Coming into impact - Picture included

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not long back from a lunch break 25 balls at the range.

It seems the lessons and practice are paying off as out of the 25 balls I hit, I hit 2 blocks and 2 shanks, with the majority of the balls on or around the green the went either straught or a very slight draw .My only 2 misses left came from an over draw. The stat I'm most happy about though is zero pulled shots :D

While I was there, I decided, as I hadn't seen my swing in a while, to take a quick swing video of me hitting an 8 iron to the 150 yard green. I'll admit the video isn't brilliant as I had to balance my phone on my bag, on top of a pair of shoes :mad: as I was the only one at the range and couldn't ask anyone.

Here's a still from the video of me about half way down coming into impact:

null_zps74787cdc.png

Is this a good position to be in coming into impact?

If it helps, The shot I hit was straight to the green with a very slight draw. The ball bounced short and ran on to the green.

Any opinions as always welcome :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tough to tell from a still, but.

Not lot of hip rotation, nor any leg action apparent. I would expect hips to be quite open at that point. Armsy? Opening the left foot 20-30 degrees might encourage better lower body movement.
Balance seems a bit on the toes
Good lag though

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree it's tough to tell from the still.

It didn't help also that the lighting was poor (raining) and that I'm wearing black troo's, but my hips, in that picture have actually rotated past their address position.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As already agreed, it's difficult from one pic (in the dark) but I think I can see your left thigh. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to see mine halfway down, although I might be wrong.

I also think my right foot would have started to roll over by then, and I'd expect my hands to be closer to impact with the club in that position, but since Foxholer said good lag and I'm happy to admit to being less knowledgeable than him, I could well be wrong on that too. :thup:

So in summary - I could be wrong. A lot.

HTH :mad:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I see what you both mean about the rear foot. Ill take that on board.

One thing I would add is another picture. This one of Luke Donald.

null_zps0f9e340c.png

His foot hasn't lifted all that much more than mine at a similar point in the down swing.

I'm not trying to compre mine to his as a direct comparison. That would be daft :mad:

Just curious to your thoughts.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Gareth. I agree it's difficult to see your positions in that photo.

You do seem to have your right foot still planted and I would prefer to see it rolling in at this position as the right knee pushes towards the left. Again its hard to see but Luke's heel has come off the ground.

In an attempt to help you with this and your previous post regarding hip rotation please look at this video from Shawn Clements, it is good at showing how to maintain posture while correctly rotating the hips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks fine to me apart from the pigeon-toed left foot, it should (in my opinion) be more flared.

Left hip is open, shoulders are still closed, club is in front of you, right elbow is in front of the side seem of your t-shirt, club face is turned down 15 degrees,.... can't knock it.

(also have no problem with the right heel staying down as I'd assume it was ABOUT to lift slightly at/thru impact)

did you top it? :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
right leg looks very straight. the right knee doesn't look to be working towards the left.

I have no idea what this means though. :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thats for your thoughts guys :thup:

It's as I assumed. Top half is OK, but lower half still needs work.

I've always had a lazy hip turn, which has caused me no end of problems, which is what I'm currently working on. Starting my downswing at the hip with a move to the left and rotating while keeing my arms out of the swing.

I'll get there.

Thanks again for your thoughts :)

...... And, No James, I didn't top it :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Me again :mad:

Speaking on turning the hips. I have always allowed my right leg to straighten in the backswing. Not lock out, but there is a definate change in flex between address and reaching the top of my swing.

Would I be better keeping more flex in my right leg in the backswing and would this, in turn, help me turn my hips better?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth,

This video is good to give a fel on how the hips should rotate in the downswing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_dNTaLghI

Thanks for that Brian.

I watched the Shaun Clement clip last night, which confirmed what I thought as per how the hips turn.

I'll watch the above clip in a moment.

I'm just curious to see if the straightening of my right leg is having a determental effect in turning my hips.

A

Alex1975

Was thinking about this last night... ball went to target, job done....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks fine to me apart from the pigeon-toed left foot, it should (in my opinion) be more flared.

Left hip is open, shoulders are still closed, club is in front of you, right elbow is in front of the side seem of your t-shirt, club face is turned down 15 degrees,.... can't knock it.

(also have no problem with the right heel staying down as I'd assume it was ABOUT to lift slightly at/thru impact)

did you top it? :rofl: :rofl:

James, a quick question on the above that's in bold.

When continuing to turn into impact Should my shoulders be square to my toe line as I make contact with the ball?

Last night I played 27 holes after work as a little experiment (..... And got soaked in the process)

When I let my shoulders turn more freely, I hit some really poor shots. When I resisted more (... Againt my hip turn) with my shoulders I hit some really crisp shots. When I did this, it felt like my shoulders were more square to target as opposed to open.

Just curious as to your views on shoulder position at impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The club is held by your hands which are attached to your arms and shoulders. If your shoulders are facing left at impact, you will swing the club left. (Usually)
IMO, that is why most golfers slice.
Fire the hips, transfer the weight but keep the resistence in the shoulders and keep them square as long as you can. Then you can hit it as hard as you want.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The club is held by your hands which are attached to your arms and shoulders. If your shoulders are facing left at impact, you will swing the club left. (Usually)
IMO, that is why most golfers slice.
Fire the hips, transfer the weight but keep the resistence in the shoulders and keep them square as long as you can. Then you can hit it as hard as you want.

Thanks for that Bob.

I did a little digging last night on YouTube, looking at what I consider good ball striking players positions at impact:

Luke Donald (... Taken from same clip as above)

null_zps938790db.png

Now I know what I'm looking for feeling wise.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you run the clip of Luke into his follow through, you'll see very clearly the difference between a swing that stays "out there" compared to someone who pulls the club across the ball through impact causing the slice spin

Photo1dtl3.jpg

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you run the clip of Luke into his follow through, you'll see very clearly the difference between a swing that stays "out there" compared to someone who pulls the club across the ball through impact causing the slice spin

View attachment 7187

Would I be right in saying at that point in LD's swing that his arms are extending (.. Both arms straight) down the line of the intended shot, before moving to the left?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would I be right in saying at that point in LD's swing that his arms are extending (.. Both arms straight) down the line of the intended shot, before moving to the left?

Short answer..yes
Long answer ...yesssssssssssss

(Helped by the left arm staying straight and not pulling the club left (chicken wing))