Competitions

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Evening fellow golfers,

How are your club comps run?

I played my first one today and there were no set times - you could register and play at what ever time you wanted so the last entrants could just be finishing now

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Evening fellow golfers,

I played my first one today and there were no set times - you could register and play at what ever time you wanted so the last entrants could just be finishing now
Mostly the same with us.
Bigger comps are drawn but not many.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All our silver comps which there are about 10 ( I'd say equivalent to a board comp) are drown comps and have a gross and net prize and some even an age category.
Then we have 3 sat pullar medals per month where you can play with who you like amd book your own time. Again gross and net.
There are 3 Sunday stableford a month, again same as the pullar, book your own times.
Also have 3 Wednesday cups a month same set up again as the pullar and stableford, but most Bogey comps.
Only between April to October

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Stableford / Medal comps are drawn, and a foursomes comp also, Winter league and other greensomes/foursomes partners are chosen, and matchplay KOs are obviously drawn

Best way to get a good club atmosphere as you soon get to know everyone if you play comps regularly

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saturday Medals March to October are booked online up to 8 days in advance. November to February they are optional and it is sign up on the day. Weekday and Sunday comps are optional, sign up on the day.

wjemather

Visit site
Evening fellow golfers,

All but our trophy comps (which have set tee times) are as you describe - enter and play at any time during the day (as long as the pro shop is open to take your entry).

D-S

Visit site
I’d be interested to know how many or percentage of club’s competitions are drawn and how many can members just to elect to play with their mates?

D

Deleted member 15344

Only two comps are drawn - club champs ( handicap order ) and Capts day (zones )

the rest you just book your tee time and playing partners with you

evemccc

Visit site
For those who don’t have more than 1 or 2 drawn comps a year, how does your club integrate new members or how do people actually meet : get to know others?

D

Deleted member 15344

For those who don’t have more than 1 or 2 drawn comps a year, how does your club integrate new members or how do people actually meet : get to know others?
Put themselves down in empty spots , get the numbers of the guys organising the roll ups

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think our major comps are all drawn, the monthly medals and Stablefords you just turn up in your group, enter the comp and play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d be interested to know how many or percentage of club’s competitions are drawn and how many can members just to elect to play with their mates?
All ours are pick your tee time and your mates can be put down as well.
We have only one drawn comp the Club Championship.

RichA

Visit site
All of our comps are drawn as 3-balls and consecutive tee times allocated from 8am.
A couple of hours of times are always blocked off for competition days. We have to sign up 7 days in advance so the draw can be made and unused times released for general play.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

All our comps are drawn randomly 7 days in advance acknowledging players' preferences for early or late start times.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
None of my clubs comps are drawn, maybe the club champs but that doesn't enter my world ?. I was new this year and basically you look for gaps in the brs booking. See a 2 ball or a 3 ball, add yourself in (comps are 4 balls). Play with different players, hope you get on.

There is no formal integration method, it's up to you as the new guy to get involved. It isn't easy, most groups are established and it is a case of dead men's shoes on the whole.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Exactly. At Newport everyone plays with exactly the same people every week and variation is virtually unheard of.

Every Saturday round I've had this year has been in the same group.
Bonkers

evemccc

Visit site
None of my clubs comps are drawn, maybe the club champs but that doesn't enter my world ?. I was new this year and basically you look for gaps in the brs booking. See a 2 ball or a 3 ball, add yourself in (comps are 4 balls). Play with different players, hope you get on.

There is no formal integration method, it's up to you as the new guy to get involved. It isn't easy, most groups are established and it is a case of dead men's shoes on the whole.

I like playing different courses - and LOVE playing treat / elite courses - but more and more feel pretty happy with how things generally are at my home club on a week-to-week basis ?