Clubs

tony84

Visit site
I have recently taken up golf again after giving up when I was a kid.

I am still using my old clubs (18 years old!) for now but I am going to need some decent ones soon enough.

After starting to read up, there appears to have been a lot of developements in that time and I am a little overwhelmed.

Irons wise, I seem to be able to hit them pretty straight 90% of the time but distance is probably on the lower side. I have done some reading and I think Mizuno JPX 800 would be a good shout? I had also eyed up the Ping G20's but they appear to be a little on the pricey side on ebay etc.

What do you think? Any thoughts on either of those or any others I may have missed?

On the driver front, this is where I really have come unstuck. I am useless at driving to the point where I can probably hit my 6 iron as far as my driver and a lot more consistantly. This is probably mostly me rather than the club and I could probably do with some lessons I think, but I may as well start the lessons with a decent driver. Any thoughts on something easy to use, goes straight, decent distance and at a decent price...not asking for too much am I?

Cheers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can buy the most expensive driver in the world and it wont hit the ball for you.
Get your lessons sorted, then ask your pro for guidance on what to buy.
Welcome to the forum

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
I'd recommend Ping G20 irons, they are a bit pricey 2nd hand but hold their value well so if you don't like them or want to upgrade after a few years you will find you will get a decent price for them.

tony84

Visit site
Are you recommending them purely for holding value?

Chances are I will end up playing with some semi decent golfers at some point. I am a little concerned that my shots are on the short side so I just want every bit of help I can to get those extra yards. I seem to be ok hitting them straight in the main and as my clubs are probably 18-20 years old any irons I get now should be at least as easy if not easier to hit straight? (although I could be completely wrong).

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk

Chances are I will end up playing with some semi decent golfers at some point. I am a little concerned that my shots are on the short side so I just want every bit of help I can to get those extra yards. I seem to be ok hitting them straight in the main and as my clubs are probably 18-20 years old any irons I get now should be at least as easy if not easier to hit straight? (although I could be completely wrong).
No I use G20s and I find them very forgiving and certainly longer than my previous clubs (Maxflis which were probably also 20 years old). Modern clubs in the main are much more forgiving meaning they still work if you miss the middle of the club, the extra length from my irons probably comes from that and the fact the lofts are a bit stronger.
The other thing is if you go on the Ping website you can measure yourself up and work out what custom fit size will work for you and by a set that matches that.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Use a club with less loft.