Cobra Amp Cell 'S'

caboose

Hacker
Visit site
Hello all! Been lurking a bit, but my first post!

Alas, after much thought, today I decided to drop some money into a 3H and a 3W, as I was in need of something beyond my 5 iron!

I have only started playing again recently (I am 26 now, stopped at about 12 when my dad passed away) but everything seems to have come back relatively quickly and I have got the bug. I do own an Adams V3 3H which I bought blind off eBay, but it has a regular shaft and my swing speed is just too fast for it! Although I seem to be consistently hitting 190-220 on the range with it, it is ballooning (I believe that is the term :D ) quite a lot! Having used my friends clubs, it was evident I need a stiff shaft as my swing is getting more consistent.

Nonetheless, after a trip to American Golf, and a LOT of different clubs I ended up parting with my cash for a Cobra Amp Cell S, matching 3H and 3W by chance.

Now, I thought I would have a read up on these just to see what the reviews were like, but it appears that there is NO information on them at all, other than a few shops selling them as 'clearance'. There is no real information other than two forum threads that I can find, with this post seemingly being the most helpful from an American forum:

From the info I have gathered from sales people and Cobra reps, Cobra is using the same casts from the prior years models (Amp to Amp-D and Amp Cell to Amp Cell-S) but are using a different material to cast the heads (more of a stainless steel). The thought is to make a cheaper club with better technology that will last longer. These clubs don't have the same feel but still will perform well. The shafts are not quite cheap or generic. The Amp-D irons have a KBS shaft and the Amp Cell-S irons have a True Temper shaft. The grips aren't quite the 3Gen from Lamkin, but are of sound quality too. I own the Amp-D irons and they play well and have worn better (lasted longer) than my previous clubs. The price at $249 was a great value!

Although this information doesn't really bother me, I just wondered if anyone had any further information on them other than a few posts online? In light of this, it does make sense as the head-cover is just a sock with a cobra label sewn into it, nothing fancy at all. Also, the Cobra Amp Cell has an adjustable hosel, whereas mine doesn't.

Ultimately, I hit them so much better than the Callaway, TaylorMade and Ping offerings I was given to try, so I shan't be contemplating returning them! A colleague of mine had recommended that I try Cobra as his hybrids were almost like 'cheating'; I can understand why he said this now!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got the first gen amp driver and 3 wood and love them. I think cobra along with taylormade have now realised although clubs are made adjustable, lots of people use them in stock standard position only, therefore making the manufacturing costs for the adjustable models a bit ott.

With this in mind dropping the adjustability makes them a great price pint product, so if it works go for it. I've had my amp since it was launched in 2012 and with the exception of playing with shafts, it has always sat in neutral position so effectively the aft/fct adjustment option was kinda pointless as a feature,

With this in mind I wish more manufactures would issue a speed fit shaft adaptor that wasn't adjustable and was solely there for the option of speed fit changing shafts,,, would be even better if every brand used the same speed fit lol

Happy hacking.

caboose

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers! Like I said, I really get on with them; Even mis-hits seem to get off the ground so I am utterly sold! It is just a bit.. odd.. that they aren't even on Cobra's website!

edit: inb4me oddsocks! Again, my bad, but there isn't any form of adjustment/quick release system on the club at all. Shaft into head, job done! I can upload some pics if necessary to get myself across :lol:

I can't wait to get out with them, got my first full round (weather permitting) 7th July!

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure TM have done a sldr s which is a similar set up. No adjustment for those who don't need it.

I'm sure the head covers will be the way they are as the original units will be sold out. I wouldn't suprise me if these budget lines were uk only hence them not being on cobra's site.. I'm sure I read somewhere else that it isn't out of the ordinary for certain clearance lines to be for certain areas only,,, I know TM move a lot of their old stock through American golf only so it could be the same with cobra,

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This sounds like a special mid price model made for Dick's Sporting Goods, a mid market sports store chain in the US. They have also had special TM models. Should be decent enough and many find the adjustability unnecessary, confusing or just a waste of money, so if the clubs suit you, then stick with them and no reason to change.

caboose

Hacker
Visit site
To be honest, I am a tinkerer by nature so I was actually avoiding adjustability!

Cheers for the clarity nonetheless gents, much appreciated! I shall be hitting the range tomorrow if work permits, so I am looking forward to that!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be honest, I am a tinkerer by nature so I was actually avoiding adjustability!

Cheers for the clarity nonetheless gents, much appreciated! I shall be hitting the range tomorrow if work permits, so I am looking forward to that!

In that case stay away from clubs like the r1 with 20 possible set ups or something silly. I to am a tinkerer, but I've always left the club set as neutral. That way it can only be my swing and not the club set up,

quofiend

Visit site
I came across this post/thread whilst looking for info on the Cobra Amp Cell-S hybrids.
Thought I'd post this info I got via email from Cobra UK.

====
The AMP Cell S were originally exclusively supplied to American Golf Stores.

Launched in the 2014 season, f

The Cobra Golf AMP Cell S Hybrid sports 17-4 stainless steel body and high strength steel face that gives strength with reduced weight allowing Advanced Material Placement and Cell technology to move discretionary weight for a 12% larger E9 face shape delivering faster ball speeds even on mis-hits.
This Cobra Golf AMP Cell S Hybrid also features:

• E9 Face technology provides a larger, lower sweet zone
  • Maximises distance
  • Faster ball speeds even on mis-hits
E9 Face technology provides a larger sweet zone that corresponds to the typical golfer impact pattern giving more consistent distance and AMP Cell technology frees up additional discretionary weight for a 12% larger effective face delivering faster ball speeds.

Available in three loft's 18, 21 & 24
Kind regards

. . . .
COBRA PUMA GOLF Customer Service UK & Ireland

=======
May be of use to someone.
Cheers