Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have permanent travel insurance through our bank...and I have checked and such as lockdowns either at the holiday location or at the my home that prevent me travelling look to be covered. The only circumstance that we would go would be if...well actually I can't think of any circumstance...because 'community virus virtually eliminated' isn't going to happen. I guess the reason the girls haven't yet had that conversation is that we live in hope...
It's the hope that kills you.......I totally understand. We should have been going to Holland this saturday for a week. We put off cancelling even though we knew it was the right thing to do. In the end we forced the issue accomodation wise and we got lucky in that our flight was cancelled by the airline. I'm pleased we did it. We could ulitmately have found another flight, we could have got there, but I would not have been relaxed and that is the whole point of the holiday. At some point you may need to be the bad guy and point out the inevitable.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Copied from the BBC News website.

_113700490_optimised-second_wave_europe29jul-nc.png

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We recently flew to Denmark but on a chartered flight, when we went to board the Danish pilots said we needn’t where masks, I was amazed at the difference in Denmark, shops , pubs, restaurants all open no social distancing and packed out with tourists.

It felt strange experiencing normality after months of lockdown.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We recently flew to Denmark but on a chartered flight, when we went to board the Danish pilots said we needn’t where masks, I was amazed at the difference in Denmark, shops , pubs, restaurants all open no social distancing and packed out with tourists.

That sounds like scifi film where the underclass get to see the promised land where the wealthy live. I'm feeling very envious of Denmark right now.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Would be interested in how Italy are managing things. As a country hit very hard early, so far they seem to be avoiding the increases being seen elsewhere

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
News report by BBC calling for the extension of the summer COVIDO free school meals scheme.

Pity the mother claiming she could not afford a midday meal for her 10 year old son was about 114 kg (18st) and wearing an Apple watch!! Priorities :mad:j

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Spanish PM, Sánchez, has asked parliament to preauthorise lockdown just in case it hits the trigger point Sometime in August. It will save about 4 days of wrangling.

Visit site
Would be interested in how Italy are managing things. As a country hit very hard early, so far they seem to be avoiding the increases being seen elsewhere

Can't comment on the rest of the country - but in Lombardy (and Bergamo where i am) where things were worst - everything is slowly opening up but in general, cautiously
  • I think in general there is greater awareness and compliance with general simple measures
  • Wear a mask when mask indoors (outside your house restaurants/bars/cafes and shops) and on transport
  • General social distance outside - without masks
  • No more than that - I think its expected that compliance would be greater - nearly everyone in Bergamo has lost a family member or someone well-known to them
At a national level - thee political infighting about how the crisis was mismanaged is well underway - just like everywhere else

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I'm due to go there in October on business and I really don't know how to feel about it. I suppose if the numbers are still low then I'll be as safe as I could be. But from the evidence in some countries of the virus numbers rising, a lot clustered around places where people are gathering such as restaurants and pubs/bars, I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't comment on the rest of the country - but in Lombardy (and Bergamo where i am) where things were worst - everything is slowly opening up but in general, cautiously
  • I think in general there is greater awareness and compliance with general simple measures
  • Wear a mask when mask indoors (outside your house restaurants/bars/cafes and shops) and on transport
  • General social distance outside - without masks
  • No more than that - I think its expected that compliance would be greater - nearly everyone in Bergamo has lost a family member or someone well-known to them
At a national level - thee political infighting about how the crisis was mismanaged is well underway - just like everywhere else
Do you think it has scarred Italians and so they are prepared to follow the guidelines quite strictly still? In other countries people have looked for a release from lockdown and a lowering of the guard has happened.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I
I hope nobody would be stupid enough to get infected deliberately with what we now know about the complications and long lasting effects of infection even in young fit people. But we know that (some) people are stupid.
Isn’t the problem that at the start the often repeated manta was that young people were safe from it?
I still hear many young people claiming that.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn’t the problem that at the start the often repeated manta was that young people were safe from it?
I still hear many young people claiming that.

Young people certainly have a better set of outcomes, but the original idea that it was essentially innocuous to younger people is now debunked. There have been deaths and people who have suffered complications of disease like chronic lung damage or encephalitis. They also appear to be more likely to be asymptomatic carriers rather than cases. Evidence about whether they are less likely to shed virus is unclear, probably the case for smaller children, not so clear for teenagers and above.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Having cancelled our two trips abroad this year due to the situation we decided to go on a short break to St Andrews, what a mistake that was, the place was absolutely heaving, hardly any social distancing and restaurants / coffee shops rammed.
Normally loads to do with kids, but hardly anything on, including at hotel, which was a bit misleading when we booked.
Mostly our own fault and £1500 for the pleasure.
Think twice if going away until more restrictions are lifted would be my advice.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm due to go there in October on business and I really don't know how to feel about it. I suppose if the numbers are still low then I'll be as safe as I could be. But from the evidence in some countries of the virus numbers rising, a lot clustered around places where people are gathering such as restaurants and pubs/bars, I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet.

I was also on business and wouldn’t have gone otherwise, we were in the north of Denmark where they have had very few cases there. I’ve been to Denmark at least a dozen times and this trip was the busiest I’ve seen it, I never went in a pub or restaurant mainly because there were so many tourists.

It was a bit surreal being there.
Love the Danes though very laid back,

Have a safe trip ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Aye - there are some rather weird religious types with rather weird and misguided views - just as there are weird atheists and agnostics with their own weird and misguided views on the matter of wearing a mask. But they amount to the same thing.

I agree but when either side starts to affect the safety and health of others, I draw the line.

Visit site
Do you think it has scarred Italians and so they are prepared to follow the guidelines quite strictly still? In other countries people have looked for a release from lockdown and a lowering of the guard has happened.
  • My general feeling is that compliance is greater if people have been genuinely, personally affected - even if its a family member or friend being positive/ill or a more distant/elderly relative dying
  • In Bergamo thats just about everyone - ourselves included
  • Obvious at the start it looked as if it may be a genuine catastrophe here - so folk complied with all conditions - the lass never left the house for 10 weeks
  • Then, moving forward as things opened up compliance remained high - in part as Italy is a fairly regulated, society with strict police powers etc
  • Also Bergamo is a conservative region, and in general folk are law abiding, so that helps
  • Finally Tourism is very important so showing that it is relatively safe here is essential to everyone
So yes - Bergamascan's at least were scarred to some extent - in saying that most folk i see are smiling, life moves on
Its nothing compared to the chaos and sadness of the 40s with the truly horrendous behaviour of the Germans and Italian fascist squads on the civilian population - they still remember that