Coming into impact - Picture included

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Short answer..yes
Long answer ...yesssssssssssss

(Helped by the left arm staying straight and not pulling the club left (chicken wing))

:rofl:

I get it Bob. It's basically a case of moving and rotating my weight into my left side, while resisiting the lower turn with my shoulders.

Thanks Bob.

I think the bit that I'm (....Mentally) struggling with is the fact the the power is genertaed from rotation and not from my shoulders/arms firing the club to the ball.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
:rofl:

I get it Bob. It's basically a case of moving and rotating my weight into my left side, while resisiting the lower turn with my shoulders.

Thanks Bob.

I think the bit that I'm (....Mentally) struggling with is the fact the the power is genertaed from rotation and not from my shoulders/arms firing the club to the ball.

You're thinking about it backwards Gareth, don't think that your hips clear and your shoulders come second, think that your shoulders come first but they've already pushed your hips out of the way. If you try and resist your shoulders you are slowing down your swing, this can lead to stalling and all sorts of problems. In the best swings it's the shoulders that keep moving the entire time, the faster the better, when they slow down you're dead in the water.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it, your shoulders hips appear to be fine, clearly you do that naturally so don't even need to worry yourself thinking about what your hips/shoulders are doing. If you posted a pic and they were all over the place then I'd say differently. I'd still flare that left foot a fraction though :p

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Gareth,

I suggest you replace the word 'resist' with another expression - like 'maintain square to target shoulders'.

'resist' is counter productive to a 'free' flowing swing. The thought of pushing hips out of the way seems quite good.

Does seem like there's some potential for 'too many thoughts' though.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it, your shoulders hips appear to be fine, clearly you do that naturally so don't even need to worry yourself thinking about what your hips/shoulders are doing. If you posted a pic and they were all over the place then I'd say differently. I'd still flare that left foot a fraction though :p

I've seen you mention this before. Is there a reason you, personally, prefer it?

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've seen you mention this before. Is there a reason you, personally, prefer it?

It'll let your lower body turn through much easier. Try it, with the left foot dead square you should find it pretty uncomfortable to get your belt buckle facing target unless you're very flexible, whereas flared there's much less resistance in your left side.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It'll let your lower body turn through much easier. Try it, with the left foot dead square you should find it pretty uncomfortable to get your belt buckle facing target unless you're very flexible, whereas flared there's much less resistance in your left side.

Thanks for that pal :thup:

I guess it's just a case of putting the effort in at the range and accepting the changes need to be made if I want to progress.

A very indifferent range session today. Hit some cracking shots, some not so good. Didn't miss many left though :smirk:

.... The work continues.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth, why not try pulling the left foot back a .....erm...foot (6" is fine but didnt let me be humerous:rolleyes:) and hitting half shots with a 7/8 iron to get the feeling of turning/clearing the hips at the same time as the chest squares to impact......

just a thought.....

I do think you look off balance and slightly toppling forward in your pic, might explain some sh*nks and other shots

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, why not try pulling the left foot back a .....erm...foot (6" is fine but didnt let me be humerous:rolleyes:) and hitting half shots with a 7/8 iron to get the feeling of turning/clearing the hips at the same time as the chest squares to impact......

just a thought.....

I do think you look off balance and slightly toppling forward in your pic, might explain some sh*nks and other shots

Could be an option Colin.

As t stands I'm hitting some lovely, crisp iron shots just now. Had a fairly decent range session today.

As I said, the more I do it the more natural it will feel.