Competition Closed

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you please clarify?
1) I was 14.2 last week then had a reduction of 0.9 down to 13.3
2) The comp you just played was a 4BBB scored as a medal.

The CONGU regulations state:
17.2 The following returns are not acceptable as Qualifying Scores:
(a) Scores returned in any better ball four-ball competition.

So you would not have any adjustment as a result of that comp.

Without seeing the details of your card can't explain your net 65/64.

Have you checked that your 13.3 was/is your handicap in the system prior to playing the 4BBB?

This was last week , & he got cut .9

This was this week when he should have been off the new handicap. which he put on the card but computer has not changed

​Thats my reading of it anyhow

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can you please clarify?

Have you checked that your 13.3 was/is your handicap in the system prior to playing the 4BBB?

1) Yes, I played in a Medal on 3/5/14 got a net 68 and a reduction of 0.9 (If you can access HDID look at the Medal result against the previous comp result, this will confirm the reduction)

2) Yes the comp played 10/5/14 was a 4BBB medal

Back to my original question....Is the competition closed once the results are published? And once it's closed does the result stand even though a mistake has been made?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you please clarify?

The CONGU regulations state:
17.2 The following returns are not acceptable as Qualifying Scores:
(a) Scores returned in any better ball four-ball competition.

So you would not have any adjustment as a result of that comp.

Without seeing the details of your card can't explain your net 65/64.

He's not asking for a reduction as a result of the 4BBB comp. He is asking if a competition result stands once the comp is closed regardless of an error being pointed out.

It is really quite simple

1) He played a qualifier off of 14.2 and got cut to 13.3
2) In the 4BBB the following week he put three quarters of 13 (10) on his card as that is his new handicap and he and his partner scored Nett 65.
3) On putting it into the computer, it had him as a Net 64
4) He has since realised that the computer hasn't been updated to reflect his new handicap which is why it gave him a lower score
5) He thinks he should have a Net 65 in the 4BBB not a Nett 64 and despite reporting this to the committee, they have posted the 4BBB results with him as the winner
6) He wants to know if the results can be changed after the comp has been closed
7) Nowhere has he suggested he should get cut for the 4BBB comp result

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm confused by some peoples responses on this.

I have always been told and I'm pretty god dam sure that we are always told that WE OURSELVES are responsible for our own handicaps irrelevant of what some computers may say at any given time and whether we have been informed or not of an expected cut! With that said, whether you were informed or not of your .9 cut, and I assume you were, you allowed for it anyway and rightly so in that last competition and if your computers are still showing your handicap as 14, that is their problem not yours as you have acted as expected by the rules of golf, IMHO.

Results stands I would think even though the committee has made an administration error

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
He's not asking for a reduction as a result of the 4BBB comp. He is asking if a competition result stands once the comp is closed regardless of an error being pointed out.

1) He played a qualifier off of 14.2 and got cut to 13.3
2) In the 4BBB the following week he put three quarters of 13 (10) on his card as that is his new handicap and he and his partner scored Nett 65.
3) On putting it into the computer, it had him as a Net 64
4) He has since realised that the computer hasn't been updated to reflect his new handicap which is why it gave him a lower score
5) He thinks he should have a Net 65 in the 4BBB not a Nett 64 and despite reporting this to the committee, they have posted the 4BBB results with him as the winner
6) He wants to know if the results can be changed after the comp has been closed
7) Nowhere has he suggested he should get cut for the 4BBB comp result

In a nutshell. Thanks Hawkeye

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not that simple. He (and you) say HE should have had ......
It would be more accurate and clearer if he had said THEY or WE.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm confused by some peoples responses on this.

I have always been told and I'm pretty god dam sure that we are always told that WE OURSELVES are responsible for our own handicaps irrelevant of what some computers may say at any given time and whether we have been informed or not of an expected cut! With that said, whether you were informed or not of your .9 cut, and I assume you were, you allowed for it anyway and rightly so in that last competition and if your computers are still showing your handicap as 14, that is their problem not yours as you have acted as expected by the rules of golf, IMHO.

Results stands I would think even though the committee has made an administration error

With correct reduced h/cap on score card as stated that's the way I see it too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my understanding is a "medal" is a handicap quali comp and the op states its was a medal, thats what puzzles me!

been clearer if it was just a 4BBB

D

Deleted member 15344

I would believe that the comp would be closed regardless of the mistake and the result stands :thup:

Well done - good shooting

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
my understanding is a "medal" is a handicap quali comp and the op states its was a medal, thats what puzzles me!

Well it's certainly not 4BBB - as it's not Matchplay.

Two Ball Medal is perfectly reasonable description - you play as a team, with 2 balls and the better Medal score, as opposed to Stableford, is used for each hole. And presumably half combined handicap is subtracted to calc the nett score.

As for the question in the OP. I suggest you contact the H/Sec and find out what the story is with your handicap. Then Comp/Sec to query whether any correction makes a difference. Or maybe just the Comp/Sec to find out why your cut wasn't actioned etc.

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

Two Ball Medal is perfectly reasonable description - you play as a team, with 2 balls and the better Medal score, as opposed to Stableford, is used for each hole. And presumably half combined handicap is subtracted to calc the nett score.

Half combined is for foursomes. As it's a better ball, it's 3/4's of the individual handicap.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

Nope, Medal does not mean it's a handicap qualifier. You can have winter Medals that are non qualifiers. A Medal is a stroke play comp rather than a stableford.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Half combined is for foursomes. As it's a better ball, it's 3/4's of the individual handicap.

Doh! :rolleyes: I had meant to post that, then went into Foursomes mode trying to figure out what a 'Foursomes non-Matchplay' would be (Foursomes Medal, Foursomes Comp are common descriptions) . Another name for the comp you played is 2BBB Medal.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Definitions:

Forms Of Match Play

Single: A match in which one player plays against another player.
Threesome: A match in which one player plays against two other players, and each side plays one ball.
Foursome: A match in which two players play against two other players, and each side plays one ball.
Three-Ball: Three players play a match against one another, each playing his own ball. Each player is playing two distinct matches.
Best-Ball: A match in which one player plays against the better ball of two other players or the best ball of three other players.
Four-Ball: A match in which two players play their better ball against the better ball of two other players.

Forms Of Stroke Play

Individual: A competition in which each competitor plays as an individual.
Foursome: A competition in which two competitors play as partners and play one ball.
Four-Ball: A competition in which two competitors play as partners, each playing his own ball. The lower score of the partners is the score for the hole. If one partner fails to complete the play of a hole, there is no penalty.
Note: For bogey, par and Stableford competitions, see Rule 32-1.
Four-Ball

See “Forms of Match Play” and “Forms of Stroke Play.”