Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
B8D8880D-FEAE-46F6-AA9E-B8228526AAA5.pngI don’t know what you have to do to get covid but it must be hard work. I was curious as I’ve been amongst it all since it began, and the nature of the job and the amount of people I encounter or share space with numbers 300 plus. It’s usually a festering breeding ground of illness.
Let’s see what winter brings.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
So my niece has tested positive, she is 21, her boyfriend has also tested positive, my other nieces who don't live with her but met with her this week due to a birthday have just been tested but wont get results until tomorrow. If these test positive my family will need to test as we spent time with them a few days ago. Everyone testing positive are asymptomatic apart from one person which caused the others to get tested once she got a positive.

Should not be an issue for the youngsters, hope my wife does not get it though, 3 hole sin her right lung from Pneumonia means it could be really bad for her. She see's very few people, just her sister and mum this week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So my niece has tested positive, she is 21, her boyfriend has also tested positive, my other nieces who don't live with her but met with her this week due to a birthday have just been tested but wont get results until tomorrow. If these test positive my family will need to test as we spent time with them a few days ago. Everyone testing positive are asymptomatic apart from one person which caused the others to get tested once she got a positive.

Should not be an issue for the youngsters, hope my wife does not get it though, 3 hole sin her right lung from Pneumonia means it could be really bad for her. She see's very few people, just her sister and mum this week.

Not good news. Hope it works out especially for your wife. There does seem to be an increase in youngsters testing positive, and we've had a couple of nurses forced to self isolate as they live with their brothers or sisters and their siblings have tested positive albeit asymptomatic. Is this perhaps (and I'm being a tad cynical) a sign of them finally being caught up with as they've seemingly been the ones that have flouted self distancing, especially in places like pubs and shops and when they congregated in parks and beaches straight after lockdown ended. Of course there is also a chance these are isolated cases, bearing in mind we've only had one Covid in ICU (and that patient was middle aged).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not good news. Hope it works out especially for your wife. There does seem to be an increase in youngsters testing positive, and we've had a couple of nurses forced to self isolate as they live with their brothers or sisters and their siblings have tested positive albeit asymptomatic. Is this perhaps (and I'm being a tad cynical) a sign of them finally being caught up with as they've seemingly been the ones that have flouted self distancing, especially in places like pubs and shops and when they congregated in parks and beaches straight after lockdown ended. Of course there is also a chance these are isolated cases, bearing in mind we've only had one Covid in ICU (and that patient was middle aged).
Cant speak for anyone else but I see groups of young people all over that have no intention of self distancing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I see news today of a mutated strain (D614G) which has been identified in Indonesia and is, allegedly, ten times more infectious but far less deadly than the original strain. D614G has apparently been circulating in Europe, which may go some way towards explaining the high number of infections and continuing decline in hospital admissions and deaths.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cant speak for anyone else but I see groups of young people all over that have no intention of self distancing.

It has seemed to be a problem for a while at least around here. Went to a leaving do in a pub on Friday and we had to queue to get in (even at 5.00pm). By the time we left about 7.00 there were loads (pulling several tables together and no intervention from staff - an irritation in itself) there were loads of youngsters outside, hugging and no social distancing. It's the same in the town centres, all hanging around in large groups and in stores

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It has seemed to be a problem for a while at least around here. Went to a leaving do in a pub on Friday and we had to queue to get in (even at 5.00pm). By the time we left about 7.00 there were loads (pulling several tables together and no intervention from staff - an irritation in itself) there were loads of youngsters outside, hugging and no social distancing. It's the same in the town centres, all hanging around in large groups and in stores

The younger generation who were mindful of all this back in March, if they even care now are perhaps paying more attention to the death rate than the number of infections. This sort of behaviour is absolutely no surprise.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah my niece is the sort to ignore social distancing. Since we have heard she knew on Tuesday, didn't bother testing till Wednesday evening and went to the birthday party knowing full well she likely had Covid. No thought of anyone else, her cousin, my wife's sister's daughter who also went to the party is devastated, her mum is also high risk due to a stroke at 42 and underlying issues, she already had her husband die at 34.

Really annoying that it's family as everyone knows the family history, there is a lot of us 25 in total and we are all very close and we have multiple high risks and ongoing problems and she knows all this, she is actually my wife's twin brothers daughter. We have worked so hard at social distancing and following the rules but the reality is it only needs one idiot to put people with high risk at risk.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Well, our area has had tightened restrictions put in place. No
Coronavirus: Visiting restrictions reintroduced in Glasgow area
  • people in the Glasgow City local authority area should not meet with people from other households in indoor household settings, whether in these areas or elsewhere. Members of different households can continue to meet outdoors, including in gardens, and in hospitality settings, provided all existing guidance on meeting outdoors is followed
  • if anyone living in this area is identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, they and all those in their household group should self-isolate for 14 days
  • indoor visits to hospitals and care homes will be limited to essential visits only to protect the most vulnerable. Outdoor visits to care homes are permitted by up to three individuals at a time from no more than two households, in line with current guidance
And we can't put the father-in-law into respite which menans that there is virtually no chance of us going away in the caravan this year. And my missus really needs a break.:(
And all because people are just being stupid and selfish.:mad: We're doing everything we can to avoid cross infection yet other people walk around as if it's gone.
I was coming back home from the post office today (that's a separate issue as it's now the only local Post Office left so everyone goes there) and the kids were coming out of school. Bunched together on the pavement walking home. No social distancing, no masks, nothing.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The official NHS advice said only go for a test if you have symptoms which I thought was a bit strange.
I phoned 119 and asked for a test, as a key worker I was booked in for a couple of hours later.

PS. Just had a missed call from NHS following up, they'll be phoning back.
This really is strange... I've been working at test sites, and anyone can have a test for any reason. To me, it feels like communication with the general public is providing a lot of mixed messages.

Another common fault is when you fill in details for a test online, it will eventually show you the closest place to go based on your postcode. Well from the Gatwick area last week, it was saying that the closest site was Swindon! This is despite there being at least 4 test sites within a 20 mile radius of Gatwick, including a site at Gatwick Airport itself.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on going on holiday at the moment? We usually get away 4 times a year (we're not rich - most of the trips are city breaks on Easyjet), so this is the longest we have ever gone without going somewhere... We both want to nip off somewhere we're allowed to go, whether in the UK or not, but we both think it isn't worth the bother in case of local lockdowns or quarantine on return.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on going on holiday at the moment? We usually get away 4 times a year (we're not rich - most of the trips are city breaks on Easyjet), so this is the longest we have ever gone without going somewhere... We both want to nip off somewhere we're allowed to go, whether in the UK or not, but we both think it isn't worth the bother in case of local lockdowns or quarantine on return.

I wouldn't risk it, just doesn't seem a logical and sensible option at the minute.