Consistency

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Grogger,

OK, thy this.

When at the range put a long rubber tee in the matt and place your ball an inch inside and an inch ahead of the tee. Now make some half shots so that you hit the ball and miss the tee, try and imagine you are trying to strike the ball with the toe of your club .

When you can do this try it with some full shots. This should help you get the club hitting the ball more in the middle of the clubface. You can then take this feel to the course when playing.

Let me know how you get on please.

Ill certainly give that a try next time I'm at the range. Won't be until the weekend but ill let you know how I get on as soon as I've tried this method

thanks very much!!

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have been in the same boat as you.
I took up the game 18 months ago, trying to learn this game on a tight budget is tough.
I have improved tremendously in the last few months, what I would do is.

1. Save up & book a course of lessons with a Pro to hopefully get the basics right & have a starting point to build on. (space them out to give you time to practice between lessons)

2. Look at the better golf instruction videos on You Tube & take notes on the key points.

3. Only alter one thing in your swing at a time, because one minor alteration can lead to another problem & it is very easy to get to totally lost.

4. Get a load of practice balls, go to a practice area as often as possible & spend 2 or 3 hours hitting them, always go with a plan of what you want to work on.

5. Get someone to video your swing & review it later & compare it to what you are trying to achieve.

6. Try to play with a better player than you, it is possible to improve your game loads by just observing what a better player does.

7. The key to this game is to be able to recognise your own faults & then have the ability to work on a cure to fix it, eventually you will get to a point where it all starts to come together, it will take hours of practice & will be extremely frustrating at times, but ultimately in the end it will be worth the effort.

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This may seem ironic coming from me as someone who is seemingly always practicing but there has to come a time when you stop hitting range balls and having lessons and getting out on the course and playing regularly. Yes, I know we can't do it at the moment but getting out there and doing it is really the only way to get true consistency. A lot of us would be single figure golfers if we had range handicaps but the game isn't played there. Go out, have fun and perhaps look at your scorecards and work out where you lose shots or what type of shot let you down and get a lesson for that facet

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This may seem ironic coming from me as someone who is seemingly always practicing but there has to come a time when you stop hitting range balls and having lessons and getting out on the course and playing regularly. Yes, I know we can't do it at the moment but getting out there and doing it is really the only way to get true consistency. A lot of us would be single figure golfers if we had range handicaps but the game isn't played there. Go out, have fun and perhaps look at your scorecards and work out where you lose shots or what type of shot let you down and get a lesson for that facet

No fun shanking it around a course.