Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The government use a random number generator to decide which areas go down into lockdown. So they look at the numbers in your postcode and if they match you go into lockdown. As for why it is starting to spread again then it is either down to the fact that more people are mixing due to the recent relaxations, mostly driven by the need to get the economy up and running again, and mixing is how the virus spreads. Or 5G. Take your pick. And just a heads up to avoid any future disappointment, the government's measures do not mean the virus will not spread. If they wanted no spreading to happen we would all be in very severe lockdown.

And yes god forbid they lock down your area, if they do I suggest you join the increasing band of brave patriots and freedom fighters by not wearing a mask in Lidl and posting it on social media. True heroes.

As the Victoria state government has applied to Melbourne. A city of 5m with a curfew from 8pm to 5am, and very strict constraints on what you can do and where you can go the rest of the time. And I believe that Melbourne's numbers of infections and deaths are pretty consistent with what we are seeing across the UK at the moment as a whole.

And it is going to be in place for at least 4 weeks. They want to stamp on it hard.

D

Deleted member 21258

Are virus cases really rising, lots of conflicting data currently (first time this has been applicable, before almost all data has being pointing the same direction before).

A small take on it :-

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

Also bear in mind, Daily Hospitalisations continue to drop in the main, triage and 111 data also tending to indicating things not getting worse, false positives come out more with more testing, more testing done(so naturally more proper positives being picked up) and more testing being done in hotspots, so more positives being picked up than previously testing done..

ONS survey data says its increasing, but numbers and confidence levels aren't great with that.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Are virus cases really rising, lots of conflicting data currently (first time this has been applicable, before almost all data has being pointing the same direction before).

A small take on it :-

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

Also bear in mind, Daily Hospitalisations continue to drop in the main, triage and 111 data also tending to indicating things not getting worse, false positives come out more with more testing, more testing done(so naturally more proper positives being picked up) and more testing being done in hotspots, so more positives being picked up than previously testing done..

ONS survey data says its increasing, but numbers and confidence levels aren't great with that.

Isn't that what Trump says?

D

Deleted member 18588

As the Victoria state government has applied to Melbourne. A city of 5m with a curfew from 8pm to 5am, and very strict constraints on what you can do and where you can go the rest of the time. And I believe that Melbourne's numbers of infections and deaths are pretty consistent with what we are seeing across the UK at the moment as a whole.

And it is going to be in place for at least 4 weeks. They want to stamp on it hard.
As far as I can see the figures are nowhere near comparable.

Similar numbers of new cases but population of Melbourne is approx 5 million whereas UK population somewhere around 66 million.

For the two situations to be similar there would need to be around 10,000 new cases per day in UK.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Isn't that what Trump says?
Lol.
One of the most troubling ways in which c19 has affected me is that I find myself agreeing with (some) comments on the telegraph website and rolling my eyes at the guardianistas.... strange times indeed. If only I could just blindly follow my long held political convictions.
#edit - no slight intended to you HK, just reflecting on the general vibe in here.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As far as I can see the figures are nowhere near comparable.

Similar numbers of new cases but population of Melbourne is approx 5 million whereas UK population somewhere around 66 million.

For the two situations to be similar there would need to be around 10,000 new cases per day in UK.
I was making not actually making a pro rata comparison - simply noting that the numbers might seem relatively low in Melbourne but nonetheless the Victoria state government have decided to take a pretty absolutist approach to trying to stamp it out rather than accept a level of infection.

Not saying right or wrong - but I am not sure that our government would, or even could, take such an approach were our numbers to become relatively similar. A curfew?

D

Deleted member 18588

I was making not actually making a pro rata comparison - simply noting that the numbers might seem relatively low in Melbourne but nonetheless the Victoria state government have decided to take a pretty absolutist approach to trying to stamp it out rather than accept a level of infection.

Not saying right or wrong - but I am not sure that our government would, or even could, take such an approach were our numbers to become relatively similar. A curfew?
Strange though it may seem in view of the perception of Australia and its people but theirs is per the epitome of a "Nanny State".

Therefore, curfew etc; may seem more acceptable.

In any event the infection rate per capita in Melbourne cannot be described as relatively low.

As for the reaction in this country in the event of comparable figures we can only speculate on what action our Government might take and the public's reaction.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol.
One of the most troubling ways in which c19 has affected me is that I find myself agreeing with (some) comments on the telegraph website and rolling my eyes at the guardianistas.... strange times indeed. If only I could just blindly follow my long held political convictions.
#edit - no slight intended to you HK, just reflecting on the general vibe in here.

Have to agree. This pandemic is very much apolitical and I have found myself supporting views on both sides of the bench as well as supporting the views of the devolved governments on some issues and not on others. I can appreciate a well argued point from any party or political background, the only thing I do not appreciate, and this is across the board, is if someone tags some political point scoring on the end of their point, currently very unnecessary.

Same goes on here. I can find myself changing my opinion based on people putting across well thought out, well argued debate. I tend to ignore the one eyed views from those who have a clear, immovable, stance (no point if debating a point with someone who will not look at the view of the other side) but I have found myself agreeing with people who I do not always agree with.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think they missed the chance to do this back in March
I've mentioned before, our curfew for covid went way beyond even what Melbourne is now doing... No one was permitted outdoors any hour of the day
(if your job was essential like hospital, police etc you had to get a travel permit to go to/from work, other than these essential workers everyone else stays indoors, no work, no shopping, no exercise/dog walking etc)

It meant any household with a symptomatic case was easily identifiable & it was contained

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they missed the chance to do this back in March
I've mentioned before, our curfew for covid went way beyond even what Melbourne is now doing... No one was permitted outdoors any hour of the day
(if your job was essential like hospital, police etc you had to get a travel permit to go to/from work, other than these essential workers everyone else stays indoors, no work, no shopping, no exercise/dog walking etc)

It meant any household with a symptomatic case was easily identifiable & it was contained

Not sure that we could have even done it back in March. Thinking of the logistics of it, you would, in all likelihood, have had to have the army patrolling the streets of major towns and cities and I am just not sure how that would have played out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure that we could have even done it back in March. Thinking of the logistics of it, you would, in all likelihood, have had to have the army patrolling the streets of major towns and cities and I am just not sure how that would have played out.

We don't have an army but in effect this is exactly what happened. The police and civil defense forces patrolled the streets. Helicopters patrolled the coastlines/beaches and coast guard went looking for the fishermen further out to sea
It took 10 days just to establish a programme to reopen food shops and of course by then virtually the entire population had done the isolation time needed to ID cases

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

But the lockdown was pretty well respected when it occurred, with lower numbers of kids still at school and more people moving to home working than expected, so all the behavioural psychology saying it couldn't be stained past 4 or 5 weeks was wrong. No Army curfews were needed. Pity the Govt hadn't implemented that sooner, instead of prevaricating and issuing "advice" not to go to still open pubs that even the PM's father said he intended to ignore. The UK saw Covid coming with greater time available than most of continental Europe. A fast and hard response would have made getting out of it so much easier. That means a prompt lockdown, lots of testing and closing the borders. They didn't do any of those.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't have an army but in effect this is exactly what happened. The police and civil defense forces patrolled the streets. Helicopters patrolled the coastlines/beaches and coast guard went looking for the fishermen further out to sea
It took 10 days just to establish a programme to reopen food shops and of course by then virtually the entire population had done the isolation time needed to ID cases

From what I remember of the island, I am guessing that would be a slightly easier operation their than trying to do the same for the whole of the UK.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But the lockdown was pretty well respected when it occurred, with lower numbers of kids still at school and more people moving to home working than expected, so all the behavioural psychology saying it couldn't be stained past 4 or 5 weeks was wrong. No Army curfews were needed. Pity the Govt hadn't implemented that sooner, instead of prevaricating and issuing "advice" not to go to still open pubs that even the PM's father said he intended to ignore. The UK saw Covid coming with greater time available than most of continental Europe. A fast and hard response would have made getting out of it so much easier. That means a prompt lockdown, lots of testing and closing the borders. They didn't do any of those.

Agreed, my comment was in response to Slab and the response in Mauritius whereby you were not allowed out at all, total lockdown, travel permits needed, certain permitted shopping times/days etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
From what I remember of the island, I am guessing that would be a slightly easier operation their than trying to do the same for the whole of the UK.

I thought so too (being a wee place an all that) But I did wonder that as the UK is 100 times bigger (guess) it also has 100 times the resources etc, so in that respect shouldn't it be just the same :unsure:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought so too (being a wee place an all that) But I did wonder that as the UK is 100 times bigger (guess) it also has 100 times the resources etc, so in that respect shouldn't it be just the same :unsure:

Not sure, not so sure how these things scale up/down based on resources available.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Government should have banned all foreign holidays that were booked this year. We should have kept everyone out (and in) until the end of this year minimum.