cold turkey

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all
Had my second scarey lesson on Monday and so far am coping quite well - (to disgust of my playing partners!)I have been hitting quite solidly apart from the odd howler and my irons are definitely improving though I still want more distance.
However - we are now away for a week - WITHOUT CLUBS (possibly longest away from the game since we began!)
- no golf
- limited TV (i.e. probably no Masters)
- no internet
- NO FORUM
How will I cope?
Will report back next weekend (if I haven't cracked up completely).
Happy golfing (and viewing) everyone.

See yah!

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dear Ali, what possesed you to book time away during Masters week. I hope this was a mistake by Him Indoors for which you will exact suitable revenge.

I'm glad you are hitting the ball better. I went to the range tonight and for about 30 minutes I was in the zone. Perfect rhythm and timing got the ball flying very high and long with a hint of draw.

Went for a nature break and the spell was broken. Couldn't string two shots together. Have to say that even when I was hitting it well tonight I couldn't help feeling I am still about 5-10 yards down on where I was last year.

However I am not looking to change that and I suggest you don't too. My swing changes are beginning to work and I am hitting much more solidly and more importantly straight. I'd rather take one more club to the green than strive for those extra yards and throw everything out of synch.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know, I know, I have no one to blame but myself (and our friends who can only go in school hols) as I didn't check the golfing calendar and nor did mr B.
Homer, you're very wise on the distance thing but I'm getting frustrated at my best mate (we started together) consistently hitting two (or more ) clubs less than me for same distance.
Doesn't really matter, I tell myself, at least on our home course, but it still gets to me!
Anyway, today my inferiority complex was assauged by my emerging victorious.
Distance, who needs distance?
(Actually, she is also good on short game. Think I got lucky, and also kept my cool better, but it still feels good!)

AliB

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ali

A socrecard paints no pictures. You don't have to record what clubs you used per hole only how many times. There are a lot of tour pros who are short hitters (in comparitive terms) but who manage to win or finish high up regularly.

In fact being short can be an advantage. If you are playing a match and getting out hit you will always be hitting into the green first. If you can regularly get it on (ideally as close as possible) it really does put the pressure on your opponent. If you keep doing it that pressure builds up cumulatively and if you concede a few putts and then make them hole a testy 2 footer it is amazing how often they crumble.

All fair and above board and a good way for us shorties to get back some sort of advantage.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with you Homer, over the last few months I have realised that I am just as well off concentrating on hitting the fairway and using a mid iron than trying to welly it and be left with a short iton from the rough, bunker, trees etc.

That is how my wife competes on the course, will never hit it as far but she is pinpoint accurate with her drives.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
A scorecard paints no pictures. You don't have to record what clubs you used per hole only how many times.

I'm glad someone else has said this.....I get fed up with the old "it's not how but how many" chestnut. "How" is important to an aspiring golfer.....better to make 18 bogeys knowing you had a chance at 18 pars than to celebrate scraping 18 over with woeful play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dave

I think HOW is important at whatever level you have played. We've all had days where we have actually struck the ball quite well tee to green but perhaps have missed too many greens and not holed enough putts. I know I have. You feel like you have actually played pretty well but when you do the final tally you realise the cost of these loose shots and that you have maybe missed your handicap by one or two.

Conversely we have all had those rounds where it feels like evey shot is poorly struck but somehow it finds a fairway. Every approach is functional without being out of the middle and you feel the putting has been average without setting the world alight. And lo you come in with 38 points