Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The added complexity is that Parliament insists they have their say on any future change to the guidance. Given their reticence shown during the previous debate the PM/Cabinet may be between a rock and a hard place with changing scientific opinions versus MP's reluctance to be agile.
That sounds dangerously like democracy at work ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Up to 6pm last night there have been 56000 Omicron cases in total

In the last 24 hrs, there have been 90 ,000 cases of Covid.

This is not the first 90000 in 24 hrs of Covid that we have had.

I have not heard any mention of Delta for days. Yet it is clearly Delta that is spreading rapidly. Omicron can spread rapidly , I know, but the fact is ,most infections are Delta.
So the reason for more positives is not the rapid onslaught of Omicron, but slackening of preventive measures by individuals thus allowing Delta to flourish.
The press emphasise as usual. ( Omicron this, Omicron that) What I am wondering is why the Powers do the same. .?
Maybe to try to get people to boost rather than behave?
Also, expecting a take off of Omicron, knowing the futility of asking compliance of Xmas restrictions. And fearing an overtake of Delta after Xmas.

It must be a nightmare trying to get on top of winter Covid. It's known where "the water "is but the Powers know" the horses aren't drinking"

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have not heard any mention of Delta for days. Yet it is clearly Delta that is spreading rapidly. Omicron can spread rapidly , I know, but the fact is ,most infections are Delta.
So the reason for more positives is not the rapid onslaught of Omicron, but slackening of preventive measures by individuals thus allowing Delta to flourish.
The press emphasise as usual. ( Omicron this, Omicron that) What I am wondering is why the Powers do the same. .?
Also, expecting a take off of Omicron, knowing the futility of asking compliance of Xmas restrictions. And fearing an overtake of Delta after Xmas.

It must be a nightmare trying to get on top of winter Covid. It's known where "the water "is but the Powers know" the horses aren't drinking"

Really? Any evidence for that?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Trying my hardest not to talk politics, but given the grief Boris has had for his previous reluctance to act, I am reading what is going on at the moment as a positive. I actually think if Omicron was as bad as the press would have us believe we’d have restrictions by now.

I hope, for the first time in my life (according to the wife) I’m actually right about something.

Got to happen at least once, surely?!

When you married her, obviously... :whistle:

Go on, tell her that, I dare ya. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Omicron appears to be particularly prevalent in London.
Does it really matter which version is likely to be caught?
I don't really understand your reasoning re the bit in bold, considering the bit in italics!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How’s your day gone Tash.

Well make your own mind up.

Son came home from a 36 hour night/day shift staying out overnight delivering vaccines etc. Saturday and Sunday before going back to work he had LFT tests, all negative. Last night ( on the phone) he sounded rough. Today he skipped into the house telling Missis T he was going into Notts for Lunch with two pals. Missis T insisted he did a LFT. Me I disappeared into the garage to get me trolley to give it a good clean. I had cancelled golf today as Missis T has a big consultation at hospital tomorrow so I did not Fancy mixing. Lo and behold Sons test was massively positive. ?????
Me and Missis T are negative but it has screwed up Christmas big style. No parents Boxing Day, no in-laws Xmas day. Daughters bogged off coz she cannot see her kids for 10 days and neither can we. Ave done shopping for me mum at Tesco today and she wanted to come along. Am fed up of telling her what’s out there.
For the second Christmas running son has brought COVID home for a pressie via his Job as a class one lorry driver. If he had been on the beer with lads maybe I could let off steam.
I was not in the best of moods whilst in Tesco and seeing folk without masks was winding me up. There was a lovely lady on the door at Tesco giving out quality street sweets. Get your hand in here and grab one. ???
I bumped into an old pal from work “ Miner” that’s his nickname. He and his mIssis were on about how some of his friends quite frankly have had enough and doing what they want and basically have said “ Fork it”.
I bumped into me brother at Tesco. His son developed COVID 2 days ago. It’s has stopped me parents going to his Xmas day. His son and partner have decided to isolate together so me bro was doing all his shopping so he could cook for his partner Xmas day at his partners house. ???
Bottom line, I am majorly bogged off. Missis Ts dad has serious dementia and will not see another Christmas at anyones house. Ours would of been his last Christmas and the fickle hand of fate has said that’s not happening and yet some folk don’t give a toss.
On a positive me bloody trolley is clean. Just won’t see a course til 2022 ?

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Son came home from a 36 hour night/day shift staying out overnight delivering vaccines etc. Saturday and Sunday before going back to work he had LFT tests, all negative. Last night ( on the phone) he sounded rough. Today he skipped into the house telling Missis T he was going into Notts for Lunch with two pals. Missis T insisted he did a LFT. Me I disappeared into the garage to get me trolley to give it a good clean. I had cancelled golf today as Missis T has a big consultation at hospital tomorrow so I did not Fancy mixing. Lo and behold Sons test was massively positive. ?????
Me and Missis T are negative but it has screwed up Christmas big style. No parents Boxing Day, no in-laws Xmas day. Daughters bogged off coz she cannot see her kids for 10 days and neither can we. Ave done shopping for me mum at Tesco today and she wanted to come along. Am fed up of telling her what’s out there.
For the second Christmas running son has brought COVID home for a pressie via his Job as a class one lorry driver. If he had been on the beer with lads maybe I could let off steam.
I was not in the best of moods whilst in Tesco and seeing folk without mask was winding me up. There was a lovely lady on the door at Tesco giving out quality street sweets. Get your hand in here and grab one. ???
I bumped into an old pal from work “ Miner” that’s his nickname. He and his mIssis were on about how some of his friends quite frankly have had enough and doing what they want and basically have said “ Fork it”.
I bumped into me brother at Tesco. His son developed COVID 2 days ago. It’s has stopped me parents going to his Xmas day. His son and partner have decided to isolate together so me bro was doing all his shopping so he could cook for his partner Xmas day at his partners house. ???
Bottom line, I am majorly bogged off. Missis Ts dad has serious dementia and will not see another Christmas at anyones house. Ours would of been his last Christmas and the fickle hand of fate has said that’s not happening and yet some folk don’t give a toss.

Good lord, Tashy, the Fates are not being good to you, to put it mildly.
I really hope things get better for you and yours, best wishes to you.
From the son and grandson of a miner.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I was not in the best of moods whilst in Tesco and seeing folk without mask was winding me up. There was a lovely lady on the door at Tesco giving out quality street sweets. Get your hand in here and grab one. ???
Time to open the Barolo!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Time to open the Barolo!

Am sure sometimes in life one could write a flippin book. missis T has just been on the phone for the last 10 mins talking her dad out of the dementia fog. She is now internet shopting ?
that Barolo is getting hammered Xmas day. ??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Coronavirus,data,co.uk gives daily figures for Covid cases

UK Health security agency
Omicron Daily Overview for 21 December gives Omicron figures

Found by google

Well I wanted you to direct me to where google told you there was a majority of delta, because it is telling the rest of us something else, hence my question.

The Omicron daily update today shows 56,041 Omicron positive tests in England, which is very likely to be a considerable underestimate, out of 90,629 total positive tests.

My old 'O' level in maths tells me that even if all the non-Omicron were Delta (some 34,600), that is not a majority, aka most, for Delta.

Did you mean most clinically symptomatic cases, or most hospitalisations were Delta? If so, that is different, but I couldn't find that data.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I wanted you to direct me to where google told you there was a majority of delta, because it is telling the rest of us something else, hence my question.

The Omicron daily update today shows 56,041 Omicron positive tests in England, which is very likely to be a considerable underestimate, out of 90,629 total positive tests.

My old 'O' level in maths tells me that even if all the non-Omicron were Delta (some 34,600), that is not a majority, aka most, for Delta.

Did you mean most clinically symptomatic cases, or most hospitalisations were Delta? If so, that is different, but I couldn't find that data.
Ethan,
Isn't the 56041 the 'total to date' value!
The 'for day' value of 14791 is in the next column (Change from previous report).
https://assets.publishing.service.g...043098/20211221_OS_Daily_Omicron_Overview.pdf

Edit!
The 56041 is, indeed, the daily value! The 14791 value is change (increase) of previous day's numbers.
Doh!

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am sure sometimes in life one could write a flippin book. missis T has just been on the phone for the last 10 mins talking her dad out of the dementia fog. She is now internet shopting ?
that Barolo is getting hammered Xmas day. ??

Bloody Hell Tashy you've got more willpower than I'll ever have. If I'd had your day that Barolo would've been gone long by now let alone thinking it would still be there by Xmas Day. Keep your chin up. (y)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I wonder whether the new variant is managing to escape the LFT tests? I have a couple of friends who are presently isolating, they had 3-4 negative LFT's but a PCR came back as positive, same for both of them. The odd thing though is that despite both variants being highly transmittable only one person in each household as got it (4 in one household and 6 in another), they are 6 days in and you'd have thought the others would have got it as well!!

I was wondering this too. A couple of friends of mine have had a cough & sore throat, both testing negative with LFT’s but tested positive on PCR. Both are triple jabbed too.

My wife works at the local hospital. Two of her colleagues partners tested positive, but her colleagues tested negative on LFT, only to test positive on PCR a week later. The annoying thing is that they were both working the whole week. Which means there’s a pretty good chance my wife is going to catch it, if she hasn’t already.