Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The clown of a head teacher at the school my G/F works at decided it would be a good idea to have an Xmas lunch the day before end of term. 350 people in one hall, now 5 teachers have tested positive ?

What?! Has the pandemic passed this imbecile by?

I would go as far as to say that is borderline gross misconduct. Staggering.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The clown of a head teacher at the school my G/F works at decided it would be a good idea to have an Xmas lunch the day before end of term. 350 people in one hall, now 5 teachers have tested positive ?

The headmistress of the independent school HID works at held a Christmas dinner for the staff on the 22nd. HID ducked out. We were tier 3 at the time but madness to have everyone together. At least those that were infectious and those that got infected should have isolated (but is there any guarantee) and be clear before school resumes

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

Why would you consider going? Peer pressure or just similar stupidity as displayed by the clown at the top?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Apparently there are now more Covid patients in English hospitals than at the peak of the 1st wave in April.

Not surprising given how people have been behaving the last few months. It is starting to make us sick when the politicians and the experts keep thanking everyone for following the guidelines when we know that so many are not.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why would you consider going? Peer pressure or just similar stupidity as displayed by the clown at the top?

Clearly stupidity. I'd be worried about sending my kids to that school if there is a mass of teaching staff that devoid of common sense.
The other answer is there is no insentive for them no to go! If they go an end up having to isolate they get 2 weeks off on full pay.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
With the flurry of news reports of the "UK/England/London virus" strain being identified in various different countries they all seem to be mentioning individual recently travelled from UK/London.
If only someone had mentioned in the last 9 months that the virus can't move about by itself ??

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

I imagine you don’t want to say which school, but the school my wife works at has a similar situation with over 20 staff testing positive since the 18th.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I read elsewhere, that only 388 people have died in the UK (or maybe England) from Covid, i.e. they had no underlying health conditions. All other (c. 70,000) deaths were due to other pre- existing medical conditions, compounded by Covid, or where they died from the condition but had tested positive for Covid. If that is correct, and I can't confirm that, it does add some perspective.

I am in no way playing down the severity of the pandemic, or advocating that the restrictions are unnecessary, but I was staggered by that number, apparently from NHS data. Has anyone else seen it? That might explain why so many seem unwilling to adhere to the guidance as they do not feel they are at (serious) risk.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's the thing about statistics... the survival rate amongst the "otherwise healthy" is massive... and that is used as an excuse to "go around as normal."

That doesn't mean hospitals don't have ambulances queuing round the block.

We had a guy at out golf club "survived" after a lengthy period on a ventilator. He said it was indescribable and several months later he isn't back to normal.

D

Deleted member 16999

I read elsewhere, that only 388 people have died in the UK (or maybe England) from Covid, i.e. they had no underlying health conditions. All other (c. 70,000) deaths were due to other pre- existing medical conditions, compounded by Covid, or where they died from the condition but had tested positive for Covid. If that is correct, and I can't confirm that, it does add some perspective.

I am in no way playing down the severity of the pandemic, or advocating that the restrictions are unnecessary, but I was staggered by that number, apparently from NHS data. Has anyone else seen it? That might explain why so many seem unwilling to adhere to the guidance as they do not feel they are at (serious) risk.
That figure is for those aged Under 60 with no pre-existing health condition England, it was last updated as at 16th Dec on the NHS Website.

I agree it might explain why some selfish people maybe acting the way they are, but then I’d argue that maybe the way the information on Covid has been put across has been misleading or missed the point at times.

Edit: Info here.
F049DBD0-A488-42B6-9D47-37490D37C3D2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Not belittling your post, but we all know that the wildest things have been written during and about Covid.
But do you really suppose that all those scenes in hospitals of patients unable to breathe etc, because of Covid, is because they have another health condition?
Reported recently , a group of teachers got Covid. One sadly died. Teaching one week, then very quickly ill.
Had the person got another condition, it's clear it wasn't that that suddenly accelerated and caused the death? It was because Covid entered the body.
That was the cause of death.
The bottom line is, surely, -If Covid had not come along, would you still be living your life as you were this time last year, broadly speaking.?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I believe that those pre-existing conditions include things like asthma and the one that I have - Bradycardia. It’s not going to kill me. COVID might. The people putting forward these arguments are being hugely dismissive of the deaths of 10’s of thousands of people and are doing it to forward an anti-lockdown agenda.

There’s a special place in hell reserved for people like that ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is false and dangerous nonsense written (not by you, obvs) by someone who is either knowingly lying or utterly clueless about death certification. It is not NHS data, it is data wrongly interpreted from CDC data in the US and circulated by Covid deniers. Please don't circulate this [redacted].

The national figures for Covid deaths are done in a couple of ways. Initial figures are based on those who test positive and die within 28 days. it is true that many of those people have undelying conditions, but they are things like high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma etc, and the probability that they will die of one of those in the next 28 days is vanishingly small, for practical purposes, zero. It might surprise you that the actuarial probability that an average 80 year old will die in the next 28 days is less than 1%.

Data is gathered this way because even if imperfect, it is consistent and therefore temporal trends can be tracked. If the definition of a related death changed, the data would become useless. In all likelihood, it is actually an underestimate because the number of people misclassified as dying of Covid when they didn't is almost certainly outweighed by the number who actually die from Covid after 28 days, e.g. after a lengthy ICU stay, or were never tested.

On the death certificate, Covid may be mentioned if part of the cause of death. If that death was due to the oft-cited hit by a bus, it won't be mentioned at all. If death is due to an inflammatory complication of Covid, it will, regardless of whether it is within 28 days or not.

If you had previous high blood pressure and then had a heart attack and died, did you die from a heart attack or high blood pressure? On the UK death certificate, heart attack (aka myocardial infarction) would be listed a a primary cause of death, and high blood pressure may be listed as a subsidiary cause, i.e it contributed to the chance of having a myocardial infarction.

And if you died from cancer because your treatment was interrupted because of Covid pressures, what is your cause of death?

It is patently ridiculous for anyone to suggest that there are only a few Covid deaths and the rest is just the usual normal stuff. The queue of ambulances, packed hospitals and broken front line staff will tell anyone who is not a Covid denier otherwise.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's the thing about statistics... the survival rate amongst the "otherwise healthy" is massive... and that is used as an excuse to "go around as normal."

We had a guy at out golf club "survived" after a lengthy period on a ventilator. He said it was indescribable and several months later he isn't back to normal.
This is the point a lot of people are missing.
Hospitals are nearly full
They have large numbers of patients with Covid - some of these people are taking up space in ITUs
If you have a heart attack, stroke, major car crash or something else that requires ITU care....you ain't necessarily going to get it
Because there's a couple of dozen Covid patients already there - there's nowhere for you to go and the Hospital staff then have to start making decisions about who gets care and who doesn't or, to,put it another way, whk lives and who dies.
Lockdowns slow the flow of Covid into the hospital system so they have the ability to cope with the numbers AND those who need it from the list above.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

High rates of PTSD being reported after ICU and hospital stays for Covid.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in April, Dr Elisa Granato volunteered to take part in a Covid-19 vaccine trial, the first in Europe..
Reports soon followed that 2 days later, she died from the vaccine and four others were seriously ill.
Firstly, only two people took part in the trial.

Secondly, Dr Elisa Granato confirmed several months later that the news of her death was premature.

https://theferret.scot/vaccine-trial-oxford-elisa-granato-fact-check/

The moral of the story is do your own research and check the facts the best you can before spreading/sharing misleading information.