Competition rules query - handicap allowance

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Hello - playing a comp tomorrow- it’s 3BBB one score to count 3/4 handicap allowance , max handicap 20.

I play off 23 - what would my handicap be for this comp ? Would it be 17 (3/4s of 23) or would it be 15 (3/4s of 20) not sure if the max handicap part is after or before the 3/4 allowance!

New to comps so thanks In advance!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would expect it to be 15. Handicap limits are generally to full handicap, however as the format of these comps are not really governed by any rules the organisers could what they like

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would've thought 20 would be the max playing h/c allowed, so I'd reckon you should get 17, surely you can't lose 8 shots, that's almost a third of your actual h/c .
I know we use 9/14ths of full H/c in the odd stableford comp .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would've thought 20 would be the max playing h/c allowed, so I'd reckon you should get 17, surely you can't lose 8 shots, that's almost a third of your actual h/c .

The idea of a max handicap is to try to protect the field and maintain quality of the competitors. A lot of clubs have now gone to a maximum handicap for entry rather than a maximum playing handicap.
If however they are saying it is a maximum playing handicap then the OP would have to playoff 15.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The idea of a max handicap is to try to protect the field and maintain quality of the competitors. A lot of clubs have now gone to a maximum handicap for entry rather than a maximum playing handicap.
If however they are saying it is a maximum playing handicap then the OP would have to playoff 15.
I understand what you're saying , but basically he's being cut twice.
I know we use 9/14ths of h/c in the odd stableford comp , to prevent the max 28 handcap receiving 2 strokes at 10 holes

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know we use 9/14ths of h/c in the odd stableford comp , to prevent the max 28 handcap receiving 2 strokes at 10 holes
Of course their full handicap will be used for handicap adjustment and CSS etc

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So can we all agree that you are both wrong?

The whole idea of restricting playing handicaps is so flawed I the modern day it's actually rather sad (so that's them)

Considering 28 as a max handicap, let alone the application of a strange handicap allowance to nominally restrict the provision of appropriate strokes, are equally sad.

At least the application of an actual handicap limit (eligibility) has some basis; but clearly that's not what's being discussed here.