Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just switched on the radio to hear an interview with a scientist of some description (didn’t catch his name or what his background is) and his view was that it was the correct call to have held back on rushing into new restrictions. According to the data in England, as of late last week the daily cases has started to flatten and it maybe that we have peaked. The suggestion that the boosters plus the change in behaviour in the run up to Christmas was all having an affect. Interesting to see what happens over the Christmas period as people’s behaviour probably relaxes having managed to make it to the festive period (relatively) unscathed. Anyway, could be a bit of brighter news.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Well I wanted you to direct me to where google told you there was a majority of delta, because it is telling the rest of us something else, hence my question.

The Omicron daily update today shows 56,041 Omicron positive tests in England, which is very likely to be a considerable underestimate, out of 90,629 total positive tests.

My old 'O' level in maths tells me that even if all the non-Omicron were Delta (some 34,600), that is not a majority, aka most, for Delta.

Did you mean most clinically symptomatic cases, or most hospitalisations were Delta? If so, that is different, but I couldn't find that data.

Your maths is ok but you are applying it wrongly.?

TOTAL Omicron infections to date, I.e all there have been in England since it arrived. 56000 odd

90000 Covid infections yesterday alone, and the day before, and 70000 the day before that etc.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Omicron appears to be particularly prevalent in London.
Does it really matter which version is likely to be caught?
I don't really understand your reasoning re the bit in bold, considering the bit in italics!

No, it doesn't matter which variant, ( the point I was trying to make,)
Re the bit in bold, maybe I didn't write it too clear. It was a continuation of speculating what the Powers might be thinking ( I.e not my thinking))
To clarify- Are they thinking that soon after Xmas. Omicron might really take over as the fastest infecting strain, so why not put the emphasis on Omicron now, it being newish, topical threat? Seems to be what the Press want to talk about. Delta is old news?

I am hoping that Omicron might not be as bad as it is presently portrayed.
( note hope, not believe)
But in calling for the fight against it, "the new threat", the boosters uptake will also deal with Delta?

We shall see.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No, it doesn't matter which variant, ( the point I was trying to make,)
Re the bit in bold, maybe I didn't write it too clear. It was a continuation of speculating what the Powers might be thinking ( I.e not my thinking))
To clarify- Are they thinking that soon after Xmas. Omicron might really take over as the fastest infecting strain, so why not put the emphasis on Omicron now, it being newish, topical threat? Seems to be what the Press want to talk about. Delta is old news?

I am hoping that Omicron might not be as bad as it is presently portrayed.
( note hope, not believe)
But in calling for the fight against it, "the new threat", the boosters uptake will also deal with Delta?

We shall see.
Speculation indeed!
I trust you are preparing for it being worse!
Otherwise something of a waste of time and typing!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Speculation indeed!
I trust you are preparing for it being worse!
Otherwise something of a waste of time and typing!

Of course, glass half empty, that's me re Covid. And you?

In final analysis, all our typings here may be a waste. On the other hand, some of us may be entertained, and thankfully, some posts are enlightening.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I wanted you to direct me to where google told you there was a majority of delta, because it is telling the rest of us something else, hence my question.

The Omicron daily update today shows 56,041 Omicron positive tests in England, which is very likely to be a considerable underestimate, out of 90,629 total positive tests.

My old 'O' level in maths tells me that even if all the non-Omicron were Delta (some 34,600), that is not a majority, aka most, for Delta.

Did you mean most clinically symptomatic cases, or most hospitalisations were Delta? If so, that is different, but I couldn't find that data.
Edit to my previous reply....And apologies for doubting you/your numbers!

Ethan,
Isn't the 56041 the 'total to date' value!
The 'for day' value of 14791 is in the next column (Change from previous report).
https://assets.publishing.service.g...043098/20211221_OS_Daily_Omicron_Overview.pdf

Edit!
The 56041 is, indeed, the daily value! The 14791 value is change cf previous day's numbers.
Doh!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your maths is ok but you are applying it wrongly.?

TOTAL Omicron infections to date, I.e all there have been in England since it arrived. 56000 odd

90000 Covid infections yesterday alone, and the day before, and 70000 the day before that etc.
No! Ethan's numbers were correct! My interpretation of the numbers was wrong!
And you either made the same mistake as me, or (foolishly) accepted my misinterpretation!
See my post above!

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
LFT's are at best 50% accurate once symptoms surface. Too many people with Omicron symptoms are relying on LFT's as gospel rather than taking an extra 30 minutes and getting a PCR, I include my own family in that too. Which has made decisions very tough. It's clear people are turning a blind eye and ignoring symptons to enjoy Christmas. That's understandable to a degree as so many are boosted. The crap will hit the fan in mid January numbers wise though.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
LFT's are at best 50% accurate once symptoms surface. Too many people with Omicron symptoms are relying on LFT's as gospel rather than taking an extra 30 minutes and getting a PCR, I include my own family in that too. Which has made decisions very tough. It's clear people are turning a blind eye and ignoring symptons to enjoy Christmas. That's understandable to a degree as so many are boosted. The crap will hit the fan in mid January numbers wise though.

As with many things since this all started it isn't always easy to be clear. Wonder if this may further confuse?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59749447

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10 day isolation is now cut to 7 assuming no symptoms and negative LFT’s on days 6 & 7.

The key part tho Only if vaccinated ...otherwise 10 days

Really subtly introducing obstacles for those without the vaccine ... It does work aswell..someone I work with (infact 2 of them) didn't want it but soon as it would stop their holidays ..... Bamn down they went

Another one won't get the booster until he wants to travel again ..

So all these little bits do work

We don't have to have the vaccine at work but they have (rightly imo) changed the policy so if you don't have it and have to isolate you only get 10 days sick pay then your on statutory .. if you can't have it due to medical reasons you are paid

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The key part tho Only if vaccinated ...otherwise 10 days

Nope, it’s regardless of vaccination status. The only time you are to complete the full 10 days is if you aren’t double jabbed and if you are a close contact of a positive case. If you are unvaxxed and tested positive you can get out after 7 days like anyone else.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, it’s regardless of vaccination status. The only time you are to complete the full 10 days is if you aren’t double jabbed and if you are a close contact of a positive case. If you are unvaxxed and tested positive you can get out after 7 days like anyone else.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ut-to-seven-days-for-jabbed-people-in-england

From Tuesday, new guidance will enable the 10-day self-isolation period for vaccinated people in England who have tested positive for coronavirus to be reduced by three days if they get the all-clear from lateral flow tests.

There is no change to the guidance for unvaccinated positive cases, or unvaccinated contacts of positive cases, who are still required to self-isolate for the 10 full days after their date of exposure to the virus.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ut-to-seven-days-for-jabbed-people-in-england

From Tuesday, new guidance will enable the 10-day self-isolation period for vaccinated people in England who have tested positive for coronavirus to be reduced by three days if they get the all-clear from lateral flow tests.

There is no change to the guidance for unvaccinated positive cases, or unvaccinated contacts of positive cases, who are still required to self-isolate for the 10 full days after their date of exposure to the virus.

I guess another example of the mixed messaging as the BBC completely contradicts that with their story…..

“The new guidance can be used by people who are isolating after testing positive for Covid, regardless of their vaccination status.

But those who are not double-jabbed will still have to isolate for the full 10 days if they are a close contact of a positive case, as is currently the case.”

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess another example of the mixed messaging as the BBC completely contradicts that with their story…..

“The new guidance can be used by people who are isolating after testing positive for Covid, regardless of their vaccination status.

But those who are not double-jabbed will still have to isolate for the full 10 days if they are a close contact of a positive case, as is currently the case.”

Poor from the BBC, unless the guardian and "I" are printing it wrong but either way people need to print this 100% correct otherwise it's blooming pointless