Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Visit site
No issue with getting back to Italy from the UK? I know we are on the naughty list with quite a few countries.

Enjoy your Christmas in Scotland, assuming you are staying there ?

I don't think Italy will follow suit - but I'm a resident so hopefully I can get back :cool:
Yes staying in Edinburgh to see my aged father - may get some golf in :p

All my best wishes to you and yours
I played yesterday with a local Italian couple whose son & family were coming home here per Natale - they live in Heddon-on-the wall
Apparently they find it difficult to understand their grand-daughters english :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think Italy will follow suit - but I'm a resident so hopefully I can get back :cool:
Yes staying in Edinburgh to see my aged father - may get some golf in :p

All my best wishes to you and yours
I played yesterday with a local Italian couple whose son & family were coming home here per Natale - they live in Heddon-on-the wall
Apparently they find it difficult to understand their grand-daughters english :)
Heddon on the Wall is a nice Northumbrian village. In the Tyne valley, prettiest part of the county, old stone houses, right next to Close House ?. I can understand why they would struggle with the accent though ?

Where would you play around Edinburgh? I've played Braid Hills, a smashing council run course, and Swanston, by the dry ski slope to the south. Neither top rated but both very enjoyable.

My wife went up to Edinburgh with my daughter last week. Much quieter than usual and nicer for it, the same applies to all popular cities imo. You can enjoy it without the tourists ?.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks ?. Both her sister and brother-in-law had positive LFT’s but negative PCR’s, however even if it does come back negative we will still probably not be going; her mate’s Mum, who must be at least in her mid 80’s with underlying health issues will be there, it just doesn’t seem the responsible thing to do if she’s had a positive test of any sort this close. In some respects a positive PCR would be a better outcome, as strange as that may seem.

Her mate phoned to check on her this afternoon, & Mrs BiM said that we probably wouldn't be coming even if the PCR was negative because of her Mum & the risk involved. Her mate was very grateful; she was obviously concerned about her Mum, but didn't want to upset us by asking us not to come.

Responsible thing done this evening; Premier Inn booking cancelled.

Visit site
Heddon on the Wall is a nice Northumbrian village. In the Tyne valley, prettiest part of the county, old stone houses, right next to Close House ?. I can understand why they would struggle with the accent though ?

Where would you play around Edinburgh? I've played Braid Hills, a smashing council run course, and Swanston, by the dry ski slope to the south. Neither top rated but both very enjoyable.

My wife went up to Edinburgh with my daughter last week. Much quieter than usual and nicer for it, the same applies to all popular cities imo. You can enjoy it without the tourists ?.

Visit site
Oh - they did say how beautiful Heddon was - and I know that myself

I'm not sure where I could play - I've played Braid hills and will be staying nearby
Swanston I know - never played but its probably easier for me to play Liberton or Mortonhall (which again I've never played) - they are a tad closer and I won't have a car
I'll just see where I am on Wednesday night after which hopefully i can emerge from isolation

Its non-essential but I do have a spare set of clubs at my fathers home - plus access to all of my brothers ProV1xxxxx's :p

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How long does it take the powers to make a decision on what measures need putting in place. We still don't seem to know the actual effects of Omicron, how long does it take to understand how it affects people!

I'm normally pretty laid back about these things but I'm now feeling absolutely nauseous about the whole situation.

D-S

Visit site
Initial data from London, the epicentre of Omicron, looking ‘gently encouraging’ - see all the usual respected sources on Twitter who’ve been crunching the numbers.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
How long does it take the powers to make a decision on what measures need putting in place. We still don't seem to know the actual effects of Omicron, how long does it take to understand how it affects people!

I'm normally pretty laid back about these things but I'm now feeling absolutely nauseous about the whole situation.

It's the" need putting into place "thing. So many think the need shouldn't affect Xmas !
I think it is thought that any restrictions affecting family meet ups will not be adhered to. So, make it unlawful to do so , and what will happen?
Even on here that sentiment has been expressed, I think.

Of course, it is easy to say something should be done , like KS says, but we don't hear him say what, do we? -( just to add balance).

Personally, I'm going to act as if there were more of a lockdown, but I'm glad I don't have to tell the Country what to do.

As for Omicron effects. There is a longer timeline to assess data re deaths etc.
We know how many deaths so far, and so far, not the same rate as Delta it seems. But those words....so far.... ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Pretty strange in the north of Devon. Just been through several weeks of the highest rates in the country and now the infection rates are dropping like a stone.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And I thought Italy was bureaucratic hell ;)

Yes numbers climbing here in Italy as well - but folk don't seem to concerned - not seeing (yet) any public pronouncements we saw recently from the French and German camps
What I do see is a generally greater amount of folk wearing masks outdoors than it seemed a few weeks ago
Spoke to my Italian friend yesterday, she said exactly the same. Everyone is wearing masks and don’t have a problem doing it. Hope alls well me man

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty strange in the north of Devon. Just been through several weeks of the highest rates in the country and now the infection rates are dropping like a stone.

N Devon is pretty low population so perhaps it reached a 'saturation ' point where those likely to be infected caught it so now there's few candidates/unvaccinated.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
N Devon is pretty low population so perhaps it reached a 'saturation ' point where those likely to be infected caught it so now there's few candidates/unvaccinated.

You get sub-populations like this, and there is always a degree of chance as to whether that place get infected or not. One superspreader who coughs in the newsagent while passing through the village can do it. These places also all tend to get the same variant as each other, so they get some localised version degree of herd immunity. In London, you are more likely to have a few different strains or sub-strains swilling around even in local areas.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not always confident of the media reports, but hope this is true. Encouraging news coming out of S Africa too.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/omic...ociation/58c36efc-3035-473f-877d-7b91853dc06a

Much too much emphasis is placed on the assertion that she was the first person to report Omicron. The head of the BMA, her UK equivalent, would not be the most authoritative source of data.

A test positivity rate of 30% that suggests they are missing a lot of true cases. I think she should be a bit more circumspect in public. In the UK, the case positive rate is going up, so the true cases are rising faster than the reported rate.

With the strong transmissibility of Omicron, I think we have a long way to go yet. Some estimates of the background R value, i.e. what it would be in a non-immune population, put it in measles territory, 15 or thereabouts.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Much too much emphasis is placed on the assertion that she was the first person to report Omicron. The head of the BMA, her UK equivalent, would not be the most authoritative source of data.

A test positivity rate of 30% that suggests they are missing a lot of true cases. I think she should be a bit more circumspect in public. In the UK, the case positive rate is going up, so the true cases are rising faster than the reported rate.

With the strong transmissibility of Omicron, I think we have a long way to go yet. Some estimates of the background R value, i.e. what it would be in a non-immune population, put it in measles territory, 15 or thereabouts.

god forbid that could be seen as anything positive. Time to lock us down!