Competion Organisers "28"

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long do you think it will take club competition organisers to stop thinking of the number 28 for handicaps?

E.g max handicap 28

I have always thought it a very odd number bearing no real relation to anything else.

Even when it was three quarters it gave playing handicap of 21. Now its 90% it makes even less sense.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How long do you think it will take club competition organisers to stop thinking of the number 28 for handicaps?

E.g max handicap 28

I have always thought it a very odd number bearing no real relation to anything else.

Even when it was three quarters it gave playing handicap of 21. Now its 90% it makes even less sense.

i always thought it came from needing to shoot 100. ie par 72 + 28 handicap

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
competition organisers won't be the problem! Generally they will either be informed, or get informed when everyone else (exaggeration but it always feels like it) argues for a limit/restriction.

Same with the moves from 3/4 handicap 7/8 etc etc - and when 90% moves to 100 for 4BBB matches that one too!

However, 2020 and it will all be forgotten, as everyone (again) moves on to the problems of any new handicap system (in their view of course...)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will be interesting for the future.

I have just had a 'bit of discussion' with our Seniors Committee (who set their own comps rules) as to why they wanted to impose a limit of 28 when just 4 players have had increases of just one or two shots.

Although personally I am just about to recommend a limit of 27 for 4BBB comps where a trophy is involved (my recommendation is based upon the hole where stroke index 7 comes, a shortish par 3).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would seem to be fuelling the fire yourself then!

Surely the starting point should be total inclusion; and any restrictions or limits should get implemented as and when it is established that they would be justified?

Not sure where a limit of 27 comes into things - CONGU rules don't provide for absolute limits in match play competitions and require the application of their stroke allowances.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was not talking about match play per se.

We already limit by handicap entry in to Opens (as do a lot of clubs). My comment re OP is to reference why clubs will continue with a specific handicap such as 28.

CONGU have no objections to having a handicap limit for entry.

We intend to have no limit for club singles comps to win money, it was more the winning of trophies that I was looking at. Many of our trophies originate from a time when you had to have a maximum handicap of 18 to play in the comp.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was not talking about match play per se.

We already limit by handicap entry in to Opens (as do a lot of clubs). My comment re OP is to reference why clubs will continue with a specific handicap such as 28.

CONGU have no objections to having a handicap limit for entry.

We intend to have no limit for club singles comps to win money, it was more the winning of trophies that I was looking at. Many of our trophies originate from a time when you had to have a maximum handicap of 18 to play in the comp.

Sorry, mis read your post 're 4BBB and thought it related to strokes given rather than max handicap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always linked it that way in my head as well. I've never seen it written anywhere else though so could just be coincidence.

It's unlikely as 28 is only a relatively recent upper limit.

Was 18, then 24, then 28.

Various links associated withn7/8 and 3/4 handicap allowances etc etc. The changes to the underlying basis seemed to be a factor in the move to 28 as well.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will be interesting for the future.

I have just had a 'bit of discussion' with our Seniors Committee (who set their own comps rules) as to why they wanted to impose a limit of 28 when just 4 players have had increases of just one or two shots.

Although personally I am just about to recommend a limit of 27 for 4BBB comps where a trophy is involved (my recommendation is based upon the hole where stroke index 7 comes, a shortish par 3).

I must say I am rather surprised. I would expect the Seniors Section to follow the guidelines set by the main Club Committee. I know of a fair number of clubs that will not have a Seniors Captain to prevent the Seniors wielding too much power.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must say I am rather surprised. I would expect the Seniors Section to follow the guidelines set by the main Club Committee. I know of a fair number of clubs that will not have a Seniors Captain to prevent the Seniors wielding too much power.

We have always let the seniors set their own rules in so far as they do not conflict with club and CONGU rules. We don't have a Senior Captain but we do have a senior committee with a chairman.

The only 'power' they have is that the chairman is automatically on the Captain's Committee.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have always let the seniors set their own rules in so far as they do not conflict with club and CONGU rules. We don't have a Senior Captain but we do have a senior committee with a chairman.

The only 'power' they have is that the chairman is automatically on the Captain's Committee.

But there is surely a conflict. Quote from CONGU manual:

"A Member must have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year and to submit Qualifying Scores in accordance with Clause 21."

So your Seniors Section will not allow 4 players who happen to have a handicap above 28 to compete in qualifiers in the normal way with genuine CONGU competition handicaps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"A Member must have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year and to submit Qualifying Scores in accordance with Clause 21."

There is plenty of opportunity to play in club medals/stablefords outside of the seniors once a fortnight Monday comp.

We run comps on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The 28 is a maximum handicap allowance to win money, all handicapped players are allowed to play in the comp as are those without competition status.