Coffee makers

Mick47

Head Pro
Visit site
We've been thinking about getting one of those fancy coffee makers as we rarely drink tea and we're a bit fed up with instant. Thing is they are expensive and the choice is bewildering. Looked at a lot of reviews online but thought I'd check here to see if forumers have any experience of the said machines.
We've been looking at the De' Longhi Compact ESAM4200 Magnifica and it seems to fit the bill, but at the same price as a new set of irons I'm a tad hesitant. Anyone got an opinion?

Last edited:
D

deanobillquay

I have a De Longhi coffee machine that rarely gets used. I only really use it for espresso

Best way is to grind your own beans (use a burr grinder though) and brew with a cafetiere/French press - these can be picked up quite cheaply. Best way to have fresh coffee IMO.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We've been looking at the De' Longhi Compact ESAM4200 Magnifica and it seems to fit the bill, but at the same price as a new set of irons I'm a tad hesitant. Anyone got an opinion?

You need worry no longer.
It's been reduced to only £240 from £399. on Amazon

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have a nespresso machine and it is fantastic. We also use a cafetiere which is a good all rounder. In laws have a gaggia machine plumbed into their kitchen (@£500) and our nespresso machine is better!

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was contracting I bought a commercial filter coffee machine, Bravilor, 14 years later still working. Prior to that we had got through 3 domestic filter machines.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another shout for Nespresso, easy to use , easy to keep clean , great choice of coffee (flavours and strengths) and the coffee tastes fantastic

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just a simple cafetiere for me. Quick and easy to use and plenty of choice of coffees in the supermarkets. Guy I work with spent £400 on a Di Longhi, he is pleased with it but just seems a bit of overkill to me.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also have a De Longhi,it is used every day and makes great espresso.If I want a milder coffee I just top up the espresso with boiling water Americano style.Cafetieres and Nespresso type machines make coffee that just isn't the same to me,albeit they are both better than instant!

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Nespresso machine here too. Easy to use and clean. Coffee tastes just like you get from cafes in Italy. Espresso, Latte and American style coffee.

I got my machine for £140 reduced from £200 and included £40 of free coffee. Each capsule costs between 29p and 33p. Add the milk and sugar and you can make a Latte for about 50p. As good or better than the ones you pay £2.50 - £3.50 for out in town.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All depends what you are after, i have a Gaggia classic but you also need a decent grinder which will set you back over a £100 and theres the chew on getting the grind right etc.

Probably best off getting one of the Nesspresso machines if you just want a simple no fuss machine.