Coming out of the trees

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
5 iron is like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

de-loft the he'll out of an 8 irom. get the hands well forward. keep you weight left and hit down on the ball with a little dunt. No follow through.

It is much easier to control the shorter shaft of say and 8 iron. Other short irons are available and work too.
I'm with you Gary, an 8 iron in my mind is more predictable than a 5.
The ball should be placed back in the stance to ensure ball 1st contact, so a 5, in my experience, sends the ball too low hitting rubbish as it goes

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to use 5 or 6 iron for these, ball well back in my stance - to be honest probably closer to my back foot than centre even. Then I aim to keep the club head low at the finish rather than swimming it normally - kind of like a cricket stroke more than a golf stroke so hands feel massively in front of the club face at impact. Usually comes screaming out nice a low - barely gets above knee height for me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;glkCiVZAz_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glkCiVZAz_M[/video]

Same technique from the me and my golf boys

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
he didn't push it - just forgot if you put the ball back some & the swing AoA is more down the clubface is swinging out to the rightfiield some, of his original aimpoint, face also looking rightfield - something to consider if trying to play through a small gap in a treeline

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mighty impressive stuff :thup: good to see you have time to work on your own stuff as well as everyone on here.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same technique from the me and my golf boys

Good vid

but i have to say

What the bejesus are they wearing??

600px-Commando_206.jpg