Compressor For Removing Grips

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How large/small a compressor do you need for removing and fitting grips by the air method? Are the small portable compressors which are mainly for car tyres suitable with the correct end trigger? I noticed this coming up for sale at Lidl and wondered if it would be any good, all I would use it for is grips so I don't want to spend a lot of money for the little use it will get. Its only 12V which is not ideal but I can work round that.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=6219

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I question the ability of these to even blow up car tyres, unless you've got a few hours to spare. For grips I think it needs to be a quick powerful force, not something on the drip like those things, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Why not just cut them off?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I question the ability of these to even blow up car tyres, unless you've got a few hours to spare. For grips I think it needs to be a quick powerful force, not something on the drip like those things, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Aye, it may not have enough oomph looking at the capacity. Reducing the nozzle size could help get more "jizz" maybe.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I want to remove grips I just get a small hypodermic filled with WD40 and inject the stuff through the grip in two or three places. I then wriggle the grip for a few seconds and presto ................. the thing just slides off totally undamaged.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly you do not need industrial kit to do this.

ae235

Is more than enough for all grips including big meaty putter grips

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I have a Ring compressor in the car as I don't have a spare tyre and it tops up tyres quickly and stops automatically at the set pressure, can check and do the whole car in less than 5 minutes. I haven't filled a totally empty tyre but done one that was very low pressure and it just took a couple of minutes. It's a waste to take off good grips with a knife if you want to use them again, a whole set of irons at £8 per grip mounts up. I use a welding rod and solvent to remove just now, it's easy enough but fancy trying the air method again. I did try it before at work but the compressor is huge and was too powerful for my liking, so just wondered if this would do the job cheaply.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I keep one in my car (slow puncture ) it pumps the tyre up to 35 psi from around 20 psi in about two minutes. The modern pumps are much better than the ones from about 20years ago.

The difference between one of the these an a normal air compressor is that a normal air compressor feeds the air from a storage tank and one of these delivers air 'on the fly'.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You'll struggle to achieve the required constant air supply required by using such things as tyre pumps...

On the plus side of that is you don't need a huge amount of pressure to remove most grips although some can be extremely stubborn at times and forget what you've been told about not needing it for 'Superstroke' type putter grips, they're far worse than ordinary grips...

I do all of my grips myself using the masking tape and blow on and off method, excellent when trying to work out yer preferred grip thickness as the grips can be reused and swapped around accordingly... :thup:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Ring compressor in the car as I don't have a spare tyre and it tops up tyres quickly and stops automatically at the set pressure, can check and do the whole car in less than 5 minutes. I haven't filled a totally empty tyre but done one that was very low pressure and it just took a couple of minutes. It's a waste to take off good grips with a knife if you want to use them again, a whole set of irons at £8 per grip mounts up. I use a welding rod and solvent to remove just now, it's easy enough but fancy trying the air method again. I did try it before at work but the compressor is huge and was too powerful for my liking, so just wondered if this would do the job cheaply.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I'm not sure I understand why you'd be removing grips which are in good condition (ie good enough to use again)?

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I want to remove grips I just get a small hypodermic filled with WD40 and inject the stuff through the grip in two or three places. I then wriggle the grip for a few seconds and presto ................. the thing just slides off totally undamaged.

Good shout. Where does one put one's hand on a hypodermic ? I don't fancy using the ones found in underpasses etc !

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say you need one with a storage tank, mine is 50 litres I think, and I run at 100psi output. You need a constant supply of air for blowing off grips, that and a piece of 32mm plastic pipe to put over the grip as you try to inflate it to stop it ballooning in one spot and bursting.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would say you need one with a storage tank, mine is 50 litres I think, and I run at 100psi output. You need a constant supply of air for blowing off grips, that and a piece of 32mm plastic pipe to put over the grip as you try to inflate it to stop it ballooning in one spot and bursting.

Spot on, the pipe stops the grips from popping like a balloon, they make a hell of a bang...

Certain grips don't take to being blown off or on either by the way, the duel compound 'Lamkin 2.5' being one... :thup:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Good shout. Where does one put one's hand on a hypodermic ? I don't fancy using the ones found in underpasses etc ! "

I used to get mine from the local vet because I had a diabetic cat!!
I'm sure a local vet would oblige for a few pennies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would be surprised if anywhere responsible would give / sell you a hypodermic. You can however buy a syringe from RS components, and some blunt dispensing metal tips which do the job ok. The needle does not need to be sharp. Wd or white spirit does wreck the syringe though, as its the wrong sort of rubber for use with solvents.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I would be surprised if anywhere responsible would give / sell you a hypodermic. You can however buy a syringe from RS components, and some blunt dispensing metal tips which do the job ok. The needle does not need to be sharp. Wd or white spirit does wreck the syringe though, as its the wrong sort of rubber for use with solvents.

You can go into any Lloyd's chemist and ask for free syringes, it's a government backed scheme for drug users not to use dirty needles.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yer local farm suppliers or equestrian shop should be able to supply you with a large syringe and appropriate needle, then just buff the end of the needle off with a file... :thup: