Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

Well said Phil.

Lifting a restriction, or most/all of them isn’t irreversible. On a personal level, we had this conversation earlier today. I don’t want 5 years of restriction. Taking 5 off what few healthy years I might have before I start dribbling and doddering isn’t for me. I’m sensible enough to manage my own risks whilst also still having an eye on my greater responsibility to society.
He’s wrong when he says we have to start living it just like we do with the flu each year!! It’s not like the flu, it’s a lot worse and has consequences we don’t yet fully understand.

I wholeheartedly agree we need to try to lift restrictions, but likening it, almost down playing it in comparing it to flu is dangerous.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He’s wrong when he says we have to start living it just like we do with the flu each year!! It’s not like the flu, it’s a lot worse and has consequences we don’t yet fully understand.

I wholeheartedly agree we need to try to lift restrictions, but likening it, almost down playing it in comparing it to flu is dangerous.

It’s not like the flu, and Phil didn’t say it’s like the flu, he said live with it like we do with the flu. Let’s come at it from a different tangent. What do we need to do to live with it? To a large extent, we just have to get on with living. We can adopt some personal measures if we see fit. We can accept that some things might be imposed upon us. Isn’t that living with it, being flexible to managing life with it?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well said Phil.

Lifting a restriction, or most/all of them isn’t irreversible. On a personal level, we had this conversation earlier today. I don’t want 5 years of restriction. Taking 5 off what few healthy years I might have before I start dribbling and doddering isn’t for me. I’m sensible enough to manage my own risks whilst also still having an eye on my greater responsibility to society.
With respect no one is suggesting five years of restrictions, all that some are saying is we wait for the time when things become more stable. Current restrictions in the UK are minimal and don't really restrict people from having a social life and in no way are taking your life away from you.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s not like the flu, and Phil didn’t say it’s like the flu, he said live with it like we do with the flu. Let’s come at it from a different tangent. What do we need to do to live with it? To a large extent, we just have to get on with living. We can adopt some personal measures if we see fit. We can accept that some things might be imposed upon us. Isn’t that living with it, being flexible to managing life with it?
But it might be about us? We, as a society may have to take precautions for the foreseeable future because the impact covid may have on the NHS in the future.

Joe Average does nothing when living with flu, but they might have to think about their behaviour if they catch covid (even if they feel it’s no worse than the flu). How they could still spread it, simply saying you can wear a mask if you want doesn’t take in to account the ignorant who maybe positive and happy to go on with their “normal” life without thinking about the consequences of who they could pass it on to and the damage it could do.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
With respect no one is suggesting five years of restrictions, all that some are saying is we wait for the time when things become more stable. Current restrictions in the UK are minimal and don't really restrict people from having a social life and in no way are taking your life away from you.

Ok, for the hair splitters, I’ll make it simple. No more restrictions. I’ll continue to wear a mask. I’ll continue to avoid busy, indoor venues. And I’ll lift my, self-imposed restrictions when I’m comfortable with things. I’ll manage my risks.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've lived 73 years and never had the Flu, even though there have been no masks or social distancing for 71 of those years. I'm pretty sure if I had lived the same lifestyle with Covid prevalent it would be a different story. Also, we are often reminded that Covid is a much nastier virus than Flu so living with it is different.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've lived 73 years and never had the Flu, even though there have been no masks or social distancing for 71 of those years. I'm pretty sure if I had lived the same lifestyle with Covid prevalent it would be a different story. Also, we are often reminded that Covid is a much nastier virus than Flu.

And if Covid had been around you’d have managed the risk. See post 24,713

D

Deleted member 15344

When is that time then ?

And the current restrictions are still having dramatic effects on multiple people

But if they are that minimal what extra affect will it have from removing them then ?

But if you are uncomfortable with that you can still follow those restrictions as you wish

we have now 8 weeks until full restrictions will be lifted - that’s plenty of time to keep assessing the situation as we go along

We need to recover as country mentally and financially- if you aren’t happy with that you can continue to lock yourself away and isolate when needed , use a mask etc

The removal of restrictions will be looked at to cover everyone in the UK - you need to look at others as well in this situation

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe another way of looking at it is not telling those at risk or vulnerable to lock themselves away and we tell anyone who is positive to go home and lock themselves away instead.

As Former chairman of the UK's vaccine task force, Dr Clive Dix, said:

"What we should do is what we should do with any other infectious diseases. When it breaks out, say to people if you feel you have got the symptoms, go home stay at home until you feel better," he said.
"We do that with every other infectious disease and that's what this one will be like.
"It won't by then be a pandemic and a disease causing a huge amount of deaths.
"It will be a virus circulating in our community as many others do."

Surely legislation could be brought in to do this?

Got to be better than the “I’m alright jack” some are advocating!

D

Deleted member 16999

I think relaxing the covid 19 regulations is being pushed too early in an attempt to cover up/bury bad news.
Please delete if too political.
I disagree, Countries all over Europe are reviewing and relaxing their rules as well.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe another way of looking at it is not telling those at risk or vulnerable to lock themselves away and we tell anyone who is positive to go home and lock themselves away instead.
Unfortunately, 'at risk or vulnerable' means those who are likely to need to be hospitalised or/and die! So special treatment is needed for them, but for the 'healthy until infected' the above seems a reasonable approach.

"What we should do is what we should do with any other infectious diseases. When it breaks out, say to people if you feel you have got the symptoms, go home stay at home until you feel better," he said.
"We do that with every other infectious disease and that's what this one will be like.

Note that while he states 'should do with other...', that's not what happens. And it's not done because, imo, it's impossible to implement! Policing it properly would be impossible - as has been the case for Covid.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you honestly expect me to answer that! The only answer can be ' When the time is right' and hopefully that won't be too far away if we're sensible but not some arbitrary date plucked out the air.

And what if they have decided they believe that end of March is the right time for all restrictions and next week is the right time for removing mandatory masks ?

Do you think that’s what they have done “plucked out of the air”

Is there not just the slight chance they have spoken to the medical experts and that’s the end date they are working towards ?

millions have made a lot of sacrifices to protect the vunerable people in the UK for the last two years - at some point they need to allowed to live their lives again

D

Deleted member 16999

Unfortunately, 'at risk or vulnerable' means those who are likely to need to be hospitalised or/and die! So special treatment is needed for them, but for the 'healthy until infected' the above seems a reasonable approach.

Note that while he states 'should do with other...', that's not what happens. And it's not done because, imo, it's impossible to implement! Policing it properly would be impossible - as has been the case for Covid.
So do nothing then? I’d suggest trying something is better than doing nothing.

If it stays as a notifiable disease then there is a starting point.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Got to be better than the “I’m alright jack” some are advocating!

Why not say both things? I don’t want to see anymore “you must do’s…” but I’d be happy with “should consider,” or “we advise…” Equally, make it a notifiable disease with a mandatory isolation requirement.

A number of things have changed. It isn’t as vicious as it was 22 months ago. A lot of people have been vaccinated. Time to wind things down, which is what’s happening.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why not say both things? I don’t want to see anymore “you must do’s…” but I’d be happy with “should consider,” or “we advise…” Equally, make it a notifiable disease with a mandatory isolation requirement.

A number of things have changed. It isn’t as vicious as it was 22 months ago. A lot of people have been vaccinated. Time to wind things down, which is what’s happening.
And I’ve said I agree with the winding down, just not stopping and “learning to live with it” or “getting back to normal” as some appear to be advocating, we don’t know what the new normal is, its not even about the vulnerable either, they probably take precautions for their illness’s as a matter of fact, it’s about protecting the healthy that think they are invincible.

The new normal could be exactly as you’ve put for the notifiable diseases, but you could bet some would not be happy with that.