Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Schools should be no jab, no admission for pupils when everyone has been offered the jab.

Really? So young children who are, fortunately and largely unaffected by the virus should be jabbed otherwise they cannot attend school?!

This was about protecting the vulnerable which has been done, the ages of those receiving the vaccine has steadily declined. I don’t believe that younger children should be made to have the vaccine, it should be parental choice and certainly not a case of not being allowed into school without a jab, that would be ridiculous.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
“Three months after having the AstraZeneca vaccine, those who had breakthrough infections were just as likely to spread the Delta variant as the unvaccinated. While protection against transmission decreased in people who had received the Pfizer vaccine.”

Not unless we’re going to start jabbing people every 6 months though.

I accept the argument that those not having the vaccine are more likely to get seriously ill and therefore put more strain on the NHS however I personally don’t believe there should be mandated vaccine passports.

The important bit you are overlooking is that people who were vaccinated were very much less likely to have breakthrough infections than the unvaccinated.

The finding that AZ confers some, but less protection is the reason it is now being quietly bypassed in the booster programme, and arguably why the UK needs a booster programme when other countries who used greater proportion of mRNAs don't.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had to go to the large supermarket yesterday. Hardly anyone wearing a mask and social distancing seemed to be a thing of the past. I made it a rapid visit and I won't return unless I have to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My wife had her third jag last Saturday and has felt off colour since - maybe coincidence as none of sig covid symptoms but nevertheless off colour. Reported her symptoms through the ZOE Study yesterday afternoon as wasn’t feeling better and was asked to take a PCR test, which she did yesterday…results later today she was advised. Meanwhile has taken a LF test - negative - but will isolate until PCR result comes through.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife had her third jag last Saturday and has felt off colour since - maybe coincidence as none of sig covid symptoms but nevertheless off colour. Reported her symptoms through the ZOE Study yesterday afternoon as wasn’t feeling better and was asked to take a PCR test, which she did yesterday…results later today she was advised. Meanwhile has taken a LF test - negative - but will isolate until PCR result comes through.

Symptoms listed in the vaccine advice leaflet in the 48 hours after vaccination do not require a test.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think its fairly obvious the strategy now is to let it circulate and build a herd immunity. It isn't going away, 3 lockdowns but each time it just roars back. There's only so much we can do. Sooner or later we have to roll up our sleeves and get on with life. I don't mean not take sensible precautions while we do that, but we can't keep hiding from this. Whilst it could be argued, with the benefit of hindsight, the government have stumbled from one mistake to another the vaccine roll out has been a huge success. IF peole are stupid enough to believe the facebook virologists and refuse it then thats their choice, natural selection always wins out in the end.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

What are the symptoms? In the 24 hrs following mine I had a sore throat for a day, and then it went, replaced by a runny nose turning into really excess mucous from the nose. Just keeps coming.
However, this may be coincidental and my problem may be sinus related.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think its fairly obvious the strategy now is to let it circulate and build a herd immunity. It isn't going away, 3 lockdowns but each time it just roars back. There's only so much we can do. Sooner or later we have to roll up our sleeves and get on with life. I don't mean not take sensible precautions while we do that, but we can't keep hiding from this. Whilst it could be argued, with the benefit of hindsight, the government have stumbled from one mistake to another the vaccine roll out has been a huge success. IF peole are stupid enough to believe the facebook virologists and refuse it then thats their choice, natural selection always wins out in the end.

I agree it's their choice. But that choice making should have consequences.
Like no admissions, no flights, etc.
This "freedom" to inflict illness and worse on others really p.......s me off.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Back in the office this week, can honestly say it's ***. Commuting, social contact, doing exactly what I was doing at home, but now of course printing reams of paper and driving 40 miles round trip daily. Very green. Very mental health aware :mad:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
“Three months after having the AstraZeneca vaccine, those who had breakthrough infections were just as likely to spread the Delta variant as the unvaccinated. While protection against transmission decreased in people who had received the Pfizer vaccine.”

Can you give us the link to that please?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This graph is meaningless unless you include another to show the testing rate within each of the countries. We could get rid of Covid overnight if we stopped testing......

You really think the testing rate is massively higher here than on the continent?

Here are another couple of worrying stats, courtesy of Sky News this morning. No doubt these are equally meaningless in your view -

The UK now has one of the highest weekly rates of new reported cases in the world, and vaccination rates have fallen behind other European countries.

Data shows that approximately 67% of the population has received two doses of a COVID-19 jab, compared with 75% in Denmark, 79% in Spain and 86% in Portugal.

While the weekly rate of new reported cases stands at 24 per 100,000 people in Spain and 48 per 100,000 people in France, this figure currently stands at 463 per 100,000 people in the UK.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Symptoms listed in the vaccine advice leaflet in the 48 hours after vaccination do not require a test.
That is what she supposed, but the ZOE Study asked her to take a PCR test in any case.

An observation - so anecdotal - she felt a bit better yesterday morning so we took a 1hr guided tour of Canterbury Cathedral. There were 10 of us, all British; all probably over 40, and all I suspect, at least double vaccinated - and we all wore a mask throughout the tour as requested by the Cathedral and the government - though not explicitly by the guide though she also wore a mask. We all wore a mask of our own accord - what made us so compliant I wondered.

My Mrs took the added precaution of us generally keeping a bit apart from the rest of the group - even though she was not covid symptomatic and in a cathedral you might as well be outdoors ?

Given current rates and concerns I cannot help but compare and contrast the behaviour of the tour group with that of the wider public and that of a much bigger group of 650 individuals enclosed in a very confined space with not a lot of ventilation…and of the latter - well I just don’t get it.

btw - she’s feeling a lot better this morning.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You really think the testing rate is massively higher here than on the continent?

Here are another couple of worrying stats, courtesy of Sky News this morning. No doubt these are equally meaningless in your view -

The UK now has one of the highest weekly rates of new reported cases in the world, and vaccination rates have fallen behind other European countries.

Data shows that approximately 67% of the population has received two doses of a COVID-19 jab, compared with 75% in Denmark, 79% in Spain and 86% in Portugal.

While the weekly rate of new reported cases stands at 24 per 100,000 people in Spain and 48 per 100,000 people in France, this figure currently stands at 463 per 100,000 people in the UK.

I don't know what the testing rate is in other countries however I would prefer to have that information along with your graph as it gives more context. I have no doubt we're probably doing worse than other European countries however I do think that the graph that you have posted exaggerates for affect given that our testing is certainly higher so our case rate will be as well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Read the article that you posted.

Wow.
It's a shame you didn't quote the rest of the sentence.

''Three months after having the AstraZeneca vaccine, those who had breakthrough infections were just as likely to spread the Delta variant as the unvaccinated. While protection against transmission decreased in people who had received the Pfizer vaccine, there was still a benefit when compared with unvaccinated people.'' .

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Anymore lockdowns would be pointless, and only do more damage. This isn't going away so we need to get used to it.

Shelter the vulnerable and at risk groups if need be, and let the rest of us get on with life.
Even many of those considered most at risk aren't doing much, if anything to protect themselves.