Clumps of grass cuttings

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like a lot of courses at present, our grass is growing at a phenomenal rate and the green staff - who are excellent - have a lot of work to keep on top of maintaining the fairways at a good height.
Some days it has just been too wet for the machinery, which means that when they do cut, there are a lot of clumps of wet grass on the fairways, even after they have used the brushing machine.
If the weather was nicer, they would dry and and blow away, but they are just sitting there.

I know that clippings are loose impediments so can be removed, but how thoroughly?
Behind the ball?
In front of the ball?
ON the ball?

My rule is "if in doubt, don't touch it" but I have an important match coming up and don't want to leave myself at a disadvantage if I can legally make things nicer!
Neither do I want to correct my opponent for doing something that she is perfectly entitled to.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grass cuttings piled for removal may be treated as ground under repair and grass cuttings not intended to be removed are loose impediments and may be brushed or moved from the line of play, except when they lie in the same hazard as the ball.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks.
I checked the Rules and was pretty sure I could sweep them away, but yesterday I didn't feel "right" about clearing them from in front of the ball.

I also had several occasions when there was a big chod of grass sticking to the ball itself, but I think I have to leave that alone.
If I hit the ball hard enough, it will fall off!