coming ' over the top'

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know the problem but cannot find a simple solution.

I am mid 60's and restricted with my shoulder turn, coupled with a slight problem in my lower back right hand side for which I have had a couple of Physio sessions.

Have looked on You Tube without success.

Possibly too many swing thoughts including, closed stance, shoulder hips knees closed, flatter swing plane, in to out rather than out to in.

I am struggling with distance off the tee amd hit about 190 yards. Play off 13 and my short game is pretty good which is the saving grace.

Any help would be appreciated

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try aiming your body left of the green/fairway/target.
Then try and hit the ball to the right of the green/fairway/target.
That will help with your swing path
I envy you living in the Cumbria, it's as flat as a pancake here in Lincolnshire :(

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll go a bit left field and ask if it's causing you any serious problem (s)?

If not, do you need to change given your physical limitations?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll go a bit left field and ask if it's causing you any serious problem (s)?

If not, do you need to change given your physical limitations?

Like the physical limitations bit! I actually go to the gym 2/3 times a week but get your point.

The problem is Gareth I play with an extremely competitive Group and this yearn layer in TheLexus Challenge where we played Lindrick/Ganton/Moortown. Playing the 16th at Ganton I did not get over the big bunker; we were off the White rees hence my worry

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Trust Bob, 'cause he's the Pro, but....

I was advised that a good way to prevent my minor OTT problem was to make sure that I feel as if my hands are dropping perpendicularly (they won't be but it's the feel that's important) rather than throwing/casting them. The other, earlier, 'tip' was to make sure my release was towards mid-off (slips side) rather than mid-on (square leg side). As swing was formed as a hockey player of old, I've always had a short swing, so the temptation to get quick and cast is ever present!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It works for me when I start coming ott, I get to the top of the swing and try to feel my arms start to swing down and separating from my upper body so that my hands and arms slightly outrace my torso turning.

As I say, it works for me!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Like the physical limitations bit! I actually go to the gym 2/3 times a week but get your point.

The problem is Gareth I play with an extremely competitive Group and this yearn layer in TheLexus Challenge where we played Lindrick/Ganton/Moortown. Playing the 16th at Ganton I did not get over the big bunker; we were off the White rees hence my worry

I didn't mean it like that!!! :mad:

My dad has an artheritic knee and hip so has very limited mobility.

He hits everything with an OTT swing and hits such a consistent fade through the bag it's not even funny.

If he had a short game, he'd be off single figures no problem.