Cobra F9 driver and spin numbers

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a go at all the new drivers and this one was winning hands down on all aspects for me.... not enough for me to buy was only 3 yards longer than my epic and not much in it consistency wise (front/back and left right dispersion we’re similar)

But if anybody in the market for a new driver I’d suggest trying.

Quick question on spin though- you can change the weights- when I was putting forward was coming in about 1850, putting it back was only 300-400 revs higher 2150-2250 on average.... which would you say is “better”? Setting? I’d imagine the higher is more controllable as its still relatively low spin? But the 1850 might be better for my windy track?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe (but happy to be corrected) that the spin should change the flight of the ball. So with the weights at the front and the ball spiining less you should see a more penetrating lower ball flight whereas when the weight is at the back the ball should fligh higher.

With regards to which weight placement is better will all depend on how you want the ball to fly I would guess?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a go at all the new drivers and this one was winning hands down on all aspects for me.... not enough for me to buy was only 3 yards longer than my epic and not much in it consistency wise (front/back and left right dispersion we’re similar)

But if anybody in the market for a new driver I’d suggest trying.

Quick question on spin though- you can change the weights- when I was putting forward was coming in about 1850, putting it back was only 300-400 revs higher 2150-2250 on average.... which would you say is “better”? Setting? I’d imagine the higher is more controllable as its still relatively low spin? But the 1850 might be better for my windy track?

I've been doing a bit of research on this as I have a very low spin driver (SLDR) and not a very quick swing (90 mph to 100 mph).

There is a cross over point in terms of speed. Higher speed generates more spin which will launch the ball higher (too high in many cases).

So higher speed players will benefit from lower spin equipment, to get the optimum ball flight.

I would say 1,850 is probably too low and you would probably need to add loft to a driver spinning at that level to get the optimal ball flight / distance.
A low spinning driver probably also has weight forward, meaning a smaller sweet spot.

Most of the Pros testing on YT are looking at spin rates of 2100 to 2300, and are generally using 9 degree drivers.

With regards to the windy track, I am thinking I might keep my SLDR (and low ball flight) to keep in play on windy days up at East Ren.

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was the other thing with it- 9 degrees is my setting but even at that for me it seemed to launch really high even with the low spin- a few I thought oh I’ve ballooned that and the spin was still low.

I felt it launched high with both settings- would need to have another go I think to compare.

Not sure id want as high a launch at east ren on a windy day but would love to get it out on the course.

Think that’s possibly one of the issues of trying on a launch monitor- not many fitters will let you course test a driver before buying

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it's just optimum distance you want, one of the radar companies has a look up which shows ideal combinations of club head speed, launch and spin. It's rocket science, apparently...

Having said that, 1850 sounds a bit low to be useable for an am.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That was the other thing with it- 9 degrees is my setting but even at that for me it seemed to launch really high even with the low spin- a few I thought oh I’ve ballooned that and the spin was still low.

I felt it launched high with both settings- would need to have another go I think to compare.

Not sure id want as high a launch at east ren on a windy day but would love to get it out on the course.

Think that’s possibly one of the issues of trying on a launch monitor- not many fitters will let you course test a driver before buying

Maybe just have the ball a bit further back.

I guess the other issue with getting fitted like this is there are so many variables. In terms of how you are swinging on a given day, strike, the ball you use, wind speed and direction, temperature etc.

Certainly gets to a point where spending £300 or £400 on a new club is going to hardly deliver any gains.

Where were you demoing?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

What is your launch angle and angle of attack?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t remember exactly Jacko it wasn’t a proper fitting just testing vs my own- they have a cobra fitter going in tomorrow I’m tempted to go and see what he can do.

The dots weren’t working great on the quad but remember one being 14ish launch and 3.9 up but not sure I trust it I’m usually about level to 1 degree up. Ball speed was about 140 so a pretty pitiful 1.4 SF given I’m usually 100mph SS

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had good numbers with the f9. Went to try it the day it arrived in store and had every intention of buying. I currently use and ltd pro and it’s great. However I couldn’t get over with how the crown looked. Far to messy and looked cheap. The sole of the club looks great though!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol I thought the sole looked worse but agree looks a bit cheap.

Looks don’t really bother me though tbh- the white version with Matt finish top might look better when it’s out