Controversy at Scottish Amateur Championships

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Were the SGU correct?

Should Yule have been in the next round after the match was "conceded"

I thought that rule was "once a match is conceded, that concession cannot be withdrawn or declined." Surely whoever he conceded to should have gone through... bit lost to be honest.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
At that level of golf you enter just for a game around Muirfield. Well.

Nope two rounds for £75. Plus despite being a big fish in a wee pond at Club level he knows he had absolutely zero chance of going far. Therefore the fact that it was at Muirfield was the only factor in him entering. For instance if it had been at Gullane or Glasgow Gailes etc I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken the time off of work.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Were the SGU correct?

Should he have entered knowing he couldn't play round 2?

Should Yule have been in the next round after the match was "conceded"
I thought that rule was "once a match is conceded, that concession cannot be withdrawn or declined." Surely whoever he conceded to should have gone through... bit lost to be honest.

The problem, for Yule, was that the match was over before the concession was made!

So yes, the SGU (well 'The Committee') were correct, unfortunately for Yule.

And once an issue has been brought to their attention, 'The Committee' has to make some sort of ruling!

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing really controversial!

Just a (not altogether unreasonable) screw-up by the players involved! They should have consulted the Rules official that was with them.

Even a concession during the 18th would have had the desired effect - I believe!

I agree with this ^^^

They should have conceded before the match was over... however Idon't think that he should have played the first round knowing he couldnt make the second. His partner would then have just gone straight through to the next round anyway.

Lesson learned I guess!