Consistency

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

First post on here so go easy on me!! I've only recently started playing golf 6 months ago so I'm still really brand new to the game.

My biggest problem at the moment is consistent shots. Sometimes I can have a session at the range and walk away happy knowing that 95% of my shots went straight and high. Then a few days later ill go to the range brimming with confidence and end up hitting every shot poorly and to the right or not get off the ground at all

Due to cost I can only afford around 200 balls at the range a week and one lesson on the weekend. My problem with inconsistency is getting me down a bit. I try to do everything I'm taught in my lessons but it doesn't always pay off. I was just wondering if inconsistency at this stage in my small golfing life was normal? And the best ways to crack it?

hope some of you can help and I look forward to speaking to you all

Cheers

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome.

Consistency is the holy grail and what we all strive for. Practice, more practice and for some lessons are the only way to lessen the difference between the bad and good shots so the bad ones are less damaging. I always go easy on myself when I get frustrated as a pro can shoot 65 one day and 75 the next for no apparent reason and if they can be so inconsistent then striving too hard for it and pinning too much on it is a bit futile. It is the beauty of this game that you never ever have it under your complete control - if it was easy we'd all be shooting sub 70 and get bored :)

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome.

Consistency is the holy grail and what we all strive for. Practice, more practice and for some lessons are the only way to lessen the difference between the bad and good shots so the bad ones are less damaging. I always go easy on myself when I get frustrated as a pro can shoot 65 one day and 75 the next for no apparent reason and if they can be so inconsistent then striving too hard for it and pinning too much on it is a bit futile. It is the beauty of this game that you never ever have it under your complete control - if it was easy we'd all be shooting sub 70 and get bored :)

Cheers Amanda. It's just really annoying but I suppose it's part of the reason I love the game so much. I've just bought my first set of really decent clubs (Callaway X22 irons) so I can only go forward from here.

I think ill have to get down to the range more if I can then and practice and not let the bad shots get to me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Amanda. It's just really annoying but I suppose it's part of the reason I love the game so much. I've just bought my first set of really decent clubs (Callaway X22 irons) so I can only go forward from here.

I think ill have to get down to the range more if I can then and practice and not let the bad shots get to me.

It's only human to want to hit a good one every time and the sort of person you/we are that loves the game for its difficulty is probably the sort who strives for perfection. My coach has a mantra "don't worship the sweetspot" and finally that is sinking in and a shot that gets the job done albeit a bit ugly is ok!

I've read a number of the psychology books related to golf which has helped me keep a lid on it when things aren't going well. A good starter is Bob Rotella's "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

What do you change after you've hit a bad one?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along Grogger , not much use to you on the consistenct thing as me and that word have our own "issues" at present :(

welcome to the forum, loads of good people to give good advice & if you dont know or understand something just ask , we have all been beginers at some stage :thup:

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's only human to want to hit a good one every time and the sort of person you/we are that loves the game for its difficulty is probably the sort who strives for perfection. My coach has a mantra "don't worship the sweetspot" and finally that is sinking in and a shot that gets the job done albeit a bit ugly is ok!I've read a number of the psychology books related to golf which has helped me keep a lid on it when things aren't going well. A good starter is Bob Rotella's "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect".
Ill have a look for that book, thanks. I'm still brand new to golf and I know it's a game I'd be lucky to perfect. I just need to get consistent I don't care how ugly my shots are at the moment so long as they go up and near enough straight :)

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome along Grogger , not much use to you on the consistenct thing as me and that word have our own "issues" at present :(

welcome to the forum, loads of good people to give good advice & if you dont know or understand something just ask , we have all been beginers at some stage :thup:

Cheers blade one of the reasons I joined was to get tips and advice so thanks very much

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What do you change after you've hit a bad one?

I just take a step back and think about what I may have done wrong then address the ball and think about what my instructor has taught me.

One of the things I struggle with is tension in my arms and wrists. If I relax I'm ok I try to hard to smash the ball instead of letting the club do the work. My bad shots always banana off to the right as well

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome to the addiction - and the mad-house!:D

Consistency is indeed the Holy Grail of golf!:mad:

Unless your Pro has advised you otherwise, I'd suggest you cut down on the number of balls you hit in any range session, but try to go more often. Obviously the 2 trips adds to the cost and time involved, so you need to have a balance.

And make sure that you don't just end up smashing balls - therapeutic as this can be! Have a plan for what you would like every ball to do - but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. It may be worth trying to work out what went wrong, but that often ends up causing more tension and other problems so, if that happens, just concentrate on the next shot - rather like what happens out on the course really!

If the range has a short game or putting area, spend a decent amount of time chipping (unless prohibited) and putting. There slower, smoother action of these shots will help your timing and co-ordination in the long game.

And trust your Pro. But don't be afraid to ask him/her why he wants you to do particular things.

Enjoy the ride!

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the addiction - and the mad-house!:D

Consistency is indeed the Holy Grail of golf!:mad:

Unless your Pro has advised you otherwise, I'd suggest you cut down on the number of balls you hit in any range session,

And make sure that you don't just end up smashing balls - therapeutic as this can be! Have a plan for what you would like every ball to do

If the range has a short game or putting area, spend a decent amount of time chipping (unless prohibited) and putting. There slower, smoother action of these shots will help your timing and co-ordination in the long game.

What this man said! :)

I'm very much in the same boat as you Grogger. My trips to the range can go well, or not so well. There doesn't seem to be any in-between at the minute. The problem is consistency. Confidence is a huge part of this sport, confidence in your swing and confidence in your clubs. Without that, you're getting off on the wrong foot.

I have some Callaway X16s, they're by no means brilliant but I've told myself that they'll do me for the time being given my current skill level. I've hit some amazing shots with them so I know they're up to the task. It's just getting the consistency nailed. The only way to do that, I believe, is to practice. The more time your hands spend swinging a club, the more it'll start to feel more natural, the more natural, the more consistent.

As Foxholer said, 200 is way too many balls. I'd cut this down to around 70. Perhaps even 60. Spend more time in between each shot and get yourself into a routine. Make ALL of your checks, posture, grip, stance, ball placement etc. then go for it.

I think it's very possible to over analyse and over-think all of the mechanics involved. I know for a fact this causes my consistency to drop. I try not to think too much about the shot, relax a little bit more and let the club do the work. Try not to smash 10 bells out of each and every one. Power will come later no doubt.

If after 50 range sessions you're still not getting into it, and you're enjoyment of the sport isn't what it was, then perhaps golf isn't for you. It's all about the enjoyment for me, the moment I go for a round and I don't enjoy it (even if I do really badly) I'll walk away. There's a difference between frustration and not enjoying something.

Sorry for the waffle but I do know how you feel right now. It'll come, with practice. At least that's what I'm telling myself! :)

Enjoy it, that's the main thing.

David

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, just to expand on what I do when I'm at the range. I get say 50 balls and arrange them into smaller piles. I loosen up by hitting some PW and 9-i shots, say 10 of those, going from 30% to a full swing. Then I step up to a 7-i, 15 of those maybe. Don't forget to spend some time on each shot, thinking about why perhaps the last shot didn't go so well. I go up to a 5-i, then my hybrid. I'm not hitting any with my driver at the moment.

Pitching and putting get a good hour of my time too.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry, just to expand on what I do when I'm at the range. I get say 50 balls and arrange them into smaller piles. I loosen up by hitting some PW and 9-i shots, say 10 of those, going from 30% to a full swing. Then I step up to a 7-i, 15 of those maybe. Don't forget to spend some time on each shot, thinking about why perhaps the last shot didn't go so well. I go up to a 5-i, then my hybrid. I'm not hitting any with my driver at the moment.

Pitching and putting get a good hour of my time too.

Cheers David, sounds exactly like the same problem!! I'll make sure I hit less but spend more time stepping back to think about what I need to be doing. I know I need to stop trying to smash the ball and just relax.

I always start with my PW every time I go to the range. It seems to be about the only club I can use sometimes haha!!

I'm really going to make an effort to use the advice people have given me on here!

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers David, sounds exactly like the same problem!! I'll make sure I hit less but spend more time stepping back to think about what I need to be doing. I know I need to stop trying to smash the ball and just relax.

I always start with my PW every time I go to the range. It seems to be about the only club I can use sometimes haha!!

I'm really going to make an effort to use the advice people have given me on here!

No problem.

Starting with a PW or 9-i gives me a bit of confidence. When I see the ball going straight and high, I get more into it. Yes they're the easiest clubs to hit. I think for me it's a psychological thing. That and it helps me to warm up a bit which is as good a reason as any.

I've learnt so much just from reading and watching other member's swings on here. I'm going to post up my swing soon after my first lesson to see what people think. It's a bit daunting but what you get back is priceless. I'd suggest your perhaps do the same :)

Cheers

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Grogger,

You mentioned that your bad shots are going right and hardly off the ground. Are they shanks?

Yeah I think so. A majority of my shots just go straight off to the right. I think it's because I don't use my wrists enough on the down swing and I'm to tense. Also I think the club is facing to the right at the end of my backswing. For some reason I can't seem to stop bringing the club that way

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome good to see you getting stuck in. :lol:

50 balls is about right IMO and a few loosens with PW is good.
Another way of using the range is to play the course in your head, ie hit driver/3 wood and then the iron you would be hitting into the 1st green and so on around the course.
Consistency is the holy grail for all of us one day driving is great another day it's irons then it's putting the one day it all falls in place is to be relished! In the meantime just keep plugging away relax and enjoy!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Grogger,

OK, thy this.

When at the range put a long rubber tee in the matt and place your ball an inch inside and an inch ahead of the tee. Now make some half shots so that you hit the ball and miss the tee, try and imagine you are trying to strike the ball with the toe of your club .

When you can do this try it with some full shots. This should help you get the club hitting the ball more in the middle of the clubface. You can then take this feel to the course when playing.

Let me know how you get on please.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah I think so. A majority of my shots just go straight off to the right. I think it's because I don't use my wrists enough on the down swing and I'm to tense. Also I think the club is facing to the right at the end of my backswing. For some reason I can't seem to stop bringing the club that way

How does the contact feel?
If you're in doubt where the contact is, place some sticky tape on the club face and see where the ball leaves a mark

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the things I struggle with is tension in my arms and wrists. If I relax I'm ok I try to hard to smash the ball instead of letting the club do the work. My bad shots always banana off to the right as well[/QUOTE said:
I am not an expert but my coach changed my grip from interlocking to an overlap and this helped to stop the tension in my hands and arms. Assuming you have an interlock grip.