These are two of the fittest people in the country and they are still suffering considerably. Yes they survived but there is no immediate prospect of them returning to football.

"Newcastle will not name those individuals afflicted on grounds of medical confidentiality but Bruce has seen his squad experience a wide range of symptoms and degree of illness. “We’ve had the full set,” he said. “We’ve had vomiting, sores, mouth ulcers, no smell, no taste. The fatigue element is a big problem. For the vast majority who had it, fatigue is the one thing the virus leaves. They go for a walk for half an hour and then want to go back to bed. It’s as brutal as that. It’s been a really difficult couple of weeks. It’s extremely difficult to manage.” "

"The unnamed duo are expected to be sidelined for weeks as they recover from falling seriously ill, and having witnessed the effects of Covid at first hand, Bruce is imploring everyone to take the disease seriously as the Government prepares to relax restrictions for a five-day period over Christmas.
“If you ever underestimated this thing, then don’t,” said the Newcastle boss. “You’re talking about elite professionals here, and the way it got hold of everybody was quite scary stuff. For everybody out there, stay safe. I know it’s Christmas, but with what we’ve just witnessed, then you’ve got to be careful.
“The players are fit, healthy and young, and for the vast majority, it washes over them. But unfortunately, for two of the players in particular, it has not washed over them. I think it would be wrong for me to go into too much detail, but they’re not going to be ready for at least a couple of weeks."

If supremely fit, young footballers can be suffering so badly several weeks after catching it then they need to realise how much worse it could be for the average Joe/Joanna in the street.

One of Bruce’s best excuses for being a terrible manager of a terrible football team (again!!).....

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that. This was a school lunch meal and the staff were required to be there to supervise the pupils. Many (including my G/F) spoke out against it but at the end of the day they are paid to do a job.

Ah, fair enough, thought it was a teachers jolly rather than a school thing. Ridiculous decision by the Head to allow it and, should the worst happen to any member of staff then I would expect them to face the consequences.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Waiting on my daughters test result. She was sent home from work (care home) with a cough and tight chest.
She’s quarantining in her room and Mrs d has used about a million gallons of dettol spray around the house

D

Deleted member 21258

snip

It is one stat which is used, imo, incorrectly to cause alarm and despondency amongst younger people.

Don't disagree with what you say in your post.

I had a conversation with my daughter(20s) recently when she become aware of these figures, effectively what you say and welcomed the discussion, openness is key. Luckily I knew already about this, as such was pre armed with knowledge.

We discussed about the whole of point of restrictions, is to try to save as many people as possible, reduce damage to people who will survive and all the small bits we can do, hopefully will help with this.

Discussed more, as its not a simple ask and certainly very foggy. And isn't helped when the people at most risk (ie. old) [or others], are doing stuff you would not suggest is wise......As we know age is the biggest killer with this virus.

There has been some low points for me, not going to my sons birthday, as that would make 7 of us, even if outside. Not having Christmas dinner as a whole family was the same, we had done that for over 28 years. Still not sure the government should have the power to say that but I will run with it for now. Sadly still don't see this ending before 2022 or 2023 really, nothing has changed my mind this is in for the medium/long term.....

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...nced-deaths-24-December-2020-weekly-file.xlsx

Going on the figures in tab 3 in the link above there are a total of 388 deaths from 3 age groups, 59 and below, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1591, aged 60 and over, with no pre-existing condition.

A total of 1979 deaths with no pre-existing condition.

The total No of deaths from Covid19 is 47749.

These are deaths that have occurred in hospital in England and the person was positive for Covid19.

So your numbers are correct, but sadly, when the deniers (not Steve) are only using the figure of 388 (59 and under), they do not mention it’s England only, or they in hospital or any of the other information. They then use the figure of 70,000 which I believe is what some in the media use as the “true” death toll.

I’ve also seen it used as a % figure against the population of the UK.

Thanks for explaining.
Have not come across these "deniers" propaganda items myself yet. That context is useful.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of Bruce’s best excuses for being a terrible manager of a terrible football team (again!!).....

What a wonderfully sympathetic comment about two professional sportsmen suffering the long term effects of a virus that is preventing them from doing their job. The vast majority of people on this forum are decent human beings. Comments like that make me think that you are in the minority.