Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heard this evening that our lad seems to have ’clicked’ with the CBT counsellor we’ve arranged for him. Had a first session and has arranged a second. There was a big risk that he’d reject it as useless gobbledygook - but it seems that his rock-bottom is deep and he understands it for what it basically is - and he knows he needs outside support to help him accept his situation and clear the mental blocks he has so that he can start develop the mindset that will enable him to move out of the dire straits he has found himself in due to the coronavirus.

Great news. Took me years and much persuasion from my wife to get CBT help but so glad I took that first step

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Daughter #2's sudden blindness hasn't really improved and is now compounded with motor control issues with her right leg and right arm + issues of bladder control. Add to that she is now self-isolating because her best buddy, who they met for coffee last week, has been diagnosed with Covid.... oh, and she has Lupus.

Daughter #1 is due to give birth in 2 weeks. Unfortunately a diagnosis of fibroids has meant she is now scheduled for a C-section.

Daughter #3, a primary school teacher, is having her Covid test this evening after one of her pupils tested positive for Covid.... oh, and she's due to give birth just after Christmas.

There's more than enough stress there without Covid travel restrictions, lockdowns and quarantines.

I'm beyond angry tonight. Turns out some thoughtless selfish excuse for a parent has sent their child back into my son and daughters school today after the kid was ill over the holiday, and has had a positive result today. We're never going to beat this thing while morons like this are allowed to breed.

Anyway all the best to you and yours Brian, i hope things turn out well

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Daughter #2's sudden blindness hasn't really improved and is now compounded with motor control issues with her right leg and right arm + issues of bladder control. Add to that she is now self-isolating because her best buddy, who they met for coffee last week, has been diagnosed with Covid.... oh, and she has Lupus.

Daughter #1 is due to give birth in 2 weeks. Unfortunately a diagnosis of fibroids has meant she is now scheduled for a C-section.

Daughter #3, a primary school teacher, is having her Covid test this evening after one of her pupils tested positive for Covid.... oh, and she's due to give birth just after Christmas.

There's more than enough stress there without Covid travel restrictions, lockdowns and quarantines.

I know life was never meant to be easy, but flippin eck Brian, it was never meant to be this tough!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's not easy to comment about how we are impacted as individuals by the coronavirus as the impacts we experience largely come about through government policy. But when we comment on a policy that is deemed 'political' - when in fact it only becomes 'political' when individuals take stances on it reflecting political positions - when in fact the only position that actually matters when discussing the impact on us is the position taken by the government.

As a result I should, for instance, be able to observe (without political comment or being accused of being political) on the furlough scheme as it might apply to a Scottish Lockdown. I can surely observe that in the HoC yesterday the PM confirmed to the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives that the furlough scheme in place for the English Lockdown will apply equally to any future Scottish lockdown. But today I hear that there is some 'rowing back' on this. Why does that matter to me? Because some of my immediate family and relatives in Scotland could be severely impacted by a Scottish Lockdown...and they will depend upon government support.

And I should be able to express my concern about this and wonder why our government might not extend the 80% furlough scheme to a Scottish Lockdown - and I might wonder about how that would play with a Scottish electorate with Holyrood elections coming up in almost precisely 6 months time. These are concerns and observations. I take no political stance.

However i do recognise that the above might generate political discourse - discourse that I will not engage in - but it is surely that discourse that would be out of bounds...

It is just not on to introduce much comment on government policy, including "expressing concern " about it, I.e disapproval of it, and then claim it is not being political!
It amounts to you giving an opinion of political decisions, mostly critical, and then saying you don't intend to talk about it politically..if others respond in the same vein
Just don't introduce the subject. It's political.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Went to the supermarket tonight, they had the queuing barriers set out which I suppose I should have anticipated but still seemed a bit of a shock. It was quiet at this time but plenty of evidence the crazies had been in - lots of empty shelves ?
Thankfully as I was buying specifics and not panic hoarding I was able to buy everything I went for.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Always read your posts with interest Bri as they usually bring a degree of sanity or calm to a thread. But this one was a shocker. When you're up to your arse in crocodiles, it doesn't seem fair that someone lobs in another crocodile. The distance & separation can't be easy for you or B. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site

Christ almighty you and your family are really having it rough and i wish you all the very best , i got great solace when my dad passed from the dementia thread so i really hope you can find
an outlet for your stress as it needs to be vented .I am sure the members on here will be happy for you to blow off at us if it helps in some small way . Makes all the petty bickering insignificant.

Good luck i would like to think i speak for some (plenty) on here when i say our thoughts are with you at this difficult time

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Drats! Thought I was being really clever yesterday afternoon buying something urgently required from our local Homebase prior to lockdown - to be informed by my wife that it will be staying open - but forgetting that I have some contact lenses to pick up from my optician - and that might now be closed :(

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drats! Thought I was being really clever yesterday afternoon buying something urgently required from our local Homebase prior to lockdown - to be informed by my wife that it will be staying open - but forgetting that I have some contact lenses to pick up from my optician - and that might now be closed :(

Opticians staying open this time.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shopped in Lidl today and pleased to see barely a sign of panic buying. Perhaps a bit less stock of toilet rolls but still plenty on the shelves.

In lockdown one we relied on home deliveries yet this time haven't felt the need. If we're anything to go by some of the fear factor has gone (mask wearing does help that) - in turn that may mean it's less effective.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shopped in Lidl today and pleased to see barely a sign of panic buying. Perhaps a bit less stock of toilet rolls but still plenty on the shelves.

In lockdown one we relied on home deliveries yet this time haven't felt the need. If we're anything to go by some of the fear factor has gone (mask wearing does help that) - in turn that may mean it's less effective.

We have been ordering via Waitrose home delivery but slots have become non-existent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We will do our essential shops at one or other of two smaller supermarkets in centre of town - as we did during the first lockdown - we found that early evening they were pretty much empty...mind you we normally went to them as part of our early evening exercise/walk...we did comment back at the time that whilst it was OK queuing for a short while if we had to - it wouldn't be so great on a dark, cold or wet autumn/winter's evening. We really didn't think that it would come to pass.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
was hoping to close a deal this month... just got a note from the buyer that he is being furlonged... there goes Q4 targets (like the yearly target) :(

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So David has had a bit of man flu. No covid symptoms as such. Took a test just in case and both shocked it came back today as positive. I've a scratchy throat and slight dry cough so been for a drive thru test this afternoon. I feel really bad now that I went to Lidl yesterday. Wore a mask and sanitised hands etc but all the same...

So he's trying to self-isolate at home (from me!) whilst we await my test result.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh dear, hope he's OK and you somehow avoid it!

I think stable door springs to mind but you never know! I'd seen on the club website that catering was impacted by self isolation requirements and the chef played with us last Saturday - I'm blaming him!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So David has had a bit of man flu. No covid symptoms as such. Took a test just in case and both shocked it came back today as positive. I've a scratchy throat and slight dry cough so been for a drive thru test this afternoon. I feel really bad now that I went to Lidl yesterday. Wore a mask and sanitised hands etc but all the same...

So he's trying to self-isolate at home (from me!) whilst we await my test result.

Had cold like symptoms last week. Put it down to just that but was asked to go for a test. Negative. Think it's going to be pain for a lot of our staff who have a genuine sniffle/cold and still get asked to test. I get the need to be careful and better safe than sorry but I am concerned on numbers if too many are put on medical suspension pending results

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had cold like symptoms last week. Put it down to just that but was asked to go for a test. Negative. Think it's going to be pain for a lot of our staff who have a genuine sniffle/cold and still get asked to test. I get the need to be careful and better safe than sorry but I am concerned on numbers if too many are put on medical suspension pending results

There's the conundrum. We were sure it wasn't covid as he had none of the recognised symptoms although having read more now the headache he had is a symptom but not one that gets asked when you book a test.