Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It's not easy to comment about how we are impacted as individuals by the coronavirus as the impacts we experience largely come about through government policy. But when we comment on a policy that is deemed 'political' - when in fact it only becomes 'political' when individuals take stances on it reflecting political positions - when in fact the only position that actually matters when discussing the impact on us is the position taken by the government.

As a result I should, for instance, be able to observe (without political comment or being accused of being political) on the furlough scheme as it might apply to a Scottish Lockdown. I can surely observe that in the HoC yesterday the PM confirmed to the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives that the furlough scheme in place for the English Lockdown will apply equally to any future Scottish lockdown. But today I hear that there is some 'rowing back' on this. Why does that matter to me? Because some of my immediate family and relatives in Scotland could be severely impacted by a Scottish Lockdown...and they will depend upon government support.

And I should be able to express my concern about this and wonder why our government might not extend the 80% furlough scheme to a Scottish Lockdown - and I might wonder about how that would play with a Scottish electorate with Holyrood elections coming up in almost precisely 6 months time. These are concerns and observations. I take no political stance.

However i do recognise that the above might generate political discourse - discourse that I will not engage in - but it is surely that discourse that would be out of bounds...

I agree with pretty much all of what you are saying but do feel that if a comment, call it an observation if you want to play with semantics, is made, then irrespective of if you agree or disagree with the politics it is a political comment. By saying you have an opinion of how it hurts/helps you, you are making a political comment about the viability of how the policy works. Yes, absolutely as you say, we can't get away from the politics of it in so much as it impacts on us, and its a shame we can't discuss it but the referee has said we can't go there.

And it may well be that in some people's eyes your comment isn't political but, unfortunately, those comments are often a catalyst for an argument.

You could always do as I have done. I make my political comments on a different forum.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually, no, you are totally wrong and the title of the thread pretty much explains that. Not sure how a thread asking how it affect you and invites comments about personal experience can be interpreted as an invite to discuss how a country should manage a pandemic and that is not what this thread is about. It was set up for personal impacts of the pandemic and lockdown and a place to express may be even more important over the next few weeks. You want to argue in general terms about lockdowns and policy I would say, firstly, that it is a political debate and so not permitted and, secondly, if you think it should be allowed then start a thread, lockdowns and policy, right or wrong.

Anyway, had my say and whilst I am always happy discuss matters, I will avoid the irony of taking the thread off track again by arguing about whether the thread has gone off track.
How about suggesting you don't agree with my comment rather than proclaiming 'No, you are totally wrong' or qualifying by saying 'In your opinion' Otherwise it comes over as bickering ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with pretty much all of what you are saying but do feel that if a comment, call it an observation if you want to play with semantics, is made, then irrespective of if you agree or disagree with the politics it is a political comment. By saying you have an opinion of how it hurts/helps you, you are making a political comment about the viability of how the policy works. Yes, absolutely as you say, we can't get away from the politics of it in so much as it impacts on us, and its a shame we can't discuss it but the referee has said we can't go there.

And it may well be that in some people's eyes your comment isn't political but, unfortunately, those comments are often a catalyst for an argument.

You could always do as I have done. I make my political comments on a different forum.
Fair point about other forum but I am not interested in participating elsewhere - this is my one and only on-line family - you don't choose your family :) And so I'll desist with my line of thinking.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not easy to comment about how we are impacted as individuals by the coronavirus as the impacts we experience largely come about through government policy. But when we comment on a policy that is deemed 'political' - when in fact it only becomes 'political' when individuals take stances on it reflecting political positions - when in fact the only position that actually matters when discussing the impact on us is the position taken by the government.

As a result I should, for instance, be able to observe (without political comment or being accused of being political) on the furlough scheme as it might apply to a Scottish Lockdown. I can surely observe that in the HoC yesterday the PM confirmed to the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives that the furlough scheme in place for the English Lockdown will apply equally to any future Scottish lockdown. But today I hear that there is some 'rowing back' on this. Why does that matter to me? Because some of my immediate family and relatives in Scotland could be severely impacted by a Scottish Lockdown...and they will depend upon government support.

And I should be able to express my concern about this and wonder why our government might not extend the 80% furlough scheme to a Scottish Lockdown - and I might wonder about how that would play with a Scottish electorate with Holyrood elections coming up in almost precisely 6 months time. These are concerns and observations. I take no political stance.

However i do recognise that the above might generate political discourse - discourse that I will not engage in - but it is surely that discourse that would be out of bounds...
I'd call two political statements in that post, probably three.

Please don't cause the thread to be closed, it's unnecessary.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Daughter #2's sudden blindness hasn't really improved and is now compounded with motor control issues with her right leg and right arm + issues of bladder control. Add to that she is now self-isolating because her best buddy, who they met for coffee last week, has been diagnosed with Covid.... oh, and she has Lupus.

Daughter #1 is due to give birth in 2 weeks. Unfortunately a diagnosis of fibroids has meant she is now scheduled for a C-section.

Daughter #3, a primary school teacher, is having her Covid test this evening after one of her pupils tested positive for Covid.... oh, and she's due to give birth just after Christmas.

There's more than enough stress there without Covid travel restrictions, lockdowns and quarantines.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Daughter #2's sudden blindness hasn't really improved and is now compounded with motor control issues with her right leg and right arm + issues of bladder control. Add to that she is now self-isolating because her best buddy, who they met for coffee last week, has been diagnosed with Covid.... oh, and she has Lupus.

Daughter #1 is due to give birth in 2 weeks. Unfortunately a diagnosis of fibroids has meant she is now scheduled for a C-section.

Daughter #3, a primary school teacher, is having her Covid test this evening after one of her pupils tested positive for Covid.... oh, and she's due to give birth just after Christmas.

There's more than enough stress there without Covid travel restrictions, lockdowns and quarantines.
Jeez. Layer upon layer of stress and worry there. Best wishes isn't quite enough but it's the best I can do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why if it is his opinion that's fine he does not have to defend it to anyone!!
Privately, that would be fine. But if (s)he places it on an 'open' forum, (s)he's 'inviting' comment, or even a challenge! If a poster is not prepared for that, then my opinion is that they shouldn't post their opinion - at least not ! And I have no issue with folk placing different 'weights' to the same facts, thus perhaps forming a different opinion to mine.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bloody hell. Enough stress indeed. #1 and #3 should be fine. A C-section is relatively low risk.

Has daughter #2 seen a neurologist?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bloody hell. Enough stress indeed. #1 and #3 should be fine. A C-section is relatively low risk.

Has daughter #2 seen a neurologist?

Still waiting on Neurology. GP on her case - he has been fantastic! She's had MRI scans and an optomap scan - all clear. Opthamology think it might be MS.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still waiting on Neurology. GP on her case - he has been fantastic! She's had MRI scans and an optomap scan - all clear. Opthamology think it might be MS.

That would certainly be on the list of possible explanations, but there are a range of possibilities, so I hope it is something better rather than worse.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I’ve got it at the moment. Wife had a positive test last Friday so we’ve been isolating since then. Being relatively young & in good health I’m not especially bothered but there would be a fear of passing it on to someone who would be more vulnerable. it’s not stopped me working (from home) but it is unpleasant specially in the evening/night times. Fingers crossed it’s gone in a couple of days

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It must be so stressful for you both not being there. Hoping for the best outcomes for you all mate.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm not religious but I'll say a wee prayer and keep my fingers crossed for you and your family mate

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Brian, don't know what to say apart from this - thinking of you all.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We’ve never met beyond a shared interest on an anonymous forum, but your situation puts a lot of what is argued about here into painful perspective. I wish you all well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Heard this evening that our lad seems to have ’clicked’ with the CBT counsellor we’ve arranged for him. Had a first session and has arranged a second. There was a big risk that he’d reject it as useless gobbledygook - but it seems that his rock-bottom is deep and he understands it for what it basically is - and he knows he needs outside support to help him accept his situation and clear the mental blocks he has so that he can start develop the mindset that will enable him to move out of the dire straits he has found himself in due to the coronavirus.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard this evening that our lad seems to have ’clicked’ with the CBT counsellor we’ve arranged for him. Had a first session and has arranged a second. There was a big risk that he’d reject it as useless gobbledygook - but it seems that his rock-bottom is deep and he understands it for what it basically is - and he knows he needs outside support to help him accept his situation and clear the mental blocks he has so that he can start develop the mindset that will enable him to move out of the dire straits he has found himself in due to the coronavirus.
First step is the hardest .
Hopefully now he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Still a way to go though.
All the best to him.