Complete set up..Advice needed.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played with a mate of mine the other Sunday, he plays off 12 and if he had a better short game would be off single figures easily. I hadn't played with him for a while and on this particular day he was striking his irons better than I had ever seen him. Hardly used a wood all day, 3 iron off the tee and he wasn't far short of my best efforts with my Driver. He was flushing every single iron in his bag. I really was taken aback with his ball striking, it was that good.
"New irons?" I asked him.
"Well sort of mate", he said...and when he showed me, I couldn't believe it.
He had snapped the shaft in his old 7 iron and had been to JJB Sports and bought a cheap Dunlop (could have been Slazenger) club to replace it. He got on so well with it, he went down there two or three times more buying a couple of matching clubs at a time until he had the full set. I think he said he paid something like £7.99 per iron! He beat me 4&3, I looked at my shiney Mizunos sitting in my bag and sighed.
It kinda sums it all up really. It's what feels right for you, and it doesn't matter what names on the clubs. If you like the look of them, you'll hit them well.

FourRight

Medal Winner
Visit site
After returning to the game myself 2 years ago with a 13 year old set of Wilson clubs that where way too short for me, I needed a new set of clubs.

I did the same as you, looked around for my price range, and settled for the Cobra S9's. I did however pay the extra £20 to have the hour custom fit session at my local driving range, and it was worth it.

Due to my height, I needed Longer, Stiffer Shafts, 2 Deg upright. I then brought the Driver and Resuces at a later date.

One other thing if the local Pro hasen't got the clubs you want to try, it might be worth asking them to refer you directly to the manufacturer. My Dad went to the Ping Factory last year and spend half a day trying all there clubs to find the best setup. Came away at the end of the day with a full set of clubs all to his spec, for the same price the Pro could ahve done it for.

As I said i don't know if all the Manufactures offer this, and it would be a trek to get there, depending on where you are, but it is worth it.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
For the money you have to spend u will have no prob getting kitted out with a set of irons from lasy year I would go for a second hand driver a TM burner or Superquad or a Ping G10 can all be got for under a £100 and for the wedges i'd get a set of MD golf wedges just as good as any of the big brands but half the price and i pick up 2 second hand utilities a baffler or any of the taylor made modles in a 16 and 22 degrees of loft. I would go to see a pro to get an idea of what flex u need in the clubs and will standard lie and loft work and then get everything off the net.
Mike
Mike

gtcarling

Hacker
Visit site
Right went to a few shops today and had a good look.

Tried a few sets out and decided to go with the Mizuno MX-19`s, got them for £180 so a bargain. Also tried various drivers, was nearly tempted by one of the TM`s but decided the Mizuno 760 was very good for the money.

I`ve contacted another driving range and i`ve arranged six lessons there with one of the pro`s. They have a good 18 hole course there aswell so looking forward to it.

Once i`ve done these i`ll decide on which hybrids to go for although the Cobra baffler and the TM rgb rescue look favourable.

Thanks for all the advice really helped, im sure i`ll be posting again after a few slices.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd deffo reccomend the Di7's IF they suit your swing speed.They are for high handicap average golfer.

I came back to the game last August and started with stuff that was beyond me, thats irons driver and woods. The Di7's solved the iron problem. The rest came good when I stopped kidding myself trying to use stiff shafts.
For woods the older taylor made V steels you can get 2nd hand on ebay and are an excellent easy to use wood

I do disagree a little with getting a fitting because as you start playing more your swing and it's speed will develop.
For this reason expect to change some or all your clubs in the first twelve months so you have three choices, buy cheap and not expect to get a lot when you sell on or pay more and get more when you sell on or alternatively there's also loads of 2nd hand stuff on scam bay.I wouldn't buy a complete set though there's loads of deals on so you can easily get kitted for the 400 - 500 quid that you've got.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
The MX19s are a really nice bit of kit. I've had mine for a year and a half now or so. The only thing I would say after my recent experiance with more of a 'players' club, is that if your normal shot shape is left and not right then just beware that large offset and draw weighted clubs might not be the right route.

Of course this is only from my limited experiance.

If your shot shape is anything right, then the MX19s would be grand. And I believe a good bargin at the moment.

juanw

Hacker
Banned
Visit site
It is mainly up to yourself . If you want to get a full set ,i advise you to pick TaylorMade or Callaway . After all they are famous brands . But the question is whether you want to get a good set with cheap price.If so ,why not have a try online ? You can have much more good choices this way. And you can save money .