Comps since lockdown any advice ?

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We start our comps again next week, wondering if any club has restricted their comps to the stableford format or medal, or limited groups to 2 or 3 balls, done anything that's improved or not that has helped keep the shorter times we were getting used to playing with 2 balls at 10 min intervals, quite liked playing 3 ball stablefords (social golf) never longer than three & half hours am dreading our first comp which is a 4 ball medal expecting it to be back to 5 hours plus. any input would be welcomed.

sunshine

Visit site
We are playing stableford, no strokeplay / medal. Also, not permitted to return to the tee, so if you don't find your original ball and didn't hit a provisional it's a blob.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think ours have only been Stableford so far. There's only been two. Instead of signing each other's cards, you just sign the one you were marking and send a photo of it to the club sec. I think now it's been set up so you can enter your score on Howdidido as well, but I've not tried that yet. I highly doubt all the old fellers in our club will be on board with that.

sunshine

Visit site
I think ours have only been Stableford so far. There's only been two. Instead of signing each other's cards, you just sign the one you were marking and send a photo of it to the club sec. I think now it's been set up so you can enter your score on Howdidido as well, but I've not tried that yet. I highly doubt all the old fellers in our club will be on board with that.

So if you didn't enter your score on howdidido, how were the results processed?

We've had 150 entrants for each of the two comps so far. Did the poor club sec have to decipher all the photos and manually enter all the scores into the system?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
We are going to start competitions in July.

Assume this will be 3 balls in strokeplay format.

Inevitably it will take more time to get round and assume they will have to drop cups to normal depth.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Throughout June and July we are running stablefords only (4 balls) we do not want anybody returning to the tee for a 3 off the tee or holding up the field running up double figure scores just to keep the card going.

Online or phone app booking, payment taken from the players members account.

Players mark their own cards with markers name clearly written and verbally agree the gross scores on each hole with the marker.

Cards are submitted normally, those with the app are requested to use it but we still want the card as per usual, and there will be a period of quarantine for the cards of 2 - 3 days.

We have dropped any requirement to photo the card as we will now have it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

We've had 150 entrants for each of the two comps so far. Did the poor club sec have to decipher all the photos and manually enter all the scores into the system?
As I said, we were already sending photos of our scorecards to the club sec. Yeah I'm pretty sure he does it all, possibly with the help of his son. That was happening before lockdown anyway, we were still posting our cards into a lockbox with no manual score entry from ourselves.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is my task come Monday afternoon. Even if they have submitted by the phone app the score still has to check before it is accepted. Normally players input their own scores via the PSI terminal.

We have dropped the idea of photos.

sunshine

Visit site
That is my task come Monday afternoon. Even if they have submitted by the phone app the score still has to check before it is accepted. Normally players input their own scores via the PSI terminal.

We have dropped the idea of photos.

:eek:
But surely it's easier for you to check a score entered already rather than manually enter it yourself into the system?
If they are all in the PSI terminal do you check every score? Surely you just need to check the scores around buffer or better? No point checking a 24 point card.

I hope the members appreciate you... sounds like a thankless task.

sunshine

Visit site
We have adopted a method which sounds complicated but actually seems to work ok.

1. Sign in to the comp on the app. Just the same as signing in via PSI terminal.
2. Mark your playing partner's card, as normal. No swapping cards at the start of the round, but we need to agree who is marking who's card at the start.
3. On completion, verbally agree your score with your marker.
4. Submit your own score via the app. Just the same as scoring via PSI terminal, but there is also an option to add stats on fairways hit, GiR etc. You can do this as you go or at the end of the round.
5. Take a photo of the card you have marked, then assign it to the player on the app. This is the only extra step, takes no more than a minute to complete.

If members would rather do this on a PC instead of the app, the pro can sign you in and you can submit the scores via the website when you get home.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:eek:
But surely it's easier for you to check a score entered already rather than manually enter it yourself into the system?
If they are all in the PSI terminal do you check every score? Surely you just need to check the scores around buffer or better? No point checking a 24 point card.

I hope the members appreciate you... sounds like a thankless task.

Under normal circumstances all the scores are checked by one of the office staff who is on furlough and I hope she only thoroughly checks the scores around thewnning margin. Which is my advice.

I am doing them at home on Monday and will make a decision then. I am normally jst sat at a table doing cards they are returned and it easy to do then.

If theyping looks odd thediting has gone haywire.