Complete Beginner - Best Club's For Me?

mpbarrett90

Visit site
Looking to get my first ever set of clubs and start playing regularly for the first time and was just looking for some advice on what type of clubs to get. Read somewhere that hybrid irons may be more forgiving for myself than regular irons or would a full package set be best to get me started?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking to get my first ever set of clubs and start playing regularly for the first time and was just looking for some advice on what type of clubs to get. Read somewhere that hybrid irons may be more forgiving for myself than regular irons or would a full package set be best to get me started?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

I know Wilson Staff do pretty good package sets for a beginner/starter that sometimes include drivers and putters also.

Perhaps look for something that has hybrids up until and including 5 iron as a hybrid. Might promote more confidence in your ball striking.

Also can't go wrong with going and speaking with someone at your local range/American Golf, they're likely to have a second hand set, if you tell them you're after something forgiving. Good luck!

mpbarrett90

Visit site
Thanks a lot, will head to American Golf (there's one 5mins away) and see if they can help. Best to get a few lessons and spend some time at driving range with new clubs before hitting a course?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks a lot, will head to American Golf (there's one 5mins away) and see if they can help. Best to get a few lessons and spend some time at driving range with new clubs before hitting a course?

If you can find a good instructor then leesons are a good idea but if you are just starting out head to the range to get a feel for the clubs and the basics then when you feel confident enough get out on the course. Mu Uncle alwats told me there is no substitute to actually playing the game if you want to learn it.
Everyone is different however. Just do what feels right

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I would say range to start hitting the ball. Then a lesson or 2, with range sessions in between. That way you are practicing what the pro has taught you, and as practice makes permanent you are ingraining good swing thoughts into your process,rather than bad ones!

Once you can get the ball away and you feel like you could get round the course without wanging it in the trees etc (not saying you're not already at that stage!) then get on a course as soon as you can! Can't compare the range to being on the course in terms of course management, decision making etc, just general exposure to a course really! Following that, in the future you may join a club!