Connected takeaway and backswing...

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm really struggling to get comfortable with the motion of a good backswing. In particular, what parts of the body drive the movement.

I'm not particularly flexible so I'm not ever going to be capable of an Adam Scott perfect posture rotation around the spine. The problem I seem to suffer with is losing connection almost immediately with my arms moving seperately, across my chest and then everything is based too much on arm movement to get to the right position at the top and consequently through the ball - it ends up being a timing is everything kind of motion.

Basically, I'm after a drill that gives me the right feeling for the takeaway - i.e. the right amount of arm motion and the torso moving in the right way.

I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kp_Hdoxk3k

That looks like a good practice drill to me, but then I worry that it might take the width out of my swing arc.

I find it so difficult to find good information on the web - there's so many different views out there as to how things should be done.

I think what I'm trying to achieve is a connected backswing, which keeps my hands in front of my chest. I followed Shawn Clement's approach for a bit, but I found it to be too armsy and not consistent enough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgcAsIR2O_4) - maybe armsy isn't the right description - but too many moving parts.

Any recommendations or thoughts on the drill above?

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the clip in that first post. I think this is my big problem and part of the reason I can hit a fantastic shot followed by an absolute dog's dinner of one. I think I may be relying on timing with my hands too much. Going to give towel drill a go and see if it helps.

SteO

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wow - that's quite something, particularly in orange...

I can see that it might work though. Do you have one?

Yes I have a black one and once you get used to it and the strange looks from other people at the range I find it works great. I usually hit 2 or 3 shots with my arms in the sleeve and then a few without. If you look on you tube Rick Shiels gives a good review of it

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you actually hit a full shot in one of them? Remember seeing them when they came put and thinking it looks like a great idea but does it actually work.

SteO

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can you actually hit a. full shot in one of them? Remember seeing them when they came put and thinking it looks like a great idea but does it actually work.

Yes I hit shots all the time whilst wearing it. Best to start with chips and pitches and then gradually build it up to full swing. I was hitting full 7 and 5 iron shots in it today