"Compression" tops.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The ones i had where when still played Cricket, and those were supposed to keep you cool, always roasted in them TBH. They were given to everyone in the team by one of the Equipment sponsors. wore them for golf a couple of times but you roasted in them then as well.

I do have a couple of Lycra polo necks i got from Aldi and they are great.

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
does anybody else feel like they are in a straight jacket wearing them????

Yesterday, compression top, shirt, jumper, waterproof jacket.
No wonder I was swinging like a mad axe murderer...
:mad:

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses???

Were you fitted for it?

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I love them in winter, and even when it warms up a bit until it's t-shirt only temps. I've got a couple of thin Nike ones and a couple of thicker Under Armour. Both are excellent. Yes they are tight but I don't find them at all restrictive, can only think that if you find them restrictive you may have a size too small.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wore them this winter for the first time, I've got a skin tight UA one and a looser one as well. Both keep me warm and dont feel restricted as usually only wear a jumper over the top. Better than wearing a vest, polo, jumper, windproof top IMO

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site

I wear one and don't feel very restricted in it at all, I use it for mountain biking in the winter to keep me warmer. So treat it more as a thermal layer, keeps cool when I get hot and warm when its cold, I feel quite comfortable in it. I am busy getting Physio for my shoulder from a mountain bike crash I had and I feel having the compression across my chest\upper back actually helps a lot for the pain too.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That's certainly too many layers for playing Golf! A standard 'base layer' feels less like straight-jacket. The waterproof top should eliminate the wind chill, so certainly no need for the jumper, and maybe not even the shirt - though that does add warmth without much bulk. If more is required, a natural-fabric mock, replacing the shirt, is best imo.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It isn't... on Saturday I had a base layer, a tee shirt, a jumper and a waterproof jacket on, and still managed to knock it around in 9 under my handicap :whoo:

Think of how many more under your handicap you'd have played if you weren't hampered by so many layers! :whistle: :rofl:

Though maybe that excess padding actually helped an otherwise too jerky/quick swing! Monty lost his swing when he lost 5 stone and I know a couple of low-cappers who did the same. Their previous bulk smoothed their swing out!

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think of how many more under your handicap you'd have played if you weren't hampered by so many layers! :whistle: :rofl:

Though maybe that excess padding actually helped an otherwise too jerky/quick swing! Monty lost his swing when he lost 5 stone and I know a couple of low-cappers who did the same. Their previous bulk smoothed their swing out!

You're right, I could have broken 80 if I was wearing just a tee shirt :D

Karl Petterson lost his swing when he lost weight, but conversely I'm playing much better since I got rid of my beer gut.

I couldn't really have played much worse though :rofl:

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I waer compressions tops all the time, for golf, running, football and sometimes while just out for a walk. If you've got the correct size it should be tight but not too restrictive. Cheaper ones seem to be poorer quality and loose there compression pretty soon.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If I'm wearing a waterproof the jumper has to go.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 layers as per above is my limit for free moevement, and when i say a jumper, i mean a thin one and a thin rain jacket. Long johns are still out down here, i was not born for this climate!!

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep still wearing compression long johns as well - great for circulation also

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't know why I am reading this thread. I have no interest in discussing men's under garments. It puts horrible images in my head, which I don't want.