Comparing 5 woods

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I've just been to the range to try out the two 5 woods I got from Golfbidder.

One is a Cobra AMP with a Motore F1 75g Stiff fujikura shaft. The other is the Cleveland Launcher Ultralight with a Miyazaki Tour Issue Superlite 43r International Flex 7511 shaft.

Can anyone tell me the characteristic of these two shaft and why possibly one would be better for me than the other?

My swing speed with a 6i is about 86mph so I've been told I need a stiff shaft. I had a stiff shaft Cleveland driver which I get on well with.

When hitting these two 5w I struggled to get the Cobra airbourne with only about 200 carry. With the Cleveland I was seeing a high ball flight with much more distance. I think I'll be sticking with the Cleveland but I'm just interested in why the two shafts would give different results.

The only down side to this choice is the Miyazaki shaft is a yucky gold colour!! The Fujikura a nice deep red :(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You need Comparethe5wood.com.....

The 4 digit number on the Cleveland shows that the butt is fairly stiff, the next few inches about medium and the tip is soft - ie it will kick into the ball and hit it higher. It's an International flex rating system that Miyazaki have developed..

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It certainly works, the flight from this shaft is lovely, nice and high and flies quite a way. On this initial 25 ball test the Cleveland is winning. I hope to try them both out on course tomorrow (if our pro has some club tape)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The motore is a low launch low spin shaft so is hard to get air Bourne, I've got the f1 65g and that can be hard work.

There's a buyer lined up for your 5w you know this ;-))

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mashley, on a serious note I have a couple of other amp shafts your welcome to try, one is a Voodoo sv7 stiff, and one is the standard rip 55g stiff, their both from right handed versions, but as the fct does nothing other than open closed, see to neutral will be fine. Let me know and I'll make arrangements to get them down to chris if it helps

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for offer. My initial thoughts are that I'll send the AMP back and keep the Clever. Todays stableford will help make my mind up.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
32 points. Not good enough but that was just general bad play. I wasn't the only one to have a bad day though, ay Chris? ;)

In terms of 5 wood I didn't hit the Cobra. I used the Cleveland on two holes where I've struggled to hit a driver in the past, both with good results. I also used on on two par 5's for 2nd shots and the results were good. I have to say I love the flight of the Cleveland shaft and I think the ribbing I'm going to get for having a gold shaft will be worth it in the end.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
32 points. Not good enough but that was just general bad play. I wasn't the only one to have a bad day though, ay Chris? ;)

In terms of 5 wood I didn't hit the Cobra. I used the Cleveland on two holes where I've struggled to hit a driver in the past, both with good results. I also used on on two par 5's for 2nd shots and the results were good. I have to say I love the flight of the Cleveland shaft and I think the ribbing I'm going to get for having a gold shaft will be worth it in the end.

Ribbing!!! From who?